Offline maps Backcountry Navigator

ico135

I am having issue with Backcountry Navigator's offline maps and can't seem to find a guide that is relevant to current android version. I have the pro version if that makes a difference.
I have attempted to download several maps for offline usage but when i turn off wifi all it shows are squares some with the map package, not stored, and local(name of map i downloaded). But no actual map data.

Anyone else have issues with viewing offline maps, have a decent manual for app or possibly even an app that is somewhat intuitive.

ico135

Of course been messing with it for a while and as soon as i post for help i get it figured out. I was saving maps for upcoming trip and was zooming out to find that area. Decided to save one at my current location and opened map centered to my location and it worked. Continued to zoom out and it disappears.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I haven't messed with BCN for a while. I have to crack it open again now and play with some mapping.

JimBiram

Adventurer
I've been using BCN Pro for over a year. It sounds like you aren't getting a full download of the map you have chosen. First, you need an external memory card that can hold the data that is large enough. My 32 gb card is nearly full and I only have Southern and Central CA loaded with CalTopo Accuterra Maps and US Forest Service Maps. It can take a long while to download the maps, so be sure that you have a full download and that you select the highest zoom level selected when selecting for download (16).

Once you figure out these little things, you will find it easy to use and very powerful, especially if you use an external gps such as the Dual.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swashbuckler

Hooligan
I've had trouble on my past couple of trips with BCN not giving me all of the map I DL'd at certain zoom levels. I might have to break down and buy a proper GPS Nav setup.

kojackJKU

The proper GPS setup is not as accurate for the most part with their mapping. BCN can supply SAT imagry offline for a yearly fee. I don't mind paying that as Long as they work as intended.

tarditi

Explorer
I have BCN Pro, but always felt that it was a little sluggish... just installed MyTrails - we'll see how it goes. I also use a few different backpacking trail apps - nothing seems to be "perfect" but I never dedicate hours to tinkering with various settings and comparison trials either.

swashbuckler

Hooligan
You'd have to try the free version and see. It has all the topos I need and a ton I never use plus its easy to add. I added a couple from caltopo and a few arieal options too

Can you tell me, does it have access to the Accuterra maps? That mapset is mostly what has me tied to BCN Pro.

kojackJKU

I need to contact BCN to ask about their pay mapping. Does it work for Newfoundland, and does it provide sat imagry for Newfoundland as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz