Rubber mat instead of carpet

DanSingbere

Seems like older vehicles miss the boat when it comes to fancy rubber floorboards. I've thought I might use an armored finish bedliner paint for the front of my FJ60 with easily available aftermarket mats on top. I might miss out on some of the sound deadening carpet would provide but I'm ok with that. Anyone done this?

Dan

bfdiesel

Explorer
Not sure what you are getting at with the missing the boat statement, but as far as covering the floor with a liner or rubberized undercoating it has been done. Sound dampening can be put on top of that then carpet or a rubber mat if you need it quieter.

DanSingbere

I was looking for a recommendation for a rubberized undercoating product that held up well in an in-cab application>

doug720

Expedition Leader
Be cautious of using undercoating in the cab/cabin area.Years ago, I used some on the interior cab step of a truck. That stuff smelled literally forever! Every time it was hot and the truck was closed up, it reeked of under coat. This went on until I sold the truck.

Granted new materials may be different, but check carefully before spraying.

swashbuckler

Hooligan
Bedliner-style coatings with texture will be difficult to get clean. I'd be sure to pick something with a smooth texture.

DocMike

I've always kind of got a kick out of this subject and I'm not picking on anybody because I'm guilty of it to. When I was a kid my folks had two cars, a '40 Plymouth and a '60 Biscane. They both came with molded rubber floor coverings. The first thing my dad did was go out and get 4 carpet squares to put on top of the rubber mat. The next new car my dad bought was a '69 Ford station wagon and it came with molded carpet and the first thing he did was go out and get some rubber floor mats to cover the carpet. We are never happy, are we?:confused:

Doc

1stDeuce

Explorer
I have carpet floormats in my rubber floored GMC... Works pretty well. :) My Jeep has carpet in the front seats only, but it is destroyed,and really I just leave it there for heat and sound insulation. For a strictly wheeling rig, bedlinering the floor is not a bad plan, but as pointed out above, don't use liners with the "grippy" stuff if you want to clean up and look nice. (Rustoleum, Herculiner, etc) (And DO NOT use anything called "undercoating", because most of those products never really dry completely!!)

Both Raptor Liner and Monsta Liner have a somewhat textured finish, but both are pretty glossy and clean up very easily. They are not really "grippy" in my opinion. I'm using Monsta to do the bed of the Comanche, just to hide all the dents and scratches and make it look decent. They have a color that's pretty close to Rustoleum Desert Sand, so that'll be what I lay down. :)

If you really want to put something down that will last, take it somewhere and have it sprayed. There are many companies spraying really nice products these days. NONE of the DIY liner kits are worth a poo comparatively. :)

bfdiesel

Explorer
Never had a problem with the 3m stuff curing. I put the original mats back down though, so it's just for corrosion resistance.

artiei

Observer
I put down a layer of Dynamat then padding with Dynaliner. Then custsom inexpensive stuff called Harddura. It is a very thick vinyl backed with felt used in older English cars. The result reduced noise, heat and made the interior very nice looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier