Just purchased a baofeng, do I really need a license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I have to disagree a bit. CB became a junk band loooooong before cellphones came into favor. It was the explosion of sales in the 1970s (and influenced by the Smokey & the Bandit, Convoy et.al movies) when everybody and their brother had a CB in their car (and enforcement was impossible) that lead to the demise of CB.

With the influx of these cheap handhelds from China, I am fearful of the same fate for amateur radio.

By the way, I have both types of comms in my rig. CB for short range trail comms, and Ham just in case I need to reach out farther.

When I was younger (mid-'80s, well after Convoy and S&tB), the REACT teams monitoring CB channel 9 were very alive & well. I always found it interesting to listen in as they relayed information over to highway patrol, police, fire, etc. It was rare the channel would be quiet for more than an hour or so without someone calling out to report a drunk driver or accident, needing a tow, AAA, etc.
As the '90s came around, traffic on 9 quickly began to fade away at pretty much the same rate as cell phone's popularity rose (even the REACT operators as they signed on & off their shifts started making comments to each other about how quiet things had gotten because of cell phones). Eventually I never heard them at all anymore

During that time I can't recall there being much deliberate interference with them. There were numerous active local groups using a half-dozen channels in my area too. If anything, it was signals from stations in Mexico (where they don't recognize CH-9 for emergencies) occasionally coming in via atmospheric propagation ("skip") that seemed to create the most interference. This had nothing to do with lawlessness on the band.

I certainly do agree however that as long as there is a licensing requirement in place for ham radio, people such as the OP here should abide by it (IOW, stick to CB (27MHz), MURS, or FRS frequencies if getting a license isn't in the picture. Between these three license-free CB bands I've had little trouble communicating reliably with friends and most of the user groups I've associated with).

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Wow. Lots of strong opinions here...couple of viewpoints missing. One is that I wouldn't judge hams from listening to repeaters, or even reading internet posts, any more than I'd judge gun owners from looking at bullet holes in highway signs or reading internet posts about guns. It's not a good sample.

Yeah, there are some people out there that have nothing better to do than stop watch someone to see if they're IDing enough...and the reality is that they're much more likely to be a problem for the licensed ham than someone running w/o a license.

Back to the original question, if you're out running w/ your friends, talking back and forth mobile on simplex frequencies, there's a decent chance nobody will notice or care. But if you want help, and it's not a real emergency, consider what you're asking the ham to do.... You're asking him to talk to you, which is a violation of the FCC rules. Now that might not matter to you, because you don't care, don't have the license, nobody knows who you are, etc. But the guy you want to help you? He's got a license, and people in the area probably recognize him by the sound of his voice, and some jerk could turn him in for breaking the rules, in trying to get a tow truck because you got your truck stuck, and you couldn't be bothered to get the license. But hams, although they are old and like to whine about things, are pretty helpful, probably would help.

I don't care any about who breaks rules, but it does seem a little silly to berate a group of people because you suspect they might not help you, because you were too busy to take a multiple choice test. It's a little bit like showing up at a camp site w/o any gear, and making fun of the guys who actually thought it was a good idea to bring a tent, while also asking them if they have something to eat.

mm58

Observer
4x4junkie...
Point taken. Actually I think you're absolutely correct in saying that cellphones were responsible for the CB market to dwindle away. But the huge boom that was the 1970s and the lawlessness that came with it was responsible for turning it into a foul-mouthed junk band. So we each have a valid point.

I guess, as with most things in life, the success or failure of something is usually attributable to several factors and not just one thing.

Last edited:

mm58

Observer
AlbanyTom has a very good point. Without a license and a valid callsign, most if not all other hams would not acknowledge you on the radio and talk to you anyway. You'd have to be bleeding out or someone in your party having a heart attack to get a licensed ham to respond to you. Just get your ticket. It's not that hard

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Pointless to have just in case of a breakdown. HAM nazi's sounded pretty harsh to me but now I think it totally fits. Man what a stuck up community. I even went to the HAM RADIO OUTLET in Burbank to check things out, guy working didn't even acknowledge me, too busy talking to some other old geezer while I was in there so I just left. A test book was $30 so I didn't buy anything because you can get stuff on the internet for free.

I hope more people buy these damn Baofengs and ruin the whole HAM spectrum. Haha JK but seriously why y'all always so mad. And to not help someone stranded is kinda weird to me. I might be over this HAM license. Just gonna listen when I'm at home, and annoy people when I'm in my car.

The point of getting a license is to understand how to legally use the available spectrum with courtesy. I don't think having a license is going to be much use for you.

The chance of being caught is very small, so if the only reason you choose to not break the laws of the land is the threat of being caught then carry on with your illegal activity. Plenty of people break worse laws.

JimBiram

Adventurer
Get the Tech license...it's so easy, and there are free apps for iPhone android, Mac, etc to take practice tests. I had a breakdown off Sherman Pass and no cell service, etc. Thankfully I was able to reach an experienced ham on the Bird Springs Pass repeater who was kind enough to call AAA for me, and to check in with me every 30 min while waiting the 5 hours for AAA to arrive. Yes hams do police the air, because the airwaves are valuable to them, and it's the rules that make the airways a reliable, useful tool not only for emergencies but also for daily use to communicate. Ham radio is what you make it and it's your choice if you want to turn it into a full blown hobby, or just a tool for trail use. In some respects, it's like the road system...the "rules" are that we drive on the right side of the road...if we don't all agree to abide by that rule, we have anarchy on the roads and you can't get anywhere.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

craig333

Expedition Leader
This is the one I used to study for my exam. http://www.eham.net/exams/ Personally I prefer to know more than just enough to pass the test but for many thats all they need and I have no problem with that.

Pre cell days I used my CB to call for help a couple times. Not react though. Here in Sac the react guys were a bunch of nut cases. I'd stopped using CB because of the cesspool it became except for trail runs prior to cell phones. Cell phones were just the nail in the coffin.

As for the crusty old geezers. I can find them. I can also find the fourwheelers on 805, the Ares guys and on and on. Pays to spend some time and see whos using what frequencies in your local area.

lugueto

Adventurer
I was on a similar boat as the OP about a year ago. I was sick of CB's unacceptably poor quality, and FRS/MURS wasnt gonna cut it. My trail buddies and I decided we would switch to VHF for added range and better communication quality. I always said I would get my license, but I still havent. Mind you, I live in Venezuela, regulations are somewhat strict but the HAM crowd is extremely small, this affects the availability of the tests.

I don't have the risk of an FCC fine, although I transmit illegally, I have spoken to licensed HAMs and they advised me to stay off of commonly used frequencies (which I have monitored and have written down). I also never use repeaters, until I get a license, this way I don't interrupt licensed HAMs or any other authorized comms. When I get my license I will use my radios to their full potential.

I bought a Baofeng UV5R in December as a backup or "non-vehicle-dependent" unit. I have not programmed it yet, but my understanding is you can program the MURS/FRS channels on it and use those. If you strictly use the MURS/FRS channel, would you get a fine anyways? maybe for using higher-power radios or simply using a radio with the ability to transmit on restricted allocations?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Get the Tech license...it's so easy, and there are free apps for iPhone android, Mac, etc to take practice tests. I had a breakdown off Sherman Pass and no cell service, etc. Thankfully I was able to reach an experienced ham on the Bird Springs Pass repeater who was kind enough to call AAA for me, and to check in with me every 30 min while waiting the 5 hours for AAA to arrive. Yes hams do police the air, because the airwaves are valuable to them, and it's the rules that make the airways a reliable, useful tool not only for emergencies but also for daily use to communicate. Ham radio is what you make it and it's your choice if you want to turn it into a full blown hobby, or just a tool for trail use. In some respects, it's like the road system...the "rules" are that we drive on the right side of the road...if we don't all agree to abide by that rule, we have anarchy on the roads and you can't get anywhere.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a similar experience where I broke through the crust on a "dry" lake bed in very NW Utah. Was able to get on the linked repeater for the whole state and talked with a ham who was able to coordinate a truck to come yank me out. I was miles and miles from cell reception - it saved me an extremely long walk.

Cool stories. I get you guys. I probably would never call for help on HAM that's why we have cellphones. I always roll with a squad anyways. Never go anywhere solo, I get anxiety, gotta roll with homies. Started this thread to see what wild reactions I would get. Some of Yall need to ease up and maybe smoke some weed.

Been studying this app on my iPad. Everything is still really brand new. Been listening to 2 repeaters in my area. One is a total mess 147.435 with people taking bong hits and yelling obscenities and looping stuff. It's dead air mostly half the time tho. The other is 449.500 and all they talk about is buying camping eating utensils (sporks) and people love breathing into the mic talking all slow. They have event called BURNING HAM coming up and some guy is going to bring special t-shirts to the party. But what I'm hearing right now is white people making bad gay jokes about Asians. Is there anybody on ham radio that isn't white? Nobody sounds black or Hispanic at all. Just asking. The way I see HAM RADIO is you gotta follow the white mans (FCC) rules and play by the book.

This thing is just actually a really cool walkie talkie can't wait for my new antenna. Gonna cop one more so I can take them to all the music festivals this summer.

Leads me to...

No. If were a group I was leading, I'd likely just invite you to find a group you feel like respecting. You've shown your cards at this point with your comments above, pretty broad brush you paint with.

I was joking when I said I was gonna annoy people in my car... Keep exploring utah there buddy.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Lots of us do roll solo. It has its risks but we understand them and mitigate them as we can (such as with ham radios). Is it predominately filled with caucasions? Sure it is. Its partly cultural, partly financial. Much like overlanding and four wheeling. You need the time, the funds and a background that makes these things seem normal. Its ever so slowly changing.

MrWesson

Adventurer
The FCC actually explicitly defines an emergency for these purposes:

§97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.
No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur
station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to
provide essential communication needs in connection with the
immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of
property when normal communication systems are not available

An out-of-cell stuck doesn't qualify unless your truck is teetering on a cliff or you're running out of food/water. If you're that worried about the "HAM Nazis", spend the $15 and a few evenings of your time...

Screw that.

It specifically mentions safety of life. Being 40 miles from anything in the woods and stranded should qualify. If it doesn't i'd get a kick out of having the media shine a bright light on the Ham spectrum and policing.

As I stated before I have no interest in chatting with hams or supporting what they are all about.

So if I showed up to a trail run/ meet and everyone I was with didn't have licenses but we all had ham radios would y'all call FCC right there?

Any ham radio guy I have met(dozens), based on the internet and monitoring the radio from time to time I'd be shocked if they didn't. I'd bet if you were using a repeater one of them would go out in the field with their tracker equipment to find you for the FCC. Ham is serious business.

Your interpretation of the emergency use clause assumes quite a bit that is nowhere to be found in the clause itself.

No mention of "life or death emergency", just "safety". And careful readers will notice that even the safety of one's property is specifically mentioned. The wording is extremely broad, as it should be to give people enough flexibility to handle the unknown. The notion that you cannot hit the transmit button until you are in a "life or death" situation is too nutty for even the FCC.

And while I do respect all laws, not just those I happen to agree with, some of the claims made here about FCC enforcement are fatuous in the extreme. Unlicensed users of a 2.5-5w Baofeng while camping or off roading will never hit their radar, and evenif they did wouldnot make the top 100 of the FCCs concerns as a regulator.

R
X2

But I've researched and apparently a handheld to handheld ham wouldn't have that much or any more range than a FRS radio due to the curvature of the earth. That is unless you install a tall antenna on the jeep.

I've read 2 miles handheld to handheld simplex.

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
But I've researched and apparently a handheld to handheld ham wouldn't have that much or any more range than a FRS radio due to the curvature of the earth. That is unless you install a tall antenna on the jeep.

I've read 2 miles handheld to handheld simplex.

This isn't entirely true. FRS handhelds generally have a transmit power of 1/2 to 1 watt. Hams, the Chinese ones mentioned for example, do up to 4 watts output. Also, FRS frequencies are in the UHF section of the spectrum, and those frequencies are generally better at penetrating buildings and such. VHF frequencies (MURS, 2m, etc.) are generally better and outside, curve-of-the-earth comms. A simple Baofeng operating on VHF freqs would most likely have a much better range than FRS. That doesn't mean it'll be great, or even enough. A longer antenna does make a big difference. The higher you can get the transmission, the farther it'll go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior