What did you do to your Mitsubishi today?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Ran the new brake lines for the Mighty Max and made a new steering shaft, so once i install the new brake proportioning valve i will have brakes and steering again.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
How typical. I wound up getting really frustrated last night. I finished reinstalling all the parts back onto the engine of my other Raider. Some of you guys may have noticed from earlier posts in this thread that I've been in the process of doing a cylinder head gasket job.

Well last night I stumbled upon a huge coolant leak as I was filling up the radiator. I knew I was going to have a problem with the o-ring that I was sold at the auto parts store. I confirmed it today on probably the hottest day of the year so far. WHEW!!! Its the o-ring that fits on the back of the water pump to the coolant pipe that supplies the heater core and runs in the valley of the block. I disassembled the upper and lower intake plenum again to get to the stupid pipe. I went to two different auto parts stores and none of them had the right o-ring. None of my harbor freight set worked either.

I wound up at Ace Hardware and bought a new o-ring. 5/8" I.D. x 7/8" O.D. x 1/8" thick. It finally worked. I'm happy to report that the leak has been dealt with. I've reassembled the remaining parts back onto the engine and now its time to fire it back up. And as it turns out my battery is dead. So now I'm waiting on my charger to take care of it for me and I'll go try to fire it back up.

I think I'm done guys. I hope I'm done. We will see if I can get it started or not. I'll ping you guys back on this thread.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Okay great, I got the coolant leak fixed and got the "other" Raider running earlier. I completely forgot to put in the new set of spark plugs so I'll do that tomorrow.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Well I finished up helping mk75, we were attempting to remove the cylinder heads off the engine the other day but I ran out of time. Today I went back to his place and we got it done with about one hours worth of additional time.

Verdict is that the head gaskets had a catastrophic failure causing coolant to leak into the cylinders and into the exhaust system. I think mk75 will decide this next week on a remanufactured engine or something else.

Good luck bro.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I replaced new spark plugs on my "other" Raider yesterday. Removed old plugs, then gaped the new ones, put dielectric grease on them and antisieze then reinstalled the new set. It took me 15 minutes. Eat your heart out Gen 2 guys!

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
Put a sheet of aluminum of in the back to clean the look up a bit. Still need to cut a hole for the handle and sand and round edges but only cost 6 bucks and I have some left over to make a wind screen for my stove.

Before:
15588950913_2fd9b963d9_c.jpg

After:
19336596915_aeda8901a5_c.jpg

bikerjosh

Explorer
Technically Friday/Saturday, got the Montero aligned, installed salvage yard turn signal stalk w/headlight washer, fixed mirror, installed Cabella's seat covers, fixed my buddies passenger side mirror and test fit my mid re-enforced skid plate.
Need to get new bolts for the skid plate since mine were stripped, just waiting on the my front re-forced skid and I'm good. :sombrero:

nckwltn

Explorer
Technically Friday/Saturday, got the Montero aligned, installed salvage yard turn signal stalk w/headlight washer, fixed mirror, installed Cabella's seat covers, fixed my buddies passenger side mirror and test fit my mid re-enforced skid plate.
Need to get new bolts for the skid plate since mine were stripped, just waiting on the my front re-forced skid and I'm good. :sombrero:

What seat covers did you install? My driver's seat is starting to get worn through.

bikerjosh

Explorer
What seat covers did you install? My driver's seat is starting to get worn through.
I went with the covers from Cabella's, $20 per seat, went with tan & black. Work pretty well, unbolted the armrest to suck up the cover and then put it back together.
Check out post #27 on this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...mendations-Gen-II-Monty?highlight=seat+covers
Josh

Edit: just checked website, must have got in on a sale, they are now $25.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&Ntt=seat+covers

mk75

Adventurer
Speakers ... Direct Fit // New Cats

Expo ,

Hey so not to long ago I installed this speaker set up in my 99 gen 2.5 .2015-07-07_08-55-12_339.jpg

Front Doors " Marine Speakers"
Alpine SPS-M600 / size 6.5 / Mostly a direct fit.
I'm sure everyone has seen what happens to the Infinity 6x5 . My thinking was at some point these speaker will be below the water line at some point.

Rear speakers / Rubberized
Alpine SPS -619 / 6x9 / Direct Fit

So long story short after installing the deck it sounded like **** so I took it to the pros . I had to have the Infinity Amp cut out and wired everything to the deck. If someone decides to cut out the amp and wire directly to the new deck be careful not to accidentally cut into the ABS wire as they share the same wire harness run under the right passengers side as the 6x9s wires. I chased my tail on this for a minute and took professional electrical auto guy a couple days to sort.

Also had to install a new left and right catalytic converters " Cali Rig" . I purchased from Davico MFG /Direct Fit . These guys take pride in there work and you can see it when you hold it in your hands. Looks better then the OEM in terms of welds and metal quality. " NOT CHEAP"

Last edited:
I got 15x8 Pro-comp wheels and 33x12.50 Wrangler Duratracs mounted up. When I was mounting them I found a brake pad had dislodged and was just sitting on the dust cover, so I'll be replacing pads later today too. Last week I removed the rear sway bar, installed KYB Monomax rear shocks, replaced valve cover gaskets, NGK Iridium IX plugs, NGK wires, Plenum Gasket, and rear cam o-rings, put some hood spacers on to help with heat.
lB8bMMK.jpg

OmWeU09.jpg

rI5NarK.jpg

bofw4eh.jpg

l1Wb5zO.jpg

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Put new rear shocks on the gen3 today. KYB Gas Adjusts. Haven't tried them yet. But the RR one was leaking oil, and the rear felt like it was at sea, so it should be an improvement?

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Okay all done with the other Raider now. I installed a new rotor and distributor cap. I fixed a folded valve cover gasket that was causing a little bit of an oil leak. The Raider is ready for me to sell it off now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior