Anviljk's JKUR Adventure Thread

anviljk

Adventurer
Hello:wavey:

Introduction:
My name is Daniel and this is the build of my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. This build won't include a safari rack or roof top tent. There won't be any high tech equipment, ARB fridge, or drawers lining the back of the JK. The main purpose of this build is to do weekend trips around the east coast. I call it an adventure thread because it is just that; adventures of myself and my JKUR.

15735752124_bdecf61b1c.jpg
15737961423_acfdff578c.jpg
16171718059_430a86a8d9.jpg

Anvil/Hard top/6-speed Manual/4.10 Gears

JKUR Build Plans (Completed in Green)
EVO MFG Protek Oil Pan Skid
EVO MFG Protek Crossmember/Exhaust Skid
Rough Country Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket
Firestik 3ft CB Antenna/Coax Cable/Hardware
Daystar JK Hood Latches
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
Expedition One DX Bumper w/wings
Expedition One Rubiskid

Winch (undetermined brand)
EVO MFG HD Leveling Kit (aprox 2in of lift)

Last edited:

anviljk

Adventurer
While my JK was being built, I ordered the EVO MFG Protek Skids for the oil pan and crossmember/exhaust. Those two items are the least protect under the JK. I plan on using the factory gas tank skid and transfer case skid, as they look significant enough. The EVAP also sits pretty low. Although protected by the factory skid, it is not as thick as the gas tank or transfer case. I do plan on purchasing the EVO MFG EVAP skid in the future if I find that the factory skid is being abused more then it can handle.

16331961026_b6853d138e.jpg

Along with the skids, I also picked up a Rough Country steering stabilizer relocation bracket. This will get the stabilizer above the tie rod reducing the change of damage. For $20, it’s worth the investment.

16356180001_909694a8ae.jpg

Picked up a new FireStik II 3ft antenna and Fire-Flex coax cable for the CB. Haven’t decided on what CB to pick up yet. It’s between the Cobra 29xl with NOAA weather or the Midland 1001LWX. Right now I am leaning towards the Cobra mounted above the rear view mirror with a Rugged Ridge mount. I have a Teraflex tire carrier antenna mount on order and should be here this week.

16357045882_e0d4eafd89.jpg

Hoping to have this installed within a few weeks.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Cool, congrats on the purchase. If I was going to buy a second Jeep, it would probably be a JKUR in Anvil.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures! :smiley_drive:

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
Congrats on the new rig! I have your twin...love my '15 JKUR in anvil! I havent yet decided which direction to go in upgrades so looking forward to your thread as you work through your list of mods. Cheers! AV

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Congrats. Those hood wranglers are a life saver. They confuse mechanics though. The protek system is on my list as well. Great skid system, doesn't break the bank, and no fluff.

anviljk

Adventurer
The Daystar hood hold downs were the first thing I did on my JK. They work awesome and appear factory.

Right now my WJ is considered totaled (hit a deer). I've been driving it awhile since the JK was on order. The WJ had a hood flutter because of not having the front plastic bumper. It was beyond stressful to see the hood jump 2" while at highway speeds.

Congrats. Those hood wranglers are a life saver. They confuse mechanics though. The protek system is on my list as well. Great skid system, doesn't break the bank, and no fluff.

How do they confuse the mechanics? They look like regular hood latches...

GetOutThere

Adventurer
How do they confuse the mechanics? They look like regular hood latches...

I've had two different Chrysler mechanics tell me that my hood latches were too tight, one saying that they probably wouldn't hold when cold temps hit.

He's been wrong through multiple winters.

anviljk

Adventurer
I've had two different Chrysler mechanics tell me that my hood latches were too tight, one saying that they probably wouldn't hold when cold temps hit.

He's been wrong through multiple winters.

They're made of a polyurethane material, if anything the would get harder when cold. :confused:

anviljk

Adventurer
Great looking Jeep. Looks like a solid build plan.

Thanks! I actually just picked it up at the dealer and signed the papers a few hours ago. It snowed last night and I was messing around with it in 4hi. Defiantly notice an increase in traction compared to 2hi. Although I did have some issues getting it into 4hi. Took a good amount of force but I finally got it.

The Teraflex CB antenna mount came in today as well. Mounts to the stock spare tire carrier. I chose this instead of the Rugged Ridge mount because of how the Rugged Ridge mount is not flat at the top plus it looked thin compared to the Teraflex mount. Now I just need to find time to install all of these items along with the Mopar grab handles. Also noticed I have been banging my feet against the door stills so I need to pick up a set of those from Amazon.

16381737715_dfbb81099a.jpg

anviljk

Adventurer
Added some items to the build. Since I picked up the JK, I have been hitting my feet on the door stills when getting into the Jeep. I figured might as well protect the door stills while they are still new. Installed these today from Amazon ($36 shipped) in the brisk cold of PA.

16225249298_bf756fc192.jpg
16412900995_7375c44231.jpg

Since my WJ was totaled I took all the things I thought I would use for the JK. The tried and true Hi-Lift, mini-shovel, and axe. My grandfather gave me the axe before he passed. He always liked Jeeps. I know it's nothing fancy but it reminds me that he is with me while I am on my adventures. I picked up the mini-shovel at Lowes after the cheap Smittybilt foldable shovel broke on me while camping last year.

16412898845_1e0ffe8fc3.jpg
16386928916_626c7d2b09.jpg

I plan on keeping them under the rear seat for now to save space. I'm not sure if they will fit but will give it a try tomorrow since it's suppose to be less cold.

Also added an Accu-Gage E-Z Deflator and Brinkmann QBeam Spotlight that I got at a yard sale for $1. Haven't used it yet but it's nice to have in the Jeep.

16225497470_d06e30d80c.jpg
16225251488_7b14f6d591.jpg

I had plan on using my Cobra 19 DX IV but after thinking about it longer, I decided the install for the power and ground wouldn't even be worth it because of how much I hate the CB. I decided to just wait until I can afford a Cobra 29 LX.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles