4WheelResto

resto

Pacific Northwest
Experiment Final Pictures

Here are the final pictures of my experiment with various types of screws (after using a nylon brush to wash away debris) and some final thoughts:

After being left in garden x 18 months

garden screws2.jpg

After left in salty environment x 18 months. You can clearly see bubbling under siding of the 2 left screws. This is not due to galvanic corrosion, but rather because I was not careful in installing the screws and scratched the siding during screw installation. In fact I likely caused the screws to over torque and spin, not just scratching but also weakening the screws holding power. Don't over torque! Use silicone sealant on screw threads!

Salt screws.jpg

The screw (self-drilling) on the left, in the picture below, went in noticeably smoother than the others.
The 2 stainless steel screws appeared like new after 18 months.
Despite the self-drilling screw having performed so well, I do not recommend using self-drilling on a FWC as there holding power is greatly reduced and thus subject to loosening do to off road stresses - use self-tapping screws!!!

screw closeups.jpg

Under butyl siding looked like new.

srew dimple.jpg

There are small sections on the latches that still have galvanic coating on it and held up well. So don't try polishing your galvanized latches you will remove that protective coating. I like SS latches better.

Garden vs salt solution.jpg

The experiment is over.

Last edited:

resto

Pacific Northwest
Add on Shelter

Sticking with my minimalist design, a FWC shell accessorized with things I might carry in a backpack, here is the tarp I use.

bugout 12.jpg

With the mosquito netting down it forms a 12' by 12' sheltered space

60d18e26-fcc6-40b1-b175-90023c53f82c.jpg

It is perfect for over camp tables

444_3.jpg

Packed up it is 9" x 12" and weighs 6 lbs 8 oz

buout bag.jpg

It is the Nemo Bugout 12

GCecchetto

Adventurer
I see mine as a restomod; yours is a super high quality build from scratch. Thanks for showing us what can be done.

Thanks for the kind words. I've been thinking about renaming my build the USS Regret! So many things I wish I could go back and change. The main topic of remorse is the cabover. Really screwed myself building the camper with the intent to reuse the soft wall and roof from the FWC. I should have known I would ultimately decide to build a new roof and have a new soft wall sewn. If I had made that decision correctly. I would have a full cabover so that I wouldn't have a slide out bed to deal with. Should have built the cabover about four inches taller as well so the sleeping bags could stay on the bed with the roof down.

resto

Pacific Northwest
While traveling on the Duffie Lake Road in British Columbia,

we found a nice location to camp for the night,

Duffie 2.jpg

Notice how close I am to the trees on the passenger side.

Duffie 3.jpg

The small size of my truck and camper has some advantages - using the tarp setup helps compensate for the smaller space in the camper.

Last edited:

resto

Pacific Northwest
Rear Wall Organizer

My intention when I started with my camper was to mostly stick to paved roads and Provincial or State Campsites. And while I am hardly a "expedition camper" I am drawn to the more wilderness areas for camping these days.

Setup in a half dried up creek bed, below the hot springs, at Harrisons Hot springs, British Columbia.

harrison.jpg

Other posts have shown different types of wall storage. I quickly realized the best location was on the rear wall, next to the door, where it can be got at from inside or out - very handy! I used a " roll" intended to store screwdrivers that I bought from a tool store similar to Harbor Freight. It holds smaller items nicely, like: toothpaste, dental floss, lighter, small flashlight, multi-tool, Swiss army knife, etc.. .

Back wall.jpg

Another thing I found was the red "chalk bag" (pictured lower left) handy that holds a container of hand wipes

resto

Pacific Northwest
Interior Lighting

While I had run the wiring for lighting while the headliner and roof insulation was out; but I have stuck with my backpacker theme and used lightweight keychain flashlights for my interior lighting instead.

This is the latest one I have trialed and I really like it. I have 4 lights dangling from the "L-track" on the ceiling - it works well. Super lightweight. USB rechargeable.

Nitecore-Tube[5].jpg

By the way I'm going to be doing another build for a friend as soon as I can locate another camper. So if anyone knows of a good deal on a Ranger II or Eagle "needing work/build" please send me a PM.

Thanks, Resto

Last edited:

resto

Pacific Northwest
Solar Panels and Battery

Solar panels and battery. And my theme is to use stuff that you might take backing - this should be interesting...

I need power to charge cell phones, an ipad (that I use to watch a show or something, when its dark and there is a fire ban or something like that), my usb rechargeable keychain lights, etc..

This is what I use:

RAVPower 20100mAh External Battery Pack Power Bank

RAVPower 15W Solar Charger with Dual iSmart USB Ports

Resto

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94