Storing and organizing camping equipment

AML

Adventurer
I have a pretty good collection of camping equipment and I have it for the most part stored on some Costco shelving. The problem is it just doesn't look all that organized. Too many oversized pieces. I am getting ready to tackle it again since it is winter here. I am looking to see if anyone has any photos of how they store their gear at home. I do not have a trailer or a dedicated rig for camping so I am more curious of how everyone stores it in their garage etc.

Looking forward to any inspirational photos.

Thanks

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I don't have any photo's, but I do the same. sleeping bags, gear bags, tents, tarps, shelters, stoves/ovens and other assorted oversized crap just gets stored on a shelf in the utility closet. Chairs, tables and ice chests just get stacked nearby. I organize several other bins with rigging gear - assorted carabiners, clips, webbing, rope, anchors, and kitchen stuff. I have a large box in the back of my truck where I store enough gear for a quick over-nighter, and always have recovery gear, lighting/cooking and propane accessories stored in there. Any overflow or gear that I am too lazy to pack away sits on the gear staging table. Valuable stuff like assorted electronics, security items, charts/maps, lighting, light cooking and comms get stored in a bin in my bedroom closet.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I use a big stand up metal cabinet. It has shelves inside. I put everything in categories. Sleeping in one section, food in another, cooking, water, etc. Each has a divider that moves and are labeled under each on the shelf face. Easy to find whatever I need when I need it. Doors close so I dont have to look at it

Honu

lost on the mainland
most my gear is inside the home anything fabric basically including our camp chairs
other gear is in the garage like stove and things that wont be effected by the heat so basically anything solid

inside my closet large shelf unit with some bins below for misc stuff otherwise sleeping bags and quilts on one shelf in nice breathable storage bags packed super loose basically must laying there
another shelf all our TNF duffles with our basic gear inside for each of us another shelf is the misc gear in the bags we load into the car

out in the garage a large shelf unit again fridge when not in truck goes on lower kitchen box on another shelf other containers ready to load

still not %100 happy with it want to get it a bit more ready to go kinda setup :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Since I carry lighter bulky stuff (sleeping bags, pads, chairs, blankets) on the roof rack and these things are pretty constant from one trip to the other I used a bicycle hoist to store and load it on the truck.

IMG_5065Custom_zps99bb67e3.jpg

The rest of the stuff is either permanently stored in the storage platform/drawers in the truck or on the shelving in the garage. If needed I can get the truck ready for a camping trip in 20mins- drop the roof-rack bag, put the fridge in the truck, load up food/water and clothes and we're good to go. In reality it takes me longer because I check the fluids, air-pressure, refresh batteries in radios, flashlights, plan meals etc... :)

AML

Adventurer
Thank you everyone. I just need motivation to straighten it all out. Most of my stuff is contained in the garage but I just need to organize it better. image.jpg

Here is my before photo. Now I need to get to work...hopefully there will be an after photo :)

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I use big and medium rubbermaid bins. Long story short, I've found that they keep things easier than storing just on shelves, and I hate cardboard boxes...cardboard can get wet, doesn't keep dust or bugs out. This is for gear, not food of course. You guys probably have way more stuff than me, though, I pack pretty light, backpack style and just for 2 people.

AML

Adventurer
I couldn't find any containers that were ideal for the space so my first thought was to make my own. Obviously they won't be as nice as a Pelican, but will definitely be more affordable. My thoughts are to build two storage crates on wheels that will make up the bottom of the shelving.

I went out and bought caster wheels from Harbor Freight yesterday. Now I plan on picking up plywood. The dimensions I am looking at building is roughly 6' L x 2' D x 2' H. This will store all the gear that is longer than 3' or so.

I don't have mad skills but this should be pretty straight forward. I don't plan on lids but eventually I would like to paint them so they are not such an eyesore.

Let's see how much I can get done this week with the pending snow storms on the East coast.

Wish me luck...

Chili

Explorer
I built a real basic rack from leftover 2x4's. It holds 6 action packers that holds the bulk of our gear (whatever will fit inside them). It also holds 3 additional storage totes on top for misc household stuff. It is on casters and sits right in front of good sized metal shelving unit (Home Depot) that holds all of the bulkier stuff (large stove, ground tents, cots, etc). The homemade rack can easily be rolled out of the way or around the garage if I need to access stuff behind it. Works pretty well.

Once my trailer is done the 2x4 rack will be disassembled, camping gear permanently stored in the trailer, and the trailer in the garage. This is the 3rd project that the 2x4's have been recycled for, so I'm sure I will keep those and the casters for some future use, lol.

AML

Adventurer
I would like a trailer and one day I will have another. But for now I have to make do without :(

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I would like a trailer and one day I will have another. But for now I have to make do without :(

If you mean camping trailer, you can make a teardrop trailer from a HF utility trailer for pretty low $$. Friend of mine did that, it's cute, almost silly, but practical. Think 'little wooden tent on little wheels'.

Chili

Explorer
If you mean camping trailer, you can make a teardrop trailer from a HF utility trailer for pretty low $$. Friend of mine did that, it's cute, almost silly, but practical. Think 'little wooden tent on little wheels'.

Or even a more traditional "box" style trailer made of wood (on the HF base), which is way easier and cheaper for "fabrication".. If I were starting from scratch I would likely go that route. In fact, I got really close to ditching my truck bed trailer project to do that instead but decided I'm too close on the current to start all over again. I want to at least get a year's worth of camping in before starting over again. :eek:

To the OP - Check out http://www.compactcampingconcepts.com/ for plans, ideas and most of the parts you might need for a low budget DIY trailer built off of the HF platform. And to be clear, I have no affiliation but have purchased a number of trailer parts from them for my current with great success. Prices are very competitive, they ship extremely fast, and they communicate VERY well (frequent and timely).

They have a separate forum they set up too, with a number of cool builds from cheap and simple to high quality and complex. You can get something very basic but useful on the road for less than a few hundred bucks.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Or even a more traditional "box" style trailer made of wood (on the HF base), which is way easier and cheaper for "fabrication".. If I were starting from scratch I would likely go that route. In fact, I got really close to ditching my truck bed trailer project to do that instead but decided I'm too close on the current to start all over again. I want to at least get a year's worth of camping in before starting over again. :eek:

I like to weld, but agree that wood is easier. That's how my friend built his teardrop...framed it out w/ 2x2s, the used 1 or 2 layers of 1/4" ply for the top. Bends really easy. I think 1/2" for the floor. I'd ask him for plans, but I know he didn't use any, just put it up by eye. Made the door out of plywood, but used a little window from someone else's old travel trailer. Just enough electric for some LED lights.

Teardrop is cute, and also less drag...I think he even towed it w/ a 750cc motorcycle once, but a traditional gives you more room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94