Hammock Camping.....

Hey, just checkin in if there are any hammock campers out there !! What brand? Quilt or sleeping bag? four seasons or summer fall only? I run an ENO Double, just ordered the Hammock Gear Burro and Incubator , both 0*......

Honu

lost on the mainland
awesome choice for quilts !!!!

converted %100 to hammocks this past year
have always had eno and others around for lounging :)
when I lived in Central America I used them to sleep in also in Hawaii used them to sleep in some times camping but never new about the nice insulation these days

so tried the pads thing ? works and some like it but I did not
but the big agnes bags were nice in the sense no pad slip but selling them cause I do find the quilts more comfy

I have a few hammocks now and plan on trying more
I have the Argon from Dutch and my SLD TL and we have a HH for the wife and some ENO also I have my old Mayan from 20+ years ago also sleep full time in hammocks at home so use a Brazilian style with a underqult from DD hammocks also have another large Mayan style for home use

plan on trying out the WB XLC and the bridge they make for fun also want to try out the Dream Hammocks and the nylon one Dutch is selling http://dutchwaregear.com

in some ways the seperate net and hammock I can see some good pros with it easy to adjust the UQ if needed but the quilts can fall out maybe ?
also being able to make or try out dif fabrics easy
no zippers on some models and or being able to try a sock setup out
I figure try out a ton of stuff since I am one of those have to try it types

so far I use a simply light design 12 foot trail lair double layer as my main hammock
wife is still using the HH we got to start but quickly found for me others are more comfy
kids I bought the ENO with the bug net and they are happy price was good and kids are 6 and 10 they are using Big Agnes bags and pads but I might supplement some UQ setups for them

wife and I have some HG UQ and TQ setups we went with 0 degree incubator below 2 oz overfill and I got the 20 top wife got the 0 top both with 1 oz overfill
so far only been out as low as 28 but was toasty warm in tshirt and shorts highest was about 70 degree for a 4 hour nap and was not to hot just kept my TQ along side me
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ew-hammock-quilts-arrived-)?highlight=hammock
think you are going to love them for me the setup was very easy and got the UQ setup in minutes no cold spots
the TQ to get into is so much easier than the bags for me but the kids like the feeling of the bags

user name is ckmaui over on the https://www.hammockforums.net

shadow61

Observer
i switched to hanging now. i have an ENO singlenest and doublenest, and use the pro fly and slap straps, i have done 66 miles of the sheltowee trail in Kentucky so far and leaving April 26th for a 200 mile section hike of the Appalachian trail from Springer mountian to Clingmans dome in the smokies. here is a pic of a hike on the sheltowee with my singlenest and profly hammock.jpg

CJones

Adventurer
ENO Double Nest. Four seasons isn't tough here in Texas. Not many bugs and rarely rains so no bug net and usually no fly. "The stars at night, are big and bright. Deep in the heart of Texas!"

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Anyone here use a "hammock sock" like the ones sold by Warbonnet or others? I know there is a benefit from staying out of the elements but some claim you sleep 15-20 degrees warmer...any thoughts? I live in Cali where it never really gets below 35 when I'm back packing or moto camping. If its colder, then I'm probably car camping or what ever. Right now my current set up consists of a ENO Junglenest, Warbonnet Superfly and Atlas straps with some MSR Mini Groundhog stakes. As far as the staying warm part goes I use a 20 degree bag, of course, I get the usual cold spots where my body weight presses against the hammock. I guess I should really be asking which quilt to get...but I already know I need one. I figured I'd settle on one of the Yeti quilts from Warbonnet. But the sock intrigues me, I like that extra barrier from the wind and what not.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

matt41482

Observer
I,m going to order a Spindrift "Hammock sock" for my Warbonnet ridgerunner for a upcoming overnight. Ill let you know how it works out

Honu

lost on the mainland
the sock is there to help the quilt not as insulation itself :) sounds like you understand that though :)
keep the wind off your quilt and keep the air your body warmed up from being taken away etc.....

I see more info as maybe 10 degrees warmer from reading the forums
plan on getting a sock one day

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I use an ENO single hammock, with a Nemo Tuo pad in it, and a thermarest single down blanket.

The most comfortable sleep ever, and it packs down to nothing. Especially handy if you have two trucks in your group as you can see in this pic of me fast asleep in Nevada.

_AJC1015Photo Credit Anthony Cullen.jpg

Photo taken on the Trans America Trail, by Anthony Cullen.

Drumber

Observer
I use a Eno DoubleNest with bug net, rain fly, pro straps, etc. I have a full size, 20x78, insulated air pad that I blow up part way and slip into the bag. I use a Zero degree bag and inflatable backpacking pillow. If it's warm I just sleep on the bag and can crawl into it if it gets too cool. I'm heading to Big Sur this weekend (Feb 14th, 2015) and will bring a fleece blanket along just in case. This will be the trip that shows me whether I need an under quilt right away or not. I carry everything sleep related in a small Action Packer that lives under the hammock at night and acts as a place for a water bottle and my boots to rest away from the critters.

Honu

lost on the mainland
if you got a pad and are comfy and dont get cold shoulders and dont get the condensation issue pads could be handy in case of no trees :) save the money

for me I love the quilts now that I have them more comfy not really warmer since I was warm with various pad setups just got the condensation issues and find the freedom of the quilts nice

wow.............i used to have insane condensation issues, on both my hammock and my cot.......wet, like saturated wet. i never did understand that concept. hopefully the air gap and insulating bottom with cure this.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
I'll keep experimenting with my set up and see what I can do to adjust my comfort level. Usually when I hike or dual sport ride with my bike I bring my day pack. I have water and all the usual survival stuff, BUT I usually carry my SOL Escape Bivy and my WB Superfly also. I found with proper clothes and a decent insulator under you, like a sleeping pad, the SOL Bivy works decently well. The best part is, its breathable, pretty darn small and has a hood, zipper and a draw string for the hood. I was hoping to cheap and use that as my bag during the not so cold months. I think my best bet would be to bite the bullet and buy dang quilts. The best part about hanging is yeah...you get off the ground, but what I really like is its modular. Had I known what I know now when I got the ENO was don't get the built in bug net. I'd rather ditch the bug net, get a sock and then use my bag with the zippered foot well and slip it around the hammock and just sleeping in the bag with the hammock and everything. Done, no compression or cold spots and no need to buy quilts.

Oh, and the reason I mentioned my day pack was I could damn near backpack comfortably with a small pack if I plan this right. That would be sweeeeeet to get my day pack set up to a weekend getaway set up.

Last edited:

R.G.

Dime Trucker
I use a Hennessy expedition. I have had it for a long time and its held up well considering how close I am to the 250 weight limit. I usually use a couple saddle blankets and fleece sleeping bag. If its cold or winter time I have been using an army sleeping bag, and a poncho liner tied to the bottom as an under quilt because I'm cheap, and it works.:) I been thinking about upgrading to one of their jungle hammocks. The bottom is supposed to be mosquito proof, I like that.

At home I use an Amazonas Paridiso double hammock for my bed. In the spring before bug season I will take it out with me on ocasion to the million star motel.

swashbuckler

Hooligan
PC_20130719_201726_zps4f091e93.jpg

Mom sleeps in my old Grand Trunk single. The boy and I sleep in DIY slings. Just sleeping bags and air pads, one of these days I'll get around to making some underquilts and such.

WrongWay

Observer
I dove hard into the hammock csmping thing about 3 years ago. Went all out with gear. Warbonnet hammock and tarp, hammock gear quilt and under quilt. I was set! Loved the idea of it. Then I tried sleeping. I woke up every single hour to go to the bathroom. Could not figure it out. Slept great except the waking. Finally had to give it up and go back to the ground and my tent. No more waking up at night now. I still have most of my gear for lounging, but a good night sleep is only found in the tent now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier