campsite/basecamp security

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Anyone who shoots a snake is only doing it because they WANT to. There's no NEED to shoot any snake.

Well, the thing is, even with all the noise I make and as observant as I try to be, there is still the chance that I'll walk right up on a snake without noticing. In fact, I've done it more than once, and the first I knew about it was when I heard the rattle - and it was WAY too close. My normal routine is to just back out the way I came. So far, that's always worked and I've never been bitten. They usually won't follow you.

But again, it's insurance. They don't *usually* follow an intruder who's backing out, but sometimes they DO. Vipers are hunters and they can be aggressive little bastards. If I start backing away, and that sucker starts moving TOWARD me, I'm shooting him. Sorry, but that's the point; if it's him or me, it's gonna be him if I have anything to say about it.

Like I said, I've never had to - yet. Hopefully I never will.

One the plus side though, if I did have to shoot him, I'd almost certainly eat him (and keep the skin and rattle). I've eaten rattlesnake, just never one that I personally killed. Not a big fan of the bones. I don't like bony fish either, but I'll deal with the bones when necessary.

But I have to disagree with you on the point about there never being a need to shoot snakes. In some parts of the country the bloody things are everywhere, and they'll bite dogs, goats, chickens, children. Sometimes the only practical choice is to thin out the local snake population.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I never carry a weapon, and never will. Just not something I feel is necessary. For me it boils down to a simple matter of where I like to go. We all select our destinations based on a variety of criteria including cool views, nice camping opportunities, and well...safety. As an example, while some of my friends feel safe camping along the Mexican border, I don't know much about it, so don't feel I can feel safe going there. I wouldn't make it any "safer" by adding a hand canon to the mix, so I don't go there. Maybe I'd be "safer" by virtue of being able to blow a hole in another human, but who the hell would want that? (okay...some would, not me.)

I just research the places I want to visit, ideally finding the places with fewer clowns likely to disrupt my backcountry enjoyment. This could be morons with fireworks, loud music, or nefarious intentions. As one who has spent literally hundreds of nights in the backcountry spanning 35+ years I will say this: I run into countless super nice people and cool animal encounters. Can't say I've ever had a bad run-in with anyone in the woods.

Largely because of where I chose to go.

Fireworks and loud music is not my concern (certainly not that would require one to arm up) as is some psychopath or growers because you just happened to be miles away from help or on their turf - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_Emerson

Many people don't carry and hope they never need it. I hope I never need it but prefer to be prepared if I do, just like my other recovery gear.

In the interest of not turning this into a gun vs. no-gun debate, my 2 cents would be to not be paranoid but also don't be oblivious to the potential dangers out there whether that's your vehicle breaking down, you breaking your ankle while hiking or you being forced into a situation where you have to defend yourself/family. As for basecamp security you have to make that decision for yourself, options are available from electric fences, to motion sensor lights etc. I will say while dogs are great companions and offer the early warning not all dogs do and it's a long term commitment when you bring a dog home - our's is like a member of our family so I certainly wouldn't recommend a dog just for the purpose of outdoor security.

conifers4

Suburban nomad
I keep myself and my loved ones protected but don't feel like I need to show a photo spread of my "arsenal".

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I keep myself and my loved ones protected but don't feel like I need to show a photo spread of my "arsenal".

Agreed. That's why I like the little .38. I'm not into brandishing. If I don't need it, then no one ever needs to know I have it.

1v6pony

Adventurer
My Aussie Toby, and a 40cal. I do prefer to have at least one other party while camping. evens the odds....

I never carry a weapon, and never will.

I just research the places I want to visit, ideally finding the places with fewer clowns likely to disrupt my backcountry enjoyment. This could be morons with fireworks, loud music, or nefarious intentions. As one who has spent literally hundreds of nights in the backcountry spanning 35+ years I will say this: I run into countless super nice people and cool animal encounters. Can't say I've ever had a bad run-in with anyone in the woods.

Largely because of where I chose to go.

Thats cool.....hope you stay this way, its a great world.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Thats cool.....hope you stay this way, its a great world.
It's not perfect, but it's really not bad either. I'm not so thick of head bone to think I'm impervious to the ill deeds of others, but I just feel a relative safety with regard to where I go, and how I come to be there. If a place smacks of potential danger, I'm likely to skip it. There's ample places in our fantastic country where I can travel and feel confident I'm safe. Even recently when traveling in a part of South America known to be frequented by FARC militants, we were only met with nice people.

Maybe it was growing up learning to take and throw punches with my local farm kid neighbors, but assessing threats and knowing when to avoid the hassle of conflict has served me well.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Having lived overseas, biked (both pedal & power) across our great country and spent many nights out backpacking and stealth camping in various forms I have never really felt threatened except once. I was camped with my significant other and a small child on BLM land miles from anywhere 20 miles down a really rough dirt road. Somewhere you wouldn't even expect to see someone. Late that afternoon I observed an old pick up drive by camp several times within a half hour period, slow, stop a few hundred yards from camp and then move on again. This scenario repeated itself numerous times. I took binoculars and observed two men scoping my camp with a rifle scope out of their truck window. Trust me when I say these two were very shady looking. After observing these two scoping my camp instructions were given to quietly start breaking camp as we were leaving. I will avoid confrontation at all costs and my prompt departure was my course of action. While we are breaking camp they pull their truck so that my only option to leave is blocked. They exit their vehicle which is now about 100 yards out, stand around watching, and finally start walking towards us. Every fiber in my body was telling me they were up to no good and we were in danger. I give instructions to the woman and child to get in the vehicle and lock the door. I had laid a Remington riot shotgun on the tailgate which they could not see from the direction they were approaching. When they were about 30 yards out I picked it up, stepped to the side of the truck in plain view and chambered a round as loudly as I could while never taking my eyes off of them. Never raised the weapon, just loudly chambered a round and then held it to my side. Their response was to start hurling obscenities at me and giving me the finger. Said they only wanted to see if we had some extra cigarettes and there was no need for the shotgun. I never even tried to explain to them how sketchy their actions were and that I had observed them with binoculars scoping our camp. Once the barrage of obscenities started I knew I'd made the right call. Only thing I said to them was "turn around & please move your truck....we're leaving now". Not another word was spoken on my part but they continued with the middle finger gestures as they walked back to the truck. Now maybe I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt it, and they were in need of some smokes but the question is......based on their actions do you let them walk up on you in a remote camp with a woman and child. My answer is no. Had I been in a campground with other campers in the vicinity I would certainly not have taken this route but I wasn't. In all my years of outdoor activities up to this point I have never taken my firearm out...never. I too believe that the vast majority of people in the world are kind, caring, law abiding citizens and will go out of their way to assist others. I have been on the receiving end of this kindness on many occasions in our country as well as overseas. But, anyone who believes that there are not evil people roaming around who will rob, rape, maim or even murder are living in fantasy land. Statistically chances are you'll never encounter the evil, only the good. I certainly hope this is the case. I think the question one has to ask is.....what if? When traveling in Canada and Mexico I carry the most potent bear spray I can find only because I can't legally carry in those countries. In the good old USA......I'll continue to carry in a responsible law abiding way and hope that I only come across the kind, caring people of the world. I wish all of you the same.

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
Having lived overseas, biked (both pedal & power) across our great country and spent many nights out backpacking and stealth camping in various forms I have never really felt threatened except once. I was camped with my significant other and a small child on BLM land miles from anywhere 20 miles down a really rough dirt road. Somewhere you wouldn't even expect to see someone. Late that afternoon I observed an old pick up drive by camp several times within a half hour period, slow, stop a few hundred yards from camp and then move on again. This scenario repeated itself numerous times. I took binoculars and observed two men scoping my camp with a rifle scope out of their truck window. Trust me when I say these two were very shady looking. After observing these two scoping my camp instructions were given to quietly start breaking camp as we were leaving. I will avoid confrontation at all costs and my prompt departure was my course of action. While we are breaking camp they pull their truck so that my only option to leave is blocked. They exit their vehicle which is now about 100 yards out, stand around watching, and finally start walking towards us. Every fiber in my body was telling me they were up to no good and we were in danger. I give instructions to the woman and child to get in the vehicle and lock the door. I had laid a Remington riot shotgun on the tailgate which they could not see from the direction they were approaching. When they were about 30 yards out I picked it up, stepped to the side of the truck in plain view and chambered a round as loudly as I could while never taking my eyes off of them. Never raised the weapon, just loudly chambered a round and then held it to my side. Their response was to start hurling obscenities at me and giving me the finger. Said they only wanted to see if we had some extra cigarettes and there was no need for the shotgun. I never even tried to explain to them how sketchy their actions were and that I had observed them with binoculars scoping our camp. Once the barrage of obscenities started I knew I'd made the right call. Only thing I said to them was "turn around & please move your truck....we're leaving now". Not another word was spoken on my part but they continued with the middle finger gestures as they walked back to the truck. Now maybe I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt it, and they were in need of some smokes but the question is......based on their actions do you let them walk up on you in a remote camp with a woman and child. My answer is no. Had I been in a campground with other campers in the vicinity I would certainly not have taken this route but I wasn't. In all my years of outdoor activities up to this point I have never taken my firearm out...never. I too believe that the vast majority of people in the world are kind, caring, law abiding citizens and will go out of their way to assist others. I have been on the receiving end of this kindness on many occasions in our country as well as overseas. But, anyone who believes that there are not evil people roaming around who will rob, rape, maim or even murder are living in fantasy land. Statistically chances are you'll never encounter the evil, only the good. I certainly hope this is the case. I think the question one has to ask is.....what if? When traveling in Canada and Mexico I carry the most potent bear spray I can find only because I can't legally carry in those countries. In the good old USA......I'll continue to carry in a responsible law abiding way and hope that I only come across the kind, caring people of the world. I wish all of you the same.

You should post this story in the Freaky scary camping stories thread.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/10705-Scariest-Freaky-moments-When-Camping-or-Offroad

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
First and foremost I always carry a sidearm. I always try and keep my phone charged, and I prefer to travel with a group of people. I'm very aware of my surroundings and respectful of my environment. I don't worry so much about the wildlife here in the lower 48 as much as I worry about some of the human population. There are some weird people to be found wondering the trails and forests. I've never felt the need to use a firearm, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chili

Explorer
My wife and I both have Concealed Handgun Licenses and carry the majority of the time, especially when out camping. When camping remotely I also typically bring along a shotgun. Otherwise, we keep lights on us or very handy at night, and keep an eye on one another when trekking away from camp in the dark (for restroom needs and whatnot).

Oh, and we do have two big dogs that help keep an eye on things.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I've been driving for half my life and a passenger in vehicles my whole life. I always wear my seatbelt. Never once needed it. But I always wear it.

Same applies to my CCW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles