1984 Dodge W350 Crew Cab

Kmehr

Adventurer
So now that the Dana 80 rear is in, the rear drive shaft needs to be shortened about 2 inches. Also, it uses a 1410 yoke which is much bigger than the Dana 60. I would like to do a DC joint, my question is where on the driveshaft should I put it? Also, do I need to have 1410s through out the driveshaft?

amgvr4

Adventurer
I just had Tom Woods make my front CV shaft for my truck. They were a great price and very helpful/fast service. Give them a call and tell them what you are doing and they can help you decide what joints to use and even give you a quote over the phone.

Kmehr

Adventurer
I just had Tom Woods make my front CV shaft for my truck. They were a great price and very helpful/fast service. Give them a call and tell them what you are doing and they can help you decide what joints to use and even give you a quote over the phone.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

amgvr4

Adventurer
$329 shipped to my door four days after I placed the order. They specialize in 4x4 shafts so they know what they are doing. Highly reccomended.

Kmehr

Adventurer
Well i just called Tom woods and he said he doesn't work on two piece shafts at all. High angle just quoted me around $1300, with upgrading to 1410s....ugh.

Last edited:

amgvr4

Adventurer
What about converting your rear shaft to a one piece? I have seen lots of full size guys do that. I personally prefer a two piece for clearance reasons but a single piece shaft is lighter and usually less prone to vibrations.

Kmehr

Adventurer
What about converting your rear shaft to a one piece? I have seen lots of full size guys do that. I personally prefer a two piece for clearance reasons but a single piece shaft is lighter and usually less prone to vibrations.

That's a possibility, though the guy at High Angle said that's only a possibility if it's 66in or shorter and I'm thinking mine is longer. I really hope it works though, $1300 plus shipping will end up being more than I paid for the motor!

Kmehr

Adventurer
Update: found a highly recommended driveline shop about 35 mins away, Wiles driveline in Paris, TN. They quoted me about $250 to shorten balance and upgrade to 1410s throughout, or about $450 for a whole new shaft. I told them I lifted the back about 5-6inches and they told me they wouldn't use a DC/CV joint at that lift height, but the could put one in for about $200 extra. Thoughts on whether I should do it?

amgvr4

Adventurer
I would not worry about a CV joint for the rear. I say go for it on the local shop for $450.

Kmehr

Adventurer
I'm off all week, so hoping to get major progress done on the truck. Headed to the drive shaft guy first thing in the morning. So far this weekend, I've got the exhaust manifold mounted, turbo mounted, and we've started working on the exhaust, but UPS lost one of my pieces! (they said it was delivered and my aunt signed for it, but that's not the truth!). Found some matching seats for the rear, and bought all the seat belts out of a 2010 truck. Anyone know what the trick is to get them unwound?

Anyways, also got the new 1410 yoke installed on the transfer case rear output, gas tank cleaned as best i could- I'm scared I'll break something off if I try any harder to get the whole sending unit out. Also, seems to me like the pickup tube is about 3-4inches off the bottom of the tank- is this right? (se picture below).

In anticipation of wiring, I've been looking for an oil pressure sensor- anyone have a good picture of where it should be? all indications point towards underneath the injection pump, but it sure doesn't look like anything is there on my motor. I added a boost bolt, really clever product, and also a Tork Tek banjo bolt with a fuel pressure snubber in the head.

Pictures:

EGT probe tapped

exhaust manifold mounted:

turbo on there too:

had to do some hammer clearancing to get this much of the exhaust in- i'm missing the next piece

Here is where clearance was really tight, there will be more clearancing needed further down the pipes too

new yoke installed

hard to tell, but this is the inside of the gas tank, the red tube I am assuming is the pickup- it looks so short!

Mocking up the seats to make brackets tomorrow

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:I just saw this thread for the first time. Talk about a thorough rebuild. Everything looks well executed and really clean. Keep up the good work. Cheers, Chilli..:wings:

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Very cool build! I'm excited to see how the interior turns out.
I swapped 4 heated buckets out of an 05 Escalade in my crew cab Chevy, best mod to date!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles