Looking for ball park curb weight on a T6500, T7500, and Isuzu FTR,FSR,FVR

Jfet

Adventurer
I cannot seem to find this information. I realize the exact curb weight will depend a lot on model year, accessories, tires. I just want a ballpark figure to compare with my 2006 Isuzu NRR with 176" wheelbase (6600 pounds for cab and chassis without 2100 pound flatbed).

Because the T series is no longer made, GMC seems to have removed all access to curb weight calculators.

We are still deciding to either upgrade from the NRR to F series or GMC T series or try to lighten the NRR by modifying the existing flatbed.

If the 25950 GVWR T series has a cab and chassis curb weight of 11,000 pounds, then by the time you add a flatbed there is not really significant saving over the 19500 GVWR Isuzu NRR with it's 6600 pound curb weight. Some, but not a vast amount. I am now suspecting the T7500 actually does weigh about 10,000 or more pounds (I had been thinking it would be around 8500).

Anyone?

Jfet

Adventurer
I called a dealer selling a 2007 T-7500 and he had some papers showing the cab and chassis weighing in at 11,700 pounds !

Damn.

If you tossed our 20 foot flatbed on that it would be 13,800 pounds.

Our Isuzu with the flatbed is 8700 pounds.

Difference of 5100 pounds, which pretty much eats up all of the gain going from 19,500 to 25,950.

What in the world do they put in the T series to make it 5100 pounds heavier than a Isuzu N series?

boostin

Adventurer
For work I owned a t7500 and now a fg180.

There is a massive difference in just the size of the truck...the t7500 felt like driving a semi truck..It's big..slow..and it feels heavy....It's a big truck..I assume the 6cyl engine ad's a lot of weight..the frame is massive...the diff is huge..the cab is big.

The fuso fg180 feels like a sports car with better mpg and feels significantly faster cause of the power to weight ratio.

I chose the fuso seemed like hauling less weight and smaller engine would lead to much better mpg.

Mind you I feel the fully loaded fuso is prob at is limit where the t7500 fully loaded prob still has a ton of capacity left just the gvw won't let you

Jfet

Adventurer
For work I owned a t7500 and now a fg180.

There is a massive difference in just the size of the truck...the t7500 felt like driving a semi truck..It's big..slow..and it feels heavy....It's a big truck..I assume the 6cyl engine ad's a lot of weight..the frame is massive...the diff is huge..the cab is big.

The fuso fg180 feels like a sports car with better mpg and feels significantly faster cause of the power to weight ratio.

I chose the fuso seemed like hauling less weight and smaller engine would lead to much better mpg.

Mind you I feel the fully loaded fuso is prob at is limit where the t7500 fully loaded prob still has a ton of capacity left just the gvw won't let you

Thanks for the first hand experience boostin!

I agree it must be the 6cyl is much much heavier than the 4cyl, plus the NRR has a 44,000psi frame and the T7500 a 80,000 psi frame (likely much heavier). The cab has space behind the seats (which would be nice I admit) making it heavier, and the 22.5" wheels would be heavier than the 19.5" on the NRR.

Empty, I can see why the 4cyl would feel peppy. The new Isuzu 4cyl has 215hp and 400 something ft-lb torque while the T series is only 15 more hp for a vehicle twice as heavy.

My 2006 model only puts out 190hp, 387ft-lb torque but I don't have DPF burn or DEF fluid to deal with :)

I have the actual numbers for my 176" wheelbase NRR. 6184 pounds base weight, 13,316 pounds max payload.

My flatbed is heavier than I wrote, since the truck scaled at 8650 with full 30 gallon fuel and no driver (so flatbed is at least 2450 pounds, not 2100 pounds).

I may end up trying to lighten the flatbed and limp around with this lighter NRR for awhile to see how things go. If I could shave 800 pounds off of that flatbed it would go a long way toward helping my cargo capacity.

boostin

Adventurer
It's kind of funny we are basically going through the same thing...I ended up going with the lighter truck...seems easier to manuever and UN loaded should return better mpg.

I also have a 16 foot deck that I would like to lighten as well so depending what you end up doing I might do as well.

I do miss the manly feeling of the t7500.. mine had the cat that terrified me but it sounded like a real class 8 diesel.

That being said I can actually have a conversation in the fuso and not only hold speed going up hills but also gain speed.

My t7500 was only a 4 speed auto well my fuso is 6 speed which also makes much better use of the power.

Jfet

Adventurer
I don't know what your deck is but mine is some sort of 1.75" thick wood plank (maybe apitong) I think it may be 900 pounds or more of wood.

I can get aluminum 6 inch deck planks that span the same area that weigh around 300 pounds. A nice easy (well, except for removing the rusty screws) way to gain back 600 pounds.

I can shave 70 or 80 pounds off my headache rack while still keeping 20 inches of it. I already plan on dropping down to 1 higher capacity battery than the two it currently has, saving 40 pounds.

This diet plan would net me about 700 pounds which may be enough that it makes sense to keep the Isuzu NRR. I just don't know...am on the fence about what to do.

DzlToy

Explorer
The curb weights are all contained in the body builders guides, which can be found by searching year and model of truck and PDF in your favourite search engine.

While the FRR has a slightly different frame and is only rated at 19,500 pounds (FVR, FXR have ratings of at least 33,000), I can't imagine there would be a massive weight difference between them.

Attachments

• FRR Curb Weight.jpg
    FRR Curb Weight.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94