FG649 Cabin harmonics

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi all
I have been working on my mitsubishi FG649 Amesz camper and have just bolted down the engine inspection hatch as some have recommended in this forum post fitment of single seats. My question is has anyone experienced a cabin vibration / harmonic at approx 1200 revs? I am just second guessing myself as to if the harmonic was there before or I have created it through the bolt down?
Hope someone has some gems of knowledge
Thanks in advance
Steve

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Steve

That's a weird one. As long as you're sure the hatch lid is sealed properly when you bolted/screwed it shut so there is no extra engine noise entering the cab ..... And presuming that none of the bolts are too long and rubbing on an engine component ( like the AC compressor) , I can't think of anything. While you had the mats up that's a good time to throw some sound proofing down. That helps to double seal the hatchlid too. Sorry I haven't got more.

Regards john

Last edited:

blackduck

Explorer
Harmonics !!!
thats a nice way to describe that god awful drone
makes it sound almost pleasant

Steve i use a simple method to drown out the noise

IRON MAIDEN REALLY LOUD

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hmmm Stu, maybe I was sugar coating it a bit.

And I think a good dose of Black Sabbath might be a good cure, although my better half may not agree!!! But I need to get a second set of speakers
before I can pump up the volume...but that's another question for another post.

Until we put the truck back together again and take it for a drive, we won't know whether this "drone" is an annoyance
a major problem, or maybe even non existent when driving. So until then, it's just wait and see.

Cheers Steve

blackduck

Explorer
Steve
when i fitted buckets in mine i noticed the engine noise was more prominent
suprising how the seat muffled the noise
as part of the cab fitout i got some domestic underlay ( there is better stuff available) and some good quality waterproof carpet and used the vinyl floormat as a template
yes it made a difference
although i drive with the window open so i get the turbo squeal coming in the drivers door

so its back to iron maiden

blackduck

Explorer
So... your suggested alternative is the guy who proved beyond a doubt that he was well and truly past his prime at the 2011 AFL grand final? Good on ya! :)

OZZY theres nothing wrong with meatloaf
the beauty about music is with modern technology (note owen still uses 8 track) you can listen to the man when he was in his prime
Owen's just peeved cause nobodys gone into bat for kylie minouge and hes feeling all alone :victory:

ozzyfishaman

Adventurer
OZZY theres nothing wrong with meatloaf
the beauty about music is with modern technology (note owen still uses 8 track) you can listen to the man when he was in his prime
Owen's just peeved cause nobodys gone into bat for kylie minouge and hes feeling all alone :victory:
I though Owen was into Justin Beiber :wings::wings::wings: Nothing wrong with Meatloaf in his PRIME :victory::victory:

kerry

Expedition Leader
I was getting some loud harmonics on mine. It was the heat shield over the turbo. It had rusted out around one bolt hole. Replaced it and all is quiet again, relatively speaking.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Thank you john for you reply and suggestion.
I have doubled checked the bolt down of the hatch, the bolts all face up so they should be right. As I also have removed and replaced the seats I have double checked their bolts as well. They do not appear to be touching the engine, alternator etc. I have also since applied a layer of sound deadening paint to the wheel arches. Today I put the water tanks back in and I am close to being able to drive the Amesz again. Will let all know if moving the vehicle makes a difference. Thanks again
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles