Just purchased a baofeng, do I really need a license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWesson

Adventurer
This isn't entirely true. FRS handhelds generally have a transmit power of 1/2 to 1 watt. Hams, the Chinese ones mentioned for example, do up to 4 watts output. Also, FRS frequencies are in the UHF section of the spectrum, and those frequencies are generally better at penetrating buildings and such. VHF frequencies (MURS, 2m, etc.) are generally better and outside, curve-of-the-earth comms. A simple Baofeng operating on VHF freqs would most likely have a much better range than FRS. That doesn't mean it'll be great, or even enough. A longer antenna does make a big difference. The higher you can get the transmission, the farther it'll go.

I understand that in scenarios where you can be at a higher point then the Ham will go further but try it yourself.

Tune in to 462.5625 and channel 1 of your FRS and send back and forth until out of range. I've tried it 5 times or so in different areas and they both fall out of range equally.

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
Tune in to 462.5625 and channel 1 of your FRS and send back and forth until out of range. I've tried it 5 times or so in different areas and they both fall out of range equally.

That doesn't really surprise me with a stock Baofeng. Better antenna? Maybe it'd make a difference, maybe not? I would like to try the same experiment by tuning into something like 151.820 and FRS channel 1.

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
I have a little story that I now use to encourage folks in our club to get their license. Christmas night 2014 I picked up my phone to go put it on the charger. On the way I get a message that pops up on Facebook Messenger from one of my friends. It says "Nick, I need help. I am at the bottom of a ravine at Angel's Peak and can't get out. Off of Kyle Canyon". That was it. No more communications.

I knew the general area. Angel's peak is about 9,000 ft up and the only way to get there is a rugged ridge line from either side of the mountain. 3 rigs from our club headed that way. We went up from either side. Near the top, I opened up the squelch on the CB and started calling out on our club channel (8). Finally after a few hours of searching, I started hearing a crackle coming from the CB and it was our guy. He was able to get directions to us. He had indeed taken a wrong turn off of a trail on a dark snowy night and ended up at the bottom of a steep ravine. He had busted the right front tire on a root and was in a spot just wide enough for his rig with about a 6ft dropoff of either side.

He was less than two miles from a repeater that was at the top of the mountain! He had to hike back out to that peak to get cell service where he could message me! We had one of our members stay at the top and she was relaying comms back to our club and our Facebook page so everyone would know how things were unfolding.

My point....get your license and do it right! This guy was on a mountain in 12 degree temps with blowing snow with his wife and 4 year old. They were on a trip that he had pre-ran and all it took was one wrong turn. Having access to the repeater would have allowed much better comms and a faster rescue.

This is the only pic I have of us using a tow strap to winch him out of the hole he was in:
10430431_10204492992238375_1619559785712749679_n.jpg

MrWesson

Adventurer
I have a little story that I now use to encourage folks in our club to get their license. Christmas night 2014 I picked up my phone to go put it on the charger. On the way I get a message that pops up on Facebook Messenger from one of my friends. It says "Nick, I need help. I am at the bottom of a ravine at Angel's Peak and can't get out. Off of Kyle Canyon". That was it. No more communications.

I knew the general area. Angel's peak is about 9,000 ft up and the only way to get there is a rugged ridge line from either side of the mountain. 3 rigs from our club headed that way. We went up from either side. Near the top, I opened up the squelch on the CB and started calling out on our club channel (8). Finally after a few hours of searching, I started hearing a crackle coming from the CB and it was our guy. He was able to get directions to us. He had indeed taken a wrong turn off of a trail on a dark snowy night and ended up at the bottom of a steep ravine. He had busted the right front tire on a root and was in a spot just wide enough for his rig with about a 6ft dropoff of either side.

He was less than two miles from a repeater that was at the top of the mountain! He had to hike back out to that peak to get cell service where he could message me! We had one of our members stay at the top and she was relaying comms back to our club and our Facebook page so everyone would know how things were unfolding.

My point....get your license and do it right! This guy was on a mountain in 12 degree temps with blowing snow with his wife and 4 year old. They were on a trip that he had pre-ran and all it took was one wrong turn. Having access to the repeater would have allowed much better comms and a faster rescue.

This is the only pic I have of us using a tow strap to winch him out of the hole he was in:
10430431_10204492992238375_1619559785712749679_n.jpg

Or just buy a cheap baofeng and program the repeaters and use it in an emergency like this one.

if after he/she decides to get a license then great. Someone is much more likely to go that route IMO.

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
I really don't either but....

With the exception of how the hobby is being represented by the older bunch. (I am in my mid 40's by the way) I belonged to a ham radio group over on Facebook for a while. I posted a simple question about Galaxy 10M radio and within 15 minutes I received no less than 10 messages telling me how I was a law breaker, wasn't a real operator, and stopped just short of saying that I was going to hell. All I wanted was an opinion on the Galaxy as a secondary radio for my rig. All of these guys were in the 60+ range. Had I been new to the hobby I would have been completely turned off to the hobby.

That being said though.... would you operate your vehicle without a license? Don't perpetuate the fall of an awesome hobby and don't advocate use of a radio without the license just because you are pretty sure you want get caught.

MrWesson

Adventurer
I just don't get the resistance to a ham license.

Because of this and more.

I really don't either but....

With the exception of how the hobby is being represented by the older bunch. (I am in my mid 40's by the way) I belonged to a ham radio group over on Facebook for a while. I posted a simple question about Galaxy 10M radio and within 15 minutes I received no less than 10 messages telling me how I was a law breaker, wasn't a real operator, and stopped just short of saying that I was going to hell. All I wanted was an opinion on the Galaxy as a secondary radio for my rig. All of these guys were in the 60+ range. Had I been new to the hobby I would have been completely turned off to the hobby.

That being said though.... would you operate your vehicle without a license? Don't perpetuate the fall of an awesome hobby and don't advocate use of a radio without the license just because you are pretty sure you want get caught.

I could easy take/pass the exam right now. I wont because I don't want to support the system as is with getting a license and fees. I'd rather see it turn into CB than in its current state which is...

An desolate underused over policed spectrum.

Add in a bunch of chatty old guys who are hostile to anyone who encroaches on "THEIR" space. Half of the spectrum could be broken up and made public and Hams wouldn't notice. Even in the 3rd largest metro area in the US it is a literal ghost town.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I guess it comes down to whether you respect the rule of law or not. We don't live in a world where we are only required to obey the laws we agree with.

jimed43

Adventurer
I got my license, with 2 days of study. I just took the online test over and over. I have no desire to talk to the older crowd, but I want the privilege to do, if I need so. It is a major turn off, however with it being a older crowd, you can change that by just getting involved.

Trolling eh?

Keep exploring your keyboard and places with cell service there buddy ;)

You fired shots at me first. :REOutArchery02: Haters gonna hate.

And after this whole thread I can say I don't care about a license or using a ham radio. It's pointless. HAM = POLICE
I dont want to be the POLICE. I'm vegan so I shouldn't mess with bacon. I'm just gonna use this thing as a walkie talkie and if you want me to tell you in pig Latin FRS/GMRS or MURS. I think that's probably illegal too. Hope no HAMS monitor the walkie talkie frequencies. GOD forbid I get triangulated by the lynch mob.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

You fired shots at me first. :REOutArchery02: Haters gonna hate.

And after this whole thread I can say I don't care about a license or using a ham radio. It's pointless. HAM = POLICE
I dont want to be the POLICE. I'm vegan so I shouldn't mess with bacon. I'm just gonna use this thing as a walkie talkie and if you want me to tell you in pig Latin FRS/GMRS or MURS. I think that's probably illegal too. Hope no HAMS monitor the walkie talkie frequencies. GOD forbid I get triangulated by the lynch mob.

MURS and FRS are fine (as long as you comply with the transmit power and fixed antenna requirement) but GMRS requires a license.

How are you going to handle the FRS CTCSS (squelch) tones?

This looks like a good link, if you have CHIRP - http://www.instructables.com/id/Program-the-Baofeng-UV-5RA-by-and-for-new-GMRS-lic/

Last edited:

luk4mud

Explorer
Entertaining thread. I got my license a few months back. Took the test from a club in the valley, I showed up for the meeting, was respectful, waited until the end. I am 52 and was the youngest there by far. I got the hard sell to join their club, politely declined, as I have all my teeth and dont wear suspenders (yet).

Then I went to the Burbank Ham Radio Outlet to buy gear. Same crowd shopping there. After hearing multiple jokes about offroaders and then how the Baofeng and how it was not a "real" radio, I still bought a really nice mobile Yaseu. I was having trouble using it after install, took my Jeep in for them to take a look. They tested the radio, declared it to be working fine, then told me the issue was a "lose nut behind the wheel, learn to program your radio". I left after getting their "help" and am still struggling to understand a radio with too many options.

pugslyyy

Entertaining thread. I got my license a few months back. Took the test from a club in the valley, I showed up for the meeting, was respectful, waited until the end. I am 52 and was the youngest there by far. I got the hard sell to join their club, politely declined, as I have all my teeth and dont wear suspenders (yet).

Then I went to the Burbank Ham Radio Outlet to buy gear. Same crowd shopping there. After hearing multiple jokes about offroaders and then how the Baofeng and how it was not a "real" radio, I still bought a really nice mobile Yaseu. I was having trouble using it after install, took my Jeep in for them to take a look. They tested the radio, declared it to be working fine, then told me the issue was a "lose nut behind the wheel, learn to program your radio". I left after getting their "help" and am still struggling to understand a radio with too many options.

As someone who works with a lot of technology (and is an electrical engineer) I have to agree about the bad UI of most radios - you would think that after so many years that they could come up with a more intuitive / friendly UI that doesn't rely on remembering arcane key press sequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier