Traction Ramps / Sand Ladders

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
My question is are they worth having?

I can pick up a set of used Smittybuilt element ramps for a good deal. I just don't know if they are worth owning or not? I already have a 10K winch on the front of my disco. But sometimes I find myself out in the desert with nothing to anchor myself to.

Anyone used these plastic traction ramps before. It just seems like they would break.

Traction-Mats.jpg

Mo4130

Adventurer
I have used nine a couple times. They are so much quicker to use than my winch. They are also much safer. If you buy email get maxtrax. Trust me.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
If you do a Google search, you will find that the SmittyBilts do seem to have a tendency to crack and disintegrate. The hot ticket seems to be the MaxTrax at $300/pair, but the Maxsa Innovations are half the price and sorta/kinda almost as good. Overland Journal did a comparison test a few years ago, and their summary is available online. I have a pair of five-foot aluminum sand ladders on my truck, but I'm in the process of buying one or two pair of MaxTrax as backups. I have a 12K winch but don't carry a PullPal, and since most of my offroad travel is in the desert, the ladders and MaxTrax make sense for me. The heavier your vehicle, the faster the Smittys will probably break. If they are cheap enough, grab them. If they get you out once, they have paid for themselves.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
A local guy is asking $100 bucks. I can't decide if they are bling or useful. I watched a few reviews. Its a crap shoot. It looks like half the people using the break them

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Before I'd pay $100 for used Smittys, I'd go $150 for a new set of Maxas. I am going to get the MaxTrax to augment my pair of aluminum ladders because I was in a deeeeeep sand stuck by myself in November and I realized that I wasn't quite as prepared as I thought I was. With 4WD and both axles locked, I couldn't get out without using a friend's Ford as an anchor for the winch. If I had four traction aids (my aluminum ladders and at least one pair of MaxTrax) I think I would have been out before I had to make the phone call for help. With four MaxTrax on board, I then have the additional option of burying the aluminum ladders as a sort of McGyver PullPal.

I have a set of TREDs and love them. I've used them about 6 times for my truck and another 6 times for others stuck on the beach. I don't evem bother with my winch with sand bc the TREDs take no time if you don't dig yourself in.

fdklr

I currently keep 4 TREDs in the toolbox of my truck. I also have a hydraulic winch on my truck.

I have found them quite handy when you a stuck out in the open without an anchor point, for me more often than not that is out in a field. I am running a one ton quad cab long box diesel and I haven't had any issues with them so far. I did manage to crack one last year when I threw them in the bed of my truck. However it was -20 at the time, but the recovery was quicker than pulling my winch.

I called their customer support and shipped me a new pair for free within a couple of days. I would recommend them.

Box Rocket

I think the *right* ones are worth having. Not trying to be a snob but the Maxtrax are the only ones I would spend money on. The Smittybuilts are cheap, yes but for items like these I'd rather pay a little more and have it be reliable when I need it. I'm really not trying to starting a pissing match. Just saying from my own experience I trust the Maxtrax far more then any of the others. Heard too much about the Smittybuilts and other boards that crack and break. I also don't like the TREDs design that is not ramped at both ends, making them uni-directional. Having used and seen the Maxtrax is use is all the convincing I needed that they were the right ones. Just one guy's opinion.

I carry a set on my Tacoma.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
would'nt leave home without them

drive forward until you bog in,,,,,dont wait till your cross axled......drive back 8 inches

Install 2 matts,,,,,gas down and off you go ! no waiting for another vehicle to winch you, or pull you especially in deep shifting sand
its every one for themselves when you only get 3 sandunes between stucks...

DSC_4139.jpg

DSC_3568.jpg

Theres no going back when you drop into one of these bowls...

slip9.jpg

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
if you want foldy or roll up, some one on here made a set with rope and plastic rebar

cut the rebar into 10" lengths with 3 holes and just strung them together with the string

rollup and matts....slightly more efective than a foot well floor mat, but will still bunch fold up and displace under a heavy truck...but still better than nothing

libarata

Expedition Leader
if you want foldy or roll up, some one on here made a set with rope and plastic rebar

cut the rebar into 10" lengths with 3 holes and just strung them together with the string

rollup and matts....slightly more efective than a foot well floor mat, but will still bunch fold up and displace under a heavy truck...but still better than nothing

I had never though of plastic rebar and rope. I wonder if anchoring one end would help with the bunching.

Box Rocket

I HIGHLY doubt you could anchor an end sufficiently to keep the tires from pulling it out in soft terrain. I get the idea that the folding or rollup mats are more convenient to store and pack and might help in a few situations but I personally still feel like the money is much better spent on a quality traction board like a Maxtrax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles