5.9 ZJ Build

ken78cj5

Observer
i have had a 95 ZJ with the 5.2 I got at a great price. I paid 700 for it, and did not have to pay extra for the rod knock. I put off rebuilding the engine and have let it sit for almost two years, but that did not stop me from buying sliders, roll cage and bumpers.

I was getting ready to finally pull the trigger and pull the motor, and I stopped by my local offroad store to buy lockers, gears and trusses, when I spotted another ZJ in the car lot next door. The hood was popped and from across the parking lot I saw the hood vents...that means a 5.9 Limited. It is in great shape with only 142K miles on it. The asking price was 3800, but the 249 is in sad shape so we settled on 3000 cash.

I ordered a 5.5" lift from IRO and should be delivered today. Only bummer is I live in CA, but am working in Florida this week. I fly home on Friday to start assessing the two ZJs and start melding the pieces together to make a DD expo rig.

Phase 1 is pulling the TC (242) from the 95 ZJ and swap it into the 98.
Install the front Hansen bumper
Paint and install the Rock Hard roll cage
Install the frame stiffeners
Install the sliders
Install the RockHard rear bumper

Phase 2 is lockers, gears and tires and Crome Molly shafts.
Lockers = ARB
Gears = 4.56s
Tires = 33s

ken78cj5

Observer
Jeep Steve, I know it does not happen if there are no pictures....lol

K2ZJ, I hope they do work. I just ordered them. A buddy of mine is a welder, and I am sure we can make them work.

As soon as I get home I will post some pictures.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
A 95 5.2 would have the 249 case, even if a 242 was swapped in at some point it is not directly compatible with the 98 output, you would need to find a 96-98 242. And who is selling chro-moly shafts for the 44a axle?

ken78cj5

Observer
Jeep-n-Montero

According to my build sheet my TC in the 95 is indeed a 242. I know I will have to swap the input shaft from the 249 to the 242. I may look for one in the JY.

That is a good question about the chrome Molly's for the 44a. If I cannot find them, I have a D44 out of an MJ that I will swap in with an Artec Truss.

ken78cj5

Observer
Nitro

I had ARBs F/R on my 96 Bronco, and I agree they are a great choice for what I have in mind. I looked on your web site, but did not see any applications for my ZJ. Do you carry gears and lockers for it?

Feel free to PM me any pricing info.

Mitch502

Explorer
I wish I could pull the trigger and build my 5.9. I've put a little over 23K miles on it, and love it. I don't want to change it because I love it so much as it is. The wife isn't happy that I refuse to part with it, meaning that sometimes I have 3 vehicles to fit my "needs", lol.

It also sucks that to get 33" tires under it you have to do some cutting, or spend a couple grand minimum to get 32" tires.

Get pics!

ken78cj5

Observer
Well, it is official! I have started on the upgrades. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics I will post them up.
Rear lift is in, working on the front. Unfortunately I have to wait for a buddy to come over and help weld on the front truss, and set up my gears.

I have also finished the rock sliders, front and rear bumpers, and roof rack....more to follow.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I wish I could pull the trigger and build my 5.9. I've put a little over 23K miles on it, and love it. I don't want to change it because I love it so much as it is. The wife isn't happy that I refuse to part with it, meaning that sometimes I have 3 vehicles to fit my "needs", lol.

It also sucks that to get 33" tires under it you have to do some cutting, or spend a couple grand minimum to get 32" tires.

Get pics!

Actually, you can spend around $700 and run 33's, it's very easy.

Mitch502

Explorer
Actually, you can spend around $700 and run 33's, it's very easy.

Looking into it a little more, you are definitely right. Too mad Old Man Emu doesn't make springs more than 1.25-1.5" in lift! Well, how's IRO 3.5" lift w/ 2" spacers? That should allow 32-33"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior