Rear Bumpers - Looking at 2 options ARB and AEV

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Also, the rear on the ARB bumper, the tire is off centered on the carrier a little bit so you have better access to the rear handle of the tailgate.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
A few reasons I chose the AEV bumpers for my JK.

AEV Front Bumper:

Integrated Winch Mount and fitment of Warn Zeon
OE Fog Light Mounting
Airbag Compliant (after my last JK this is very important)
Clean design and "flow" with the front fenders

AEV Rear Bumper

5 Gallons of Water Capacity
10.2 Gallons of Fuel Capacity
Shovel Mount
Hi-Lift And Pull Pal Mount Solution
Rear Camera and LED CHMSL
Proven rattle-free tire carrier design
Reverse Light Mount
Splash Guards

Also if the idea of the water tanks was something the owner did not care for, the MOAB driver side tank could be installed.

Hope this helps a little. haha

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
According to AEV the offset of the spare tire is to make it easier to reach the door handle, especially with larger tires.
The tanks are approximately 2.3 gallons each, and AEV does not recommend them for potable water. But hooked to a pump would be a great source of water for clearing mud out of radiators or wheels, washing hands, etc. It's also weight below the CG, which is a cool idea.
In the YouTube videos where AEV shows this bumper, he actually pushed the Hi-Lift jack sideways with a good shove to show how the tabs hold the jack in place. Not as good as a notch, but still pretty decent.
I seriously considered this bumper/carrier setup, specifically for the fuel carrier, and non-potable water tanks. Pretty sure I'll end up with the LoD, since it has a rack above the spare tire. That really works out well for my application.

So many great American made bumpers out there. Good luck with your decision. :beer:

rlynch356

Defyota
i'm going to find an AEV locally to look at again. The features in the AEV rear are very tempting - i pretty much consider the fronts a wash feature wise except for hi-lift pockets (AEV you have to add the skid as well)

thanks for the thoughts

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I've had the AEV bumper and tire carrier on my Jeep for a year and a half now and I would buy it again. It was a ton of change, but the bumper and carrier are actually quite lite weight when dry and it packs a ton of features. I liked the idea of carrying my water as low as possible and the AEV does that. It uses space that is wasted otherwise to accomplish the task which is great when you're are trying to maximize space. The water potability issue is probably just meant to avoid lawsuits by greedy idiots. I've used it on numerous occasions and it works great. I drilled and installed a brass machine screw into my pex elbow fitting for easy tank drains. My only one complaint is that I can't carry my shovel with the hi-lift mount bolted on without modifying the shovel so I haven't purchased that option yet. Other than that, the shovel is always back there (no more wishing I'd remembered it while delayed on an "easy rural drive") and it's been great. As for the front, the AEV is just too much for the function you get. Sure, it looks great but the ARB has more features for less money. I went with the bull bar up front.

rlynch356

Defyota
I checked out the AEV Youtube video's - the features of the AEV rear bumper are pretty impressive and thanks Shays for the clean out idea for the tanks.
I'm thinking AEV... instead of hacking together a gas, water storage deal for the truck. in the FAQ's they say they are drinkable and bpa free or whatever. its probably a lawyer thing as you say.
Fuel in the rear tire makes a ton of sense and would give me up to 20 gallons additional (10 on the jeep, 10 on the trailer) as needed.
Pullpal on the rear sounds better than on the roof. Practice may be different but hopefully not.

I am also planning on a gobi rack - again another hard choice but comes down to ease of access to the roof for me (Gobi has ladders available, front runner does not and i do not have to drill 16 holes in my roof which does not leak). Rack is for Awning, gas siphon, fire wood, axe, overflow pelicans, the Oz RV and extra fluids, everything only if needed.

Septu

Explorer
I checked out the AEV Youtube video's - the features of the AEV rear bumper are pretty impressive and thanks Shays for the clean out idea for the tanks.
I'm thinking AEV... instead of hacking together a gas, water storage deal for the truck. in the FAQ's they say they are drinkable and bpa free or whatever. its probably a lawyer thing as you say.

I'd rather have it and not need it, then not have it. And while I wouldn't plan on using it as drinking water, I wouldn't hesitate to use it as such if needed.

rlynch356

Defyota
My thinking as well.. its there and fully integrated so makes the most sense.

Basically pushing the easy button on it...
its funny Jeep is the only platform where you have this amount of choice and bolt on capability out of the box, think of it and you can probably buy it off the shelf.
<I am speaking only as a NA customer>

Defenders, you have 2-3 choices (ARB, terrafirma, others for bits and parts)
Toyota land cruisers 1, 2 maybe 3 if you can get it imported (ARB, Slee, maybe TJM)
Jeep wrangler 7,648 and counting

only issue is most of it is.... well.....substandard stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz