My adventure trailer

FJWillis

Observer
Took me about a year to complete, and I thought I'd post some pics of my finished product. It's been over Cinnamon Pass, Engineer Pass, and many other trails in Colorado. I took a part a small Quicksilver trailer and mounted it on a new frame, then build a custom kitchen to go on the front. It has a on demand water pump, water heater, sink, and stove. It slides out next to the awning, and has a fold out shelf. The only thing I have to add is a table mount on the roof of the camper. The box is 100% aluminum and the frame is very light. The whole trailer is very light. I think the major mistake many people make is to make their trailer to heavy. This creates some scary situations when in tight, wet, steep sections of the trail. Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_6727.jpg
    IMG_6727.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_6717.jpg
    IMG_6717.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_6706.jpg
    IMG_6706.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_6731.jpg
    IMG_6731.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_6730.jpg
    IMG_6730.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_6729.jpg
    IMG_6729.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 203

Foxxtrot

I like this! Looking to do something similar. More pics detailing that kitchen would be nice. How much do you think it weighs?

FJWillis

Observer
I bet it is less than 1000 lbs. I never feel the trailer, even in technical steep sections. I went light weight because the last trailer I had was too heavy. I was on a steep trail one day and could not pull the trailer up a small wet technical section. I was in a real pickle because I could not maneuver at all. What a mess!! I sold the trailer when I got home and started thinking about light weight. This is what I came up with. It does not hold back my jeep at all. IMG_6720.jpgIMG_6732.jpgIMG_6733.jpgIMG_6731.jpgIMG_6744.jpg

FJWillis

Observer
I didn't put a water tank in the trailer to save weight. I carry water in my tow rig. I have a bucket I fill with water containers that the pump draws water into. The sink is also plumed with hot water. A lot of times I'm camping near water so it's very easy to keep the bucket topped off. I have a great spot to put a water tank under the trailer but I wanted to keep the trailer light weight. I've towed a heavy trailer before and it did not turn out well in steep wet sections.

screwball48

Explorer
They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You had better be ready for folks to start flattering you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJWillis

Observer
They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You had better be ready for folks to start flattering you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm actually the one that did the copying. Quicksilver makes the same trailer for jeep, but does not have the cook box option. That part was my ideas. Theirs is probably more rugged than mine, but very heavy. Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles