Traction Ramps / Sand Ladders

Applejack

Explorer
I got a set of the shi..uh Smittbuilt ones for fee when I bought my tires. The were a $149 value allegedly. I used them once in the snow and found them to be useless on my heavy 4Runner without having my rear diff locked. If I had 3 or 4 instead of 2 they may have helped more. However they worked really well on my daughters relatively lightweight Subaru Forester. I still carry them whenever we head out. It's a toss up whether they will work for whatever given situation you are faced with. A $100 for a used set? $100 is not much money these days so why not, but don't trust them as your only means of escape.

garrett

Supporting Sponsor
We've been using just about every type mentioned here so far for years. I don't think the SandMats have been mentioned that were shown in an OJ article about a year or so ago. http://expeditionportal.com/overland-journal-sand-ladder-test/ The website seems to be dead, but I am going to contact them soon about getting more - hoping they still make them! They don't bridge all that well, but the traction they provide is great, they don't wear out and the price is dy-no-mite.

Don't buy anything SmittyBuilt - you get what you pay for. I see it as $100 wasted towards a good set. The issue with the plastic mats is that they will eventually wear out if used enough and used improperly just a handful of times. We're training a group of 12 military folks for 5 days and as much as you tell them not to spin a tire, they will from time to time. Do that enough and the plastic traction mats will wear down quickly.

The aircraft landing mats similar to above do work, but don't provide all that much traction. They are great for bridging - using support underneath them.

The fiberglass bridging "ladders" are great too. Just have to be careful handling them without gloves of course. But they are incredibly strong.

My 2 pesos.

zelatore

Explorer
I recently won a set of Traction Jacks:
http://tractionjack.com/

A new company just getting off the ground. Their party piece is that they fold in half making them easier to store. They're also made in the USA, so that's a nice plus for those of us who like to spend here when we can.
(I'm not being super ra-ra-ra, only buy American, etc, but if I can keep my money at home I'd rather do that than send it to China)

I have not yet had a chance to use them so I can't comment on how well they work. They do appear to be well made and sturdy. The pair of them weighs in about 27 lbs as I recall and the knubs seem pretty aggressive. From my initial impressions I have no complaints.

I may get a chance to go play in the mud tomorrow. If I do, I'll report on what I find. Wish I had had them last weekend in the snow to try out, but shipping was just a day late for that trip.

If you are space challenged or need to store something like this IN the vehicle instead of on a rack, you might want to give them a look. If anybody else has tried them, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No affiliating, yada yada yada. The owner donated a set to our club and I won them in a raffle. I wasn't specifically in the market for a set of ramps, but I have been in a few situations where I could have used them so they should make a decent addition to my gear.

zelatore

Explorer
Ummm.....I'm now in the market for a set of MaxTrax. ;)

I never really used these in mud but got a chance to play with them in snow a few times this year. I snapped one in half and never really got much grip with them. The folding design that makes them easy to store also makes them harder to deploy since you can't dig with them or wedge them into/under the tire very well. Perhaps they would do better in sand, but over all I think I'll go ahead and pony up the money for the MaxTrax and make a mount to hang them on my spare.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Hmmmm, that's what I hear, er read, most. Something else is tried, then its on to maxx traxx. I guess I'll start saving up.
Thanks

I'm sure he'll wander back over to this thread now its replied to. Haven't seen him use them in the field but they are still around on his truck a year later.

kayadog

Adventurer
Rubber Floor mats

Dura_Chef_7_8_Action_Shot_1_Large.jpg

These will never replace rigid ladders etc. since they are useless for bridging but I keep a pair in the back of my Jeep and find them extremely useful. They are anti slip/anti fatigue floor mats for bars and commercial kitchens. They weigh nothing, take up no space, and protect the cargo area (they are almost the exact dimensions of the back area). I have used them to help recover a camper from deep sand, a car from deep snow, and a Porsche full of Boston Bruins from a muddy pasture (true story). I think I paid $20 for both at a closeout sale. They are also really useful as flooring while camping, standing on to change out of my wetsuit in the snow, and to pad the roof when I am carrying objects up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94