digital traveler's gear

haven

Expedition Leader
Overlanders generally are not bloggers, but they have similar needs while traveling: Lightweight, durable equipment to capture their experiences, provide entertainment, and connect to friends and colleagues back home.

In general, the equipment falls into categories
-- lightweight laptop or tablet-plus-keyboard for writing
-- smart phone for calls, texts, data and often as camera. Ability to serve as a WiFi hotspot for the laptop or tablet
-- tablet for watching video, listening to music, playing games
Choices here often cluster around the OS: Apple, Android, or MS Windows

-- external battery to recharge when mains power is not available
-- cables to connect the above

Then comes the optional equipment, based on the goals of the trip

-- digital camera and lenses to capture photos and video (varies widely depending on need)
-- external mic or mics for better sound than provided by built-in mics (used for interviews, narrating video, improved ambience, Skype calls)
-- an external hard drive to store images (depending on how long the trip is, and to act as a backup)
-- tripod and specialized mounts for camera/video
-- waterproof camera or enclosure

What's in your digital traveling kit?

haven

Expedition Leader
The Consumer Electronics show happened a couple of week ago in Las Vegas. The show attracts bloggers and reporters from all over. Many post articles about the gear they are taking to cover the show. A few examples:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/29/whats-in-my-bag-ces-2015-video/

http://lifehacker.com/the-ces-coverage-bag-1677556766

http://thetechinformist.com/what-is-kevin-taking-to-ces/

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/brads-mobile-reporting-kit-ces-2015.html

Here's another, not related to CES directly, but about mobile gear for a writer

http://www.zdnet.com/article/good-mobile-gear-early-2015/

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Thanks for posting up the links, love checking out fellow traveler's gear dumps...even when they are purely technological.

office.jpg

The List:
  • Canon 70D (primary) and S100 (pocket)
  • Journal (leather-wrapped Moleskine and fountain pen)
  • Ultralight notebook (custom-built ASUS X202E running Win8)
  • HTC One (because the iPhone's terrible reception is no excuse)
  • Inexpensive earbuds (always looking for a better inexpensive set)
  • Kindle...because books are heavy
  • Ruggedized USB3.0 thumb drive for field backups or moving big files
  • GPS data logger
  • Miscellaneous cables to charge and/or plug into stereos
  • Pocket-sized notepad (Field Notes "Expedition"...waterproof)
  • Flashlight (Surefire LX2)
  • Multitool (Leatherman Charge TTi and bit kit)
  • Basic first-aid and survival kits (AMK and Survival Resources)
  • All packed up in Waterfield bags (presentable in urban settings, durable in rough country)
Full details here: http://chazzlayne.com/simplifytoo/

My mobile office hasn't changed much in the last two years. It's all carried in a backpack now instead of a shoulder bag, the Lumix GX1 in a Pelican case has been swapped out for the (weather resistant) Canon 70D in a Tamrac soft bag, the checkbook wallet is gone (cards aren't worth their occasional discount), but otherwise it's all the same. The kit stays as above regardless of destination, city or wilderness. Exceptions would be removing the first-aid/survival pouch for air travel, and dropping down to the Canon S100 when the 70D is too big or intrusive.

I included the paper methods of writing and note taking because I find they are just as important, if not more important, than their digital counterparts. The act of writing with an instrument inspires creativity, where the act of typing can actually stifle it. As Hemingway said, "Write drunk, edit sober." The same applies with paper vs. keyboard: get it out on paper, then edit it on a computer.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My tech setup is my asus vivotab RT win 8 tablet with keyboard (essentially a netbook at that point and what I use 90 percent of the time) my 500gb Seagate drive for loading my photos and videos on for editing with my asus tablet, a Fujifilm X-S1, a Fujifilm X10, Nokia 1020, ultrafire 2000lm LED flashlight with rechargeable battery, Either my G shock watch, or my pathfinder triple sensor multitool watch, my victorinox knife, A bear Grylls folding knife and what ever oakleys Tickle my fancy for the day.

I just picked up a LePan Mini tablet for dash duties in my Jeep as well. It will run BCN, Canada topo pro, and torque.

rlynch356

Defyota
humm - my normal office kit (also the travel kit)

Filson padded compter bag
North face document holder (receipts and all the cards and various denominations i run into, but mostly paper receipts that i am required to keep for now) - trying to ditch this..
Macbook pro w/dvd, 16gb, 500gb ssd - heavy for now - switching soon to an air since the dvd is rarify used. I also have an ultra light dell - but i'll take the weight penalty.
iPhone 6+, stock earbuds
Coach daytimer (4x6") 1985 vintage, 6 ring, with write in the rain paper. It's a hold over from ..forever, serves as both notes and inspiration.
Laptop and phone charger cables + Usb extension cable
5100 mah battery (no charger, charges off the laptop when plugged in, small enough for your pocket)
duracell Led flashlight (small one and disposable/giftable as needed)

Other..
leather man micra
1988 zippo (camel bucks vintage)
benchmade Mel pardue 530

camera is usually nikon but, when traveling the 6+ is my go to..

Nothing is "ultralight" but most of it has been in constant use for years so i'll take that trade off and keep it light by elimination of stuff :)

kojackJKU

I forgot to add my lowepro camera bag. I want some cool tablet bag. something like a filson, or something like that. If I want bigger computer duties, I will take my acer timeline 4810T, 16hrs battery life 14" screen DVD drive 8 gb ram and 120 gb ssd, or take my beast. Acer aspire 7720, 17" of HD screen'ed goodness. I have 128 gb ssd and a 500gb hard drive in it, still gets 10 hrs of battery and is a great big notebook.

kojackJKU

Here is our main travel kit. It includes, our FUJI X-S1, Fuji X10, Seagate 1tb hard drive, usb hub, Asus vivotab RT LTE (x2), LePan Mini android tablet, Nokia 1020 (x2), zune MP3 (x2), 1020 camera grip, a card reader, chargers etc. Everything can fit into the lowepro small backpack, but if we are flying, we take the case logic backpack. Not in photos are our two laptops depending if we are going for long periods of time, My Acer timeline 4810T and her Acer aspire 7720.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Since most of my adventures include driving my Bronco to my final destination and camping in it, my weight and power needs are a little different and depend less on battery life. That said, I still try to keep it light and simple.
Custom Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with 1 TB memory and 6 GB ram running Win 8 but hope to try Win 10 when it comes out.
Surface 2 tablet with keyboard and 32 GB micro SD card that I use for navigation and quick email messages. Also doubles as Kindle/repair manual/study guide.
2 TB external hard drive. A bit bulky, but it holds most of my entertainment collection so I can't complain.
Nokia Lumina Windows phone for pictures, phone calls, text messaging and internet hub when available.
All the assorted charging and data transfer cables as needed.

My 91' Bronco itself has a few additions to help with my gear. Custom charging station with charger/cable bag mounted on the glove box. Home made swing arm tablet mount for on and off road navigation with Bluetooth GPS receiver. Custom center console for mounting all electronic gadgets. I'm also currently working on getting a ham radio with AHRS mounted up, along with the required license, for email/messaging purposes. I also have a flip down TV mounted above the passenger seat connected to a CD/DVD player with USB memory port so I can watch movies on there while doing computer work. I'm a very talented multitasker. I've considered hooking the TV up to a camera of some kind, but I haven't found the justification for that yet. Maybe a thermal camera for security purposes while I'm out camping?

Of course, that's just the digital tool kit. I have a whole slew of camping/survival/repair tools handy, but I don't want to clutter up the discussion too much.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

KMET

Adventurer
Little netbook running Ubuntu with built-in card reader, same size Nikon uses. Flash drive with Puppy Linux (I can then boot Puppy on any PC with a USB socket)
IMG_0445.jpg

Unlocked GSM backup phone.
IMG_0638.JPG

When technology fails.
IMG_0391.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz