Ammo Can First Aid Kit

LR Max

Local Oaf
So through a series of events, I now own this:

20141231_164011.jpg

First off, its cool and kinda goes along with the "1970s truck" thing I've got going on. Its empty which is probably a good thing. But I'd like to fill it up with all the crap that I might need. My first aid skills revolve around small medical needs like cuts, sprains, and hang overs.

I figure I could guy a first aid kit "refill" and then expand from there with more common use items. Does anyone have any recommendation on refill kits to start out with?

Thanks.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Just google the kits, and price out the individual items. It tends to run less expensive, and you can look for specific brands.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I think he's looking for an actual list of crap to throw in there.

I actually keep two kits. One for minor cuts/scratches and a trauma kit.
The minor kits contains bandaids, burn cream, bandage wraps, guaze pads, rubber gloves, tweezers , scissors, and scalpel (for deep splinters).

My trauma kit is more extensive: SAM splint, more gauze and wraps, rubber gloves, emergency scissors, gloves, sutures, scalpel and tweezers, bandaids, disinfectant, clot pads, good pocket knife, super glue, and a few other bells and whistles. It was a complete kit I purchased from a local surplus store.

Although I don't have a medical background, all airmen get SABC (self aid buddy care) training which is basically first aid, mostly dealing with holes, breaks and hyper/hypothermia, so I'm actually trained to use everything in the kit and a few things besides. Still, I'm of the opinion that having more than you need is always best.

If you're going to keep any medications in your kit, I'd recommend you keep them separate, or at least in a separate pouch inside it. That way you can actually remember to take it out once in a while and make sure nothing has expired.

screwball48

Explorer
Look at a Sam's club for a first aid kit. I have purchased larger kits from them that were a lot cheaper than buy just basic bandages to fill a kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
When I read the title, I thought it was a first aid kit for an ammo can. In which case I was going to suggest some 3m electrical tape, to get it home safe where you can do the final repair with a TIG welder.

Seriously, though, I put together a first aid kit when I was a kid out of a .30 cal can, too. I think it's a great idea...they are tough and waterproof, and if you yell "bring me the first aid kit" everyone will know what it is.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Although I now use a Cordura bag for my first aid kit, from the mid 1960s until I changed to a soft bag in 2000 or so my kit was contained in a 50 cal. "fat boy" ammo can. The lists I used to stock my kit were in these pamphlets, both of which I still have:

8ca03c10e4d0a4c3a48825282f62dac1.jpg

e45e99f7a38f46bf6adc4ddd77ced809.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The Sam's kit is a boo-boo kit --- a good start.
Like AFBronco said, supplement it. Quick-Clot can be found at Cabella's on sale sometimes and is nice to have if one of your buddies is on blood thinners and has a bad afternoon.
An EpiPen can save a life.
Imodium can save a trip...

My most common first aid uses have been stings, splinters, small cuts and burns. But over the years there have been broken ankles, a broken ulna, sprains, dislocations, blood clots, etc.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Quick-Clot can be found at Cabella's on sale sometimes and is nice to have if one of your buddies is on blood thinners and has a bad afternoon.

FYI, don't buy the Quick-Clot powder. They make bandages that are treated with Quick-Clot that are much cleaner and easier to use when you manage to get your buddy to a hospital. If you do buy the powder, only use it to supplement the bandages. The powder is a real ***** to clean out of an open wound. The US military no longer uses the powder version because of that. If any of the powder gets left in a wound after its been stitched up, it can lead to major problems down the road.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
FYI, don't buy the Quick-Clot powder. They make bandages that are treated with Quick-Clot that are much cleaner and easier to use when you manage to get your buddy to a hospital. If you do buy the powder, only use it to supplement the bandages. The powder is a real ***** to clean out of an open wound. The US military no longer uses the powder version because of that. If any of the powder gets left in a wound after its been stitched up, it can lead to major problems down the road.
Good point.
They have a sponge. I think there's a newer one with silver infused.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Adve...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02939583&rid=20

libarata

Expedition Leader
I used the powder on a gash I receive don a biking trip. Never-the mother ****- again... It was a learning experience for sure. I will stick to a good sponge, a dash of h2o2 or witch hazel extract, and a wrap for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz