Hammock Camping.....

87Warrior

GP'er
I tried hammock camping this year and had the best nights sleep I have ever while ground camping. I spent a week in the Colorado high country moving around every few nights, between 8,000' and 11,000'.

My gear is basic ENO stuff since this was a trial run for me and I have a family member who sells ENO. To be frank, I was skeptical I'd enjoy sleeping in a hammock since I am 6'3" even though it was comfortable at home. ENO seems to be decent gear that is durable but not fancy. I started with the SingleNest and Atlas straps then added a bug net and HouseFly tarp. I cut up an old memory foam mattress topper to fit inside the hammock for insulation and slept in an old Coleman bag. I brought along a small travel pillow from Walmart but found it was not necessary. I brought along a few biners to hold my shoes and jacket off the ground and under the tarp at each end of the hammock. I stayed dry and warm, but the coldest night was only 37 degrees.

IMG_20160810_194010558.jpg

I found the 'fiddle factor' was quite high as a first timer. Set up time was on par with my ground tent. The only difficulty I had was trying to release my shoes from the biner when nature called in the night.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Eno is a great way to get into it :)
maybe like the coleman of camping for hammocks ?
BUT would the cheapest coleman bag and tent be what you want

once you get in to some of the other vendors for hammock gear you will find a whole new comfort level for sleeping over eno :)

we have about 4 ENO we use for daily nap beating around they are heavy and tough so great for kids to play in so I have slept in them etc..

I tried hammock camping this year and had the best nights sleep I have ever while ground camping. I spent a week in the Colorado high country moving around every few nights, between 8,000' and 11,000'.

My gear is basic ENO stuff since this was a trial run for me and I have a family member who sells ENO. To be frank, I was skeptical I'd enjoy sleeping in a hammock since I am 6'3" even though it was comfortable at home. ENO seems to be decent gear that is durable but not fancy. I started with the SingleNest and Atlas straps then added a bug net and HouseFly tarp. I cut up an old memory foam mattress topper to fit inside the hammock for insulation and slept in an old Coleman bag. I brought along a small travel pillow from Walmart but found it was not necessary. I brought along a few biners to hold my shoes and jacket off the ground and under the tarp at each end of the hammock. I stayed dry and warm, but the coldest night was only 37 degrees.

IMG_20160810_194010558.jpg

I found the 'fiddle factor' was quite high as a first timer. Set up time was on par with my ground tent. The only difficulty I had was trying to release my shoes from the biner when nature called in the night.

Last edited:

Gonzzo

Observer
Clark hammock, NX150 with DD Diamond Tarp.

Nuff sed, drops mike, walks away.....

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

Honu

lost on the mainland
I know I have changed my gear a lot :) my insulation below is our main at this point kids are still using pads
but my wife now uses a bridge (ridegrunner) so I am getting a new pad for her but will also get a UQ
the pad in the bridge is nice for flattening it out

I am more into the wide 70 inch 11 foot these days so so so so comfy and roomy and a separate bug net over integrated setups
still have my basic tarp but am going to get a nice one with doors like my daughter has :)

2015-01-01_(13-31-57).jpg

2015-01-01_(13-38-38).jpg

Warbonnet Blackbird hammock, Enlightened Equipment top and bottom quilt, Sea to Summit tarp.

I use this setup for solo backpacking. If I’m solo in the truck I usually sleep in the bed. Backpacking or truck with someone else I bring a tent. I do find that I sleep better in the hammock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior