Anybody pulling an M101 with a Discovery?

film842

Observer
Would love to contact anyone who has an american M101 and is pulling it with a Discovery. Or actually anyone with a like sized rig. I know that compared with the M416, that they're pretty heavy, but I do like the space and the ability to haul a lot of weight off road and other wise.

Anybody have any opinions Thanks.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Many members pull them with a JK or FJ and seem to pull fine.
If you swap out axles and drop the surge lunette you can drop weight.

BSR

Utter Numpty
How heavy is the M101?
I've dragged 3t trailers a number of times and a 5t digger/3 axle trailer combo once (and I will never do anything that big again).
Off road I wouldn't want to tow more than about 2t though, which is roughly 4400lbs.

shogun

Adventurer
How heavy is the M101?
I've dragged 3t trailers a number of times and a 5t digger/3 axle trailer combo once (and I will never do anything that big again).
Off road I wouldn't want to tow more than about 2t though, which is roughly 4400lbs.

Oh yea, I wanna watch that. 2t off-road. You driving a duece and a half for that?

The 101 is rated as 3/4ton/1500#. Long way from 2t.

BSR

Utter Numpty
You driving a duece and a half for that?

The 101 is rated as 3/4ton/1500#. Long way from 2t.

Sorry, I have no idea what duece and a half is.

An unbraked sankey hits your 3/4t weight, and they also come in 1t versions.
As Rapier system, also towed by the 101 was well over 2t, I'm afraid you're incorrect.

Even 90/110's unbraked rating is 750kg max, but 3500kg is max rated towing capacity with overrun brakes.

Anyway, back to the OP; have a look here to see if your Discovery matches model/spec
http://www.auto123.com/en/new-cars/technical-specs/land-rover/discovery/1996/base/

Hope that helps.

Grebby

An unbraked sankey hits your 3/4t weight, and they also come in 1t versions.
As Rapier system, also towed by the 101 was well over 2t, I'm afraid you're incorrect.

He's talking about the M101 trailer, you appear to be on about a Land Rover 101FC :)

Even 90/110's unbraked rating is 750kg max, but 3500kg is max rated towing capacity with overrun brakes.

Those are the figures for on road. Off road is 500kg unbraked 1000kg braked. I just checked the manual. It came as a bit of a surprise to me as farmers have been hauling stock trailers in and out of fields with Landys for ever but I don't suppose that counts as "off road" really.

Last edited:

film842

Observer
I believe the M101A2 (I'm guessing that's what trailer you mean) is about 1350+ lbs.

I think you could dump about 150 lb's by doing as Mark suggests.

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m101_trailer.php

Thanks for the input and yes I'm trying to make a choice between either the lighter weight M416 or the heavier M101...or barring either of them, having a trailer base fabricated. My tendency is to go with the military trailers because they can be pretty much ready to go depending upon the mods you want to make.

The intended use is for two people doing a couple of 3k-4k road trips with some off road every year plus the usual weekender camping trips. The Discovery is a heavy old beast and can slow down on hills all by itself, but otherwise is rated to tow 7700 pounds braked so I believe it can handle an M101, it just won't be very fast. That's OK since I'm not in a hurry.

I'm going to post this question on a couple of Land Rover forums and see if I can find someone who has an M101.

In the meantime, I have another question since I'm still trying to educate myself about trailers and suspension....it seems like lots of owners of military trailers replace the axles. Is there a particular reason why?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input and yes I'm trying to make a choice between either the lighter weight M416 or the heavier M101...or barring either of them, having a trailer base fabricated. My tendency is to go with the military trailers because they can be pretty much ready to go depending upon the mods you want to make.

The intended use is for two people doing a couple of 3k-4k road trips with some off road every year plus the usual weekender camping trips. The Discovery is a heavy old beast and can slow down on hills all by itself, but otherwise is rated to tow 7700 pounds braked so I believe it can handle an M101, it just won't be very fast. That's OK since I'm not in a hurry.

I'm going to post this question on a couple of Land Rover forums and see if I can find someone who has an M101.

In the meantime, I have another question since I'm still trying to educate myself about trailers and suspension....it seems like lots of owners of military trailers replace the axles. Is there a particular reason why?

I tow my camper with a 6 cylinder, and have a ton of mods on the truck. The 4Runner is rated for 5000#. The trailer is about 2600# fully loaded (and literally includes the kitchen sink) and it pulls really well, I'm just not using overdrive very often. I think a good start point is what your creature comfort level is...mine is not a minimal approach.

As many have stated the trailer becomes your base camp for the days travels. If your looking for something is to be more of a "camper/teardrop" or just a gear hauler? Part of that equation (at least in my world) is the set up has to comfortable in any weather conditions..the down side of that is that is the extensive set up time. I usually only take the trailer out for 4 days or more, unless I have help setting up and taking down the tent.

We share a similar philosophy...I'm rarely in a hurry to get there, and want to enjoy the ride.

The military trailers (my favorite is the M116A2 flatbed) for the most part are extremely stout, and unless they have been purposely abused, are pretty much indestructible. The same is said on the M101A2/3.

Electric brakes and to have a common lug pattern with the tow vehicle.
One spare fit all.

As Mark states here, the axle change, if ordering a 3" diameter (5,000#), for the most part can be a direct bolt up. You do have to cut off and weld back the spring perches, but outside of that it was easy to do. I ended up using aluminum Spider Trax because my wheels are hub centric, not lug centric, again, an easy mod....and you can share the spare between both.

If your approach is more minimalist, then the M416 size (Adventure Trailers/Manley) will probably be more than adequate.

Good luck with your search!

Pat

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Would love to contact anyone who has an american M101 and is pulling it with a Discovery. Or actually anyone with a like sized rig. I know that compared with the M416, that they're pretty heavy, but I do like the space and the ability to haul a lot of weight off road and other wise.

Anybody have any opinions Thanks.

I have both trailers, and honestly, you really don't want to be toting an M101 around off-road unless it is the most mild of off-road excursions. Besides topping a half ton of weight before you even load anything in it, they're tall, wide, and just bulky in general. Start loading it up with the gear it could haul and it wouldn't be long before it was towing you around off-road and not the other way around. You will be much happier with an M-416 (or equivalent) and learning to pack smart & light.

shogun

Adventurer
I have both trailers, and honestly, you really don't want to be toting an M101 around off-road unless it is the most mild of off-road excursions. Besides topping a half ton of weight before you even load anything in it, they're tall, wide, and just bulky in general. Start loading it up with the gear it could haul and it wouldn't be long before it was towing you around off-road and not the other way around. You will be much happier with an M-416 (or equivalent) and learning to pack smart & light.

What he says. The 101 is too big and it will gross out well before it cubes out.

Maybe you should research tow ratings to see what a crock they are. Big numbers sell, but they are pie in the sky and just because they tell you a number so you'll buy the vehicle doesnt mean it will do it, or wont die trying. There is NO standard tow rating test that vehicle manufacturers use. There is an SAE test, but nobody uses it for thier "official" ratings, because, well, then they couldnt lie. And then figure in the diff between highway (straight, smooth, constant speed) and off-road. Find a reasonable. real-world tow rating and cut it in half for off-road. Just a correction I pulled out my, well, same place the manufacturers pulled their tow ratings from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94