2003 Mitsubushi FG Overland Camper Renovation

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

P1110139.JPG

(above) First off, I will be working out of here soon... A very nice place to visit...

P1110140.JPG

(above) Shower sink just before close-up...

P1110141.JPG
(above) Simple...

P1110142.JPG

(above) Got lucky finding some attractive cedar... Back-screwed with SS screws... It comes out without juggling...

P1110142b.JPG

(above) A flood coat of water repellant will help it not get blotchy, if that even matters...

P1110142bJPG.JPG

(above) The shower sink drain is a standard tailpiece, with a 3/4" Carlon coupling epoxied into it... The tubing is electrical conduit epoxied into the fittings... Later it was painted with hammered copper paint... it will sit in the hole in the wood deck...

P1110146.JPG

(above) The fridge front panel is black plastic that can be removed... I did and put on a paper print overlaid with a single layer of 4 oz. fiberglass cloth and epoxy... Squeegeed pretty dry... Gives a painted canvas look... The prints were contact cemented to the back side of the panel...

In the background, the bath ceiling needs Osmo, the light a hook-up and the glass panel needs to get here... Getting close...

P1110147.JPG

(above) The vertical sliding partition between the cabin and the cab is in the down position... Hammered aluminum glued and riveted to 1/8" aluminum... Thin L aluminum stock stiffens the panel and gives a place to lift... The U tracks are screwed to the wall... The sliding door has an adhesive felt track to keep it from "grabbing"... Looking from the cab back, it looks like beat up and scratched aluminum... Boring...

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Man if I was closer and could afford it I'd keep you busy in my house and van. Outstanding work. I am in complete awe.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Ok

The bed sits on the external storage areas. Thus lifting the bed would not provide open seating as in the video.

Thank you. I guess for me I do not want to have even remotely as much outdoor storage space. I suppose that will have biased my thought process.

Still, it seems like that would be a way to have a single mattress with one bed that does not have to be made up each day...even if it did sit on top of the storage when it comes down.

GR8ADV

Explorer
C
Thank you. I guess for me I do not want to have even remotely as much outdoor storage space. I suppose that will have biased my thought process.

Still, it seems like that would be a way to have a single mattress with one bed that does not have to be made up each day...even if it did sit on top of the storage when it comes down.

Good comments FP. There is seldom any one right answer for a build as we all have our own needs and desires. One of the real downsides of this truck is its size;wide and tall. As always that is one of its strengths as well. The amount is room available over say a van, a sprinter, and an EC is amazing. But yes it comes at a cost.
I have spent many years moto touring , backpacking and SUV camping and have become tired of the micro packing. Now if I want to take two huge Peruvian alpaca blankets on the next trip, no problem. Need a place for the spare so it's not hanging high and off the back no problem. I love my 36 inch two 30k btu burner camp chef that slides right in with room for another. Full size collapsible table? well you get the idea. And with all that I have a spacious interior.
It can't go everywhere, but it can go a lot of places and will do so comfortably. I think of it more is a versitle rv than a big jeep.

GR8ADV

Explorer
So for those wondering Paul did not fall off the face of the earth. Life just got between him and the fuso for a bit. He did send me this pic of the dinette in its down position. We will likely have it in this mode most of the time and pull the table up to eat. I am amazed at how many designs don't utilize this concept and keep the table in place as the only seating. Now we have a comfy couch.

image.jpg

GR8ADV

Explorer
not enthused?
NO no Paul is amazingly enthusiastic about everything he does. His attention to detail, and creativity are really remarkable.
Regarding the status, let's just put it this way, when one has 12v and 120v in their vehicle, all black wires are not the same. :Wow1:
Things are coming together well and I could not be more pleased. (other than now the cab of the truck looks like crap in comparison).
Quite possibly I will have it at the NW Rally next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier