LG Voyager Navigation. Anyone ever use it?

euro.love

Adventurer
So I just got the LG voyager which is verizon service. The one that kinda like the I-phone. I have never used GPS before so I dont know much about it, or what are the desired features. The phone has GPS on it with turn by turn navigation. Has anyone ever used it or have seen it in action? It cost like $15 a month for it, so I opted out to start. Because I know my way around town. But in a month I am going on a 4 month road trip and think GPS of some sort would come in handy. So my question is. Has anyone used it? Is it a good system? Should I just buy a Garmin and be done with it?

eugene

Explorer
Verizon phones do not have GPS's, they have a service called aGPS which is like a simulated GPS. If you loose signal then you loose your position/navigation info. Now verizon is pretty good with having a signal most anyplace but with analog going away its getting less coverage. I've went to state forests where I had no analog signal even and you need digital for aGPS and VZNavigator.

Carlyle

Explorer
If that's the case I would be real hesitant to not have a real GPS. There are many places I loose my signal here in Colorado, even with a boosted antenna.

At $15 a month you'll have paid for a GPS pretty quickly. It always amazes me how these cell phone companies make money.

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking about getting that phone in about 3 weeks. How do you like it so far?

I have seen the VZ Navigator in action and it works well, as long as you have a signal. The turn-by-turn directions are great. $15 sounds steep, I was told that its $2.99 per use or $9.99 unlimted use per month.

However, I would probably have a GPS as a back-up anyway if you think you aren't going to have coverage.

chet

island Explorer
you should never have to pay a monthly fee to use GPS! if you are then its not true GPS. it looks like GPS but transmits through the cell. signal

TJVach

Observer
I too have the LG Voayager. I started out with the whole package including the VZ Navigator. I tried it just to see how it was and honestly you would be better off getting a dedicated GPS. That way you won't have to worry about losing your signal, and you can add topo maps, won't have to worry about keeping your battery life up, or spending a ton of money on something that should only cost you as little as $100 for a quality product.

euro.love

Adventurer
Awesome. That answers my question. I did not realize that if I did not have service I could not use it. I def want a real deal unit. It does have the internet on it which I am going to activate soon, which is very nice to access weather info, driving drirections, places to eat, and even browse expo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles