1984 Dodge W350 Crew Cab

Kmehr

Adventurer
Been a long time lurker/reader, figured it was time to post up some pics and info on my build up as the truck is starting to finally get reassembled!

Picked up this 1984 W350 Crew last summer for a song. Had an anemic 360 V8, a worn out NP435, a bullet proof NP205, and Dana 60s front and rear w/ 4.10s. I've always wanted to drop my dream drivetrain in a classic crew cab chevy or dodge, so this was the prefect platform to make that dream come true! In is going a Cummins 12 valve and an NV4500, reusing the NP205.

Motor: the cummins is from a 1994 Ford school bus with only 23,000 miles! I'll be doing all the standard pump mods, I've got a BD super B turbo, .025 delivery valves, I'm in the process of porting the exhaust manifold, 4in exhaust, 3K gov springs, and still trying to decide between 5x10 or 5x12 injectors. Anyways, it'll hopefully be around 425hp and 850ft/lbs.

Tranny: it's a hybrid NV4500 of sorts, with a cummins 10 spline input shaft and the gasser nv4500 23spline output shaft so i can run the NP205. It's got a hydraulic clutch setup, and a Valair kevlar/cermic clutch that will hold 450hp/900ft/lbs.

Rest of the drivetrain: I just rebuilt the front Dana 60, including one of the kingpins, and regeared to 3.54 so I can drive 70 on the highway. Picked up a Dana 80 limited slip w/ disc brakes in 3.54 for the rear. Like I said, reusing the NP205 transfer case. Upfront I've got 2.5in lift Skyjacker softride leafs, and I'm doing a shackle flip in the rear, removing the factory lift blocks, and shackles to match the front height. Probably going to do DC joint driveshafts, but I'm not there yet

Rest of the truck: Cab has already been stripped and painted. I'm adding heat/sound insulation and picked up a factory molded carpet. The old Ford Van seats that were in it just had to much of a "rape" vibe, so I yanked them. Found a cherry 40/20/40 split cloth bench from a 2010 dodge at a u-pull for the front, and am still looking for a matching rear. I have (I think) all the parts to convert to A/C, so that will be going in as well. Have a radio plate mount 3gauge pod for the dash for EGT, fuel pressure and boost. Has a decent stereo in it, put I may spruce that up a bit as well. A nice paint job is not in the budget right now (really want to do graphite metallic from the newer dodges), but I will be line-x ing the bed and the rockers. I'm moving to Colorado next fall for work, and I'm really paranoid about it rusting (this is going to be my daily driver) so I've yanked the cab and rustoleumed the frame.

Camping setup: As you can see from the pics, it's got a lumber rack on it and thats about as far as I've gotten. I"m not really sure what direction i want to go in exactly but here is my plan tentatively: hack the ladder rack up so it will go around a camper top. Obviously add a camper top. Bed mounted/sliding/lockable storage boxes with space for tools, spare parts, some RV batteries to run a fridge and maybe the Lady's bread maker, big drawers that slide out the tailgate with gear, a sliding pantry ontop of that to one side of the bed, and a slide out counter/cooking grill on the other side. Then a roof mounted tent on top of the rack, opening to one side of the truck. An awning that rolls out behind the truck for protection while cooking. And finally on the part of the rack that extends over the cab, provisions to mount bikes and kayaks.

I had a softopper camper top on my old truck and loved it. Had a sleeping platform built level with the bed rails with storage underneath. This was a decent setup but having the sleeping platform so high, there was not near enough airspace above the bed and it was pretty claustrophobic, hence the rooftop tent idea. I loved the softopper for it's convenience when not needed, as its really compact when taken off, easy to take off if needed to use the truck bed for truck stuff, plus the sides rolled up and and you could access stuff in the bed from the side. However, as I am planning a longer excursion in the distant future, I'm a bit worried about thieves stealing my stuff while out hiking or something. I dunno I have some time to think about it. Anyways, enough yammering, here are some pics in no particular order:

before the teardown:

Kmehr

Adventurer
Family affair pulling the motor (me, my dad and uncle)

Shackle brackets:

New turbo:

new front seats:

Dana 80 rear:

cab coming off:

cab stripped and painted:

Front D60 torn down:

nifty trick for removing king pins- weld a plate to it and beat it off:

hydro boost setup

Kmehr

Adventurer
frame painted up:

Front Dana 60 reinstalled and new Skyjacker springs up front. This is about where the project sits:

amgvr4

Adventurer
Looking good. You have one of the most sought after combos there! It is great to see the ranks of the full size crew cabs growing by the day.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Awesome!
waytogo.gif

:lurk:

Kmehr

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I'm feeling pretty lucky to have found the truck. It's remarkably clean- a few dings here and there and the lower rear quarter on passenger side is kinda mangled. The rockers have a few rust issues, but not bad, and hey it's a truck right!?

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Been keeping an eye out for one of those for years to no avail. Congrats on a great find, and an even better upgrade!

Kmehr

Adventurer
More progress today. All of the drivetrain is in, and amazingly both drive shafts fit perfectly even with the nv4500. I fabled up a new top part of the cross member and it all looks great! Tomorrow were going to try and pull the bed and get the Dana 80 swapped under. Here are some pics:

the block heater:

cross member modification:

Everything in:

Front drive shaft, with a DC joint- Factory?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles