Just purchased a baofeng, do I really need a license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luk4mud

Explorer
this thread has convinced me that ham is not for me. ill just buy a spot

Maybe not the conclusion that some of us wanted non-Hamers to reach. I use my radio only for trail communications. On a typical trip, most in my crew have a Baofeng now (few of any have a license and I could care less). I like having the ore powerful mobile unit so I can talk to everyone and hit the repeaters of need be. Now if I could just figure our how to program the dang thing ....

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Or just buy a cheap baofeng and program the repeaters and use it in an emergency like this one.
The reason to get a license and chat about the weather while commuting is to check that your radio works and you know how to operate it when you actually need it.

Last edited:

xbox73

Adventurer
Entertaining thread. I got my license a few months back. Took the test from a club in the valley, I showed up for the meeting, was respectful, waited until the end. I am 52 and was the youngest there by far. I got the hard sell to join their club, politely declined, as I have all my teeth and dont wear suspenders (yet).

Then I went to the Burbank Ham Radio Outlet to buy gear. Same crowd shopping there. After hearing multiple jokes about offroaders and then how the Baofeng and how it was not a "real" radio, I still bought a really nice mobile Yaseu. I was having trouble using it after install, took my Jeep in for them to take a look. They tested the radio, declared it to be working fine, then told me the issue was a "lose nut behind the wheel, learn to program your radio". I left after getting their "help" and am still struggling to understand a radio with too many options.

Nifty accessories make mini manuals & quick rerefence cards that can help w.r.t. learning the features of your radio:
http://www.niftyaccessories.com/Yaesu_cards.htm

This guy makes good software for $15, though the free price for Chirp (http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download) is pretty difficult to beat:
http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/order.html

In both cases of programming software, you need a programming cable, available at your local HRO or other ham radio retailer or here:
https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/USB-cables-for-Yaesu-Mobile-radios-s/1947.htm

DaveInDenver

I like CHiRP a lot, but I have G4HFQ's software for a couple of my radios. It's excellent software and is better as a general radio configuration tool. It's worth the money if you want to move or backup the radio as a whole, with stuff like display, memory groupings (banks), tones, comments, etc. CHiRP does the memory slots but does not often support some or most secondary functions of the various radios. Depends on who's developing it, their level of dedication and what they can reverse engineer. Where CHiRP excels is getting memories across a ton of brands of radio.

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
Entertaining thread. I got my license a few months back. Took the test from a club in the valley, I showed up for the meeting, was respectful, waited until the end. I am 52 and was the youngest there by far. I got the hard sell to join their club, politely declined, as I have all my teeth and dont wear suspenders (yet).

Then I went to the Burbank Ham Radio Outlet to buy gear. Same crowd shopping there. After hearing multiple jokes about offroaders and then how the Baofeng and how it was not a "real" radio, I still bought a really nice mobile Yaseu. I was having trouble using it after install, took my Jeep in for them to take a look. They tested the radio, declared it to be working fine, then told me the issue was a "lose nut behind the wheel, learn to program your radio". I left after getting their "help" and am still struggling to understand a radio with too many options.

That is why I have been working very hard at developing an "offroader friendly" radio store. If you think the people in the store are hard to deal with, you should try dealing with the manufacturer. I had the Yaesu rep tell me in not so many words that with places like HRO and AES that they really didn't want or need my business. Baofeng is easy to deal with if you buy 20 or more radios and honestly I see them becoming a bigger name in the off road world.

DaveInDenver

The HRO in Denver is quite the opposite. A couple of years ago we started getting most of the club members licensed and we were sending them a whole ton of business. We've also helped some of the local repeater guys access their remote sites. We have a pretty good reputation, the Rising Sun is often known by name and if not they are referred to as 'oh yeah, those 4WD guys'. A little good will goes a long way. Helping repeater owners get to sites, especially in winter or using highly technical trails, is a tremendous positive.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I've always had a good experience at the HRO in Anaheim CA. I usually start out by apologizing that I am still an "appliance operator" after all these years, and after everyone has had a laugh they answer all of my questions and point me in the right direction.

Oldmancrash

Adventurer
TO ALL THE PEOPLE AGAINST HAM RADIO. Well I am an old fart ham radio guy. Damn that sucks having to say that but I guess it is true. My wife keeps telling me I am old. I am sorry your experiences have been crappy and you were not made to feel welcome at club meetings like you should have been. As many of you most likely know, clubs for any type of a group are very clickish. And ham radio sure has it's issues. Ham radio stores are just like any other specialized store. Some are good some are even GREAT but some are also not worth the time of day. So I just don't buy from them. If you are lucky enough to have a local ham shop and they are rude. Then go in there and browse the equipment, touch it, feel it. Then go home and get online and find another store you might like better. I got my license back in the day when you had to pass a code test and a written test some 30+ years ago. Then taking my general 13 wpm about did me in. But some fellow ham friends wanted me on the higher bands and we all worked a 10m net every night until I could pass. So as you all can see not all hams are in it to just talk about the weather or just old sticks in the mud. But a majority are. That's why if you look at the licensed hams in your area only a very few do club meetings. I know a few hams that feel they are the ham police but oh well everyone has their special feel good. I have done a LOT of fun things over the years with ham radio and some of it has pissed off some of the locals. Oh well. I don't need them to have fun with my hobby. I do support repeaters because I believe if I am going to use it I should support it. I did get my license because I knew it was the right thing to do. Then I could go in any direction and not have to worry about someone turning me in, maybe. Some of you on here say you won't support the ham scene because you won't support the old farts. That's cool. There are 1000's of folks out there running outlaw and it happens every day. Ham radio is not for everyone. Because after all this is a hobby and should not be something to create bad feelings. So all in all do what you want to do and most likely you will never get caught. But it's a super simple test now and who knows maybe if you get your license you might run into a fellow ham and become friends. I apologize for the old rude farts you have had to deal with. I hope that you enjoy this fun hobby

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...I could easy take/pass the exam right now. I wont because I don't want to support the system as is with getting a license and fees. I'd rather see it turn into CB than in its current state which is...

An desolate underused over policed spectrum.

Add in a bunch of chatty old guys who are hostile to anyone who encroaches on "THEIR" space. Half of the spectrum could be broken up and made public and Hams wouldn't notice. Even in the 3rd largest metro area in the US it is a literal ghost town.

Kinda like a drivers license. Why don't you man up and skip that too :D

Look, it's not for everyone. But to say you don't/won't support or follow the rules because of some cranky old-timers that you have zero reason to interact with is like saying you're not going to get a drivers license because grey-hairs drive slow in the fast lane. Or "I'm not leaving the US because I've heard Mexico is dangerous"... knee jerks based on stereotypes that are often in fact untrue.

I'm a younger guy, 30 year from retirement and I have been a ham operator for 10 years... we are not all old hams. I chat on the local ham repeater on occasion but primarily I use it for trail comms and race efforts. Could I run in those scenario's sans a license? Surely, many do but why not invest in something that is a vital part of your off-road experience? Why not promote legal and responsible use of communications?

CB radio's just brink the suck in most circumstances. Often you can't turn your squelch up high enough to drown out the "trucker poetry" being blasted throughout many channels on high-output machines. You can be 100 miles from an Interstate and get blasted with interference. I'd dread seeing HAM get a similar following...

MrWesson

Adventurer
Kinda like a drivers license. Why don't you man up and skip that too :D

Look, it's not for everyone. But to say you don't/won't support or follow the rules because of some cranky old-timers that you have zero reason to interact with is like saying you're not going to get a drivers license because grey-hairs drive slow in the fast lane. Or "I'm not leaving the US because I've heard Mexico is dangerous"... knee jerks based on stereotypes that are often in fact untrue.

I'm a younger guy, 30 year from retirement and I have been a ham operator for 10 years... we are not all old hams. I chat on the local ham repeater on occasion but primarily I use it for trail comms and race efforts. Could I run in those scenario's sans a license? Surely, many do but why not invest in something that is a vital part of your off-road experience? Why not promote legal and responsible use of communications?

CB radio's just brink the suck in most circumstances. Often you can't turn your squelch up high enough to drown out the "trucker poetry" being blasted throughout many channels on high-output machines. You can be 100 miles from an Interstate and get blasted with interference. I'd dread seeing HAM get a similar following...

It has been said by many posters claiming I don't want to participate/follow the rules. I don't participate and follow the rules.

Getting a drivers license is part of proving that you can operate a motor vehicle that is capable of killing many. I don't see the straw man comparison here.

A ham isn't a vital part of anything and can be replaced with a CB, Spot GPS, Sat phone, and probably other means of communications. Like I stated before...

You can speak very clearly within your off road group with FRS.
You can use a ham radio to transmit in an emergency.
Learning how to program and use a ham radio is silly easy with chirp and 30 minutes online will teach you how to use a handheld.

All I was saying and it still holds true that if you don't want to get licensed.. don't. Buy a radio and if you're not half a nit wit then learning to use it will be easy. I'd suggest strongly if you do buy a baofeng to buy the programming cable and program all local repeaters which was so easy I could have had a 5 year old do it.

Its up to you if you want to risk a huge fine. I'd say its hardly worth it but I'd admit to keying up a local repeater to make sure my radio reaches it. I have no interest in talking to hams.

CB's may have too much traffic on them but if you are just looking for an emergency setup its actually a positive because more people are using them. I can scan local repeaters and the entire ham spectrum and not hear anyone for hours. Its a literal ghost town which begs the question should some of the ham spectrum be opened up to the public? IMO yes.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
It has been said by many posters claiming I don't want to participate/follow the rules. I don't participate and follow the rules.

Getting a drivers license is part of proving that you can operate a motor vehicle that is capable of killing many. I don't see the straw man comparison here.

A ham isn't a vital part of anything and can be replaced with a CB, Spot GPS, Sat phone, and probably other means of communications. Like I stated before...

You can speak very clearly within your off road group with FRS.
You can use a ham radio to transmit in an emergency.
Learning how to program and use a ham radio is silly easy with chirp and 30 minutes online will teach you how to use a handheld.

All I was saying and it still holds true that if you don't want to get licensed.. don't. Buy a radio and if you're not half a nit wit then learning to use it will be easy. I'd suggest strongly if you do buy a baofeng to buy the programming cable and program all local repeaters which was so easy I could have had a 5 year old do it.

Its up to you if you want to risk a huge fine. I'd say its hardly worth it but I'd admit to keying up a local repeater to make sure my radio reaches it. I have no interest in talking to hams.

CB's may have too much traffic on them but if you are just looking for an emergency setup its actually a positive because more people are using them. I can scan local repeaters and the entire ham spectrum and not hear anyone for hours. Its a literal ghost town which begs the question should some of the ham spectrum be opened up to the public? IMO yes.

I always try to follow wilderness protocol - just because you don't hear me doesn't mean that I'm not there. I agree that there is very little traffic out there

Robert Bills

Explorer
[Bla, bla, bla, I don't need no stinkin' Ham license.] [Bla, bla, bla, I'm a punk kid.] [Bla, bla, bla], I don't participate or follow the rules. [Bla, bla, bla], I admit to keying up a local repeater to make sure my radio reaches it [but] I have no interest in talking to hams. [Bla, bla, bla did I mention that I'm a troll???]

IMO, this sums up the point of the OP and the follow ups by his "adventure squad."

Time to let this thread die a natural death.

DaveInDenver

As a service this is true, there are many options to get the job done.

But to the vitality, the reason the FCC requires a modicum of technical testing is that you are allowed legally 1,500 watts of transmitted power over most of the bands. There are exceptions and knowing where you are limited is important. Also knowing modes and bands (you can't use phone/voice everywhere) you are allowed is important. The FCC takes a hand's off approach to amateur radio, lets us work on our own radios (no GROL needed, you get to self certify), build and modify our own gear with the single caveat that we don't extend or create harmful interference beyond our band limits.

Why is that? So that you don't obscure vital services elsewhere. You may think your pirate 50W station is unimportant unless you happen to be sitting at or near some else and creating interference for a commercial operator, fire dispatch, GPS, air bands or Flight For Life. The no-test license or unlicensed spectrum has specific restrictions to make the chance for this happening very unlikely. Fixed antennas, minimal power, limited modes, inability to freely tune. None of that applies to ham so the risk/reward dictates showing you have at least some ability to understand this.

Squad up homies. Yall still so mad. I don't get it. I never admitted or even tried to key up the local repeater. Don't know where you fools got that from. The only thing I ever keyed up is my nose. Sorry I don't got a call sign to end my post with. I support the rules of law, but you all are SHEEP. I would never rat or snitch on nobody that's my only problem with HAM.

I'm Tryna get a ham antenna for my car, which one do yall recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior