GAS VS DIESEL

556ID10T

Hello everyone been a lurker for awhile taking in all the knowledge here and i'm about ready to get a truck after a long hiatus. I'm normally a rclb guy but thinking of future family possibilities I might opt for a eclb. That aside I'm just wondering if I should get the Vortec or a Duramax. I've always been intrigued by diesels but never had one. As for outings it would be limited to weekend trips for now. I also won't be towing anything that I forsee in the considerable near future. That being said I want a truck that I can use for 20 years and do what ever needs to be done. So gas or diesel!

Thanks,
STU

uncle

Observer
I've never had either the Vortec or the Duramax, I'm a Ford Diesel guy and I'm not going back to gas anytime soon

superbuickguy

Explorer
if you have to ask - gas.

diesels aren't less expensive to own, they do get marginally better mileage and Wayyyyy better towing mpg; but today's gas motors are easily capable of 200-300k miles before needing major repair.

mind you - I LOVE diesels and own several... but unless you have a purpose for a diesel... no. With that said, the new light-duty truck diesels are interesting - but whether it GM or Nissan (cummins), the itty bity diesels are too new to make an opinion - especially since the TDI vw diesels have lots of troubles.

so, since you asked, why a diesel - if you're towing a lot, they get 2x the mpg of gas and have more torque so you'll run faster over hills (unless you turn up the wick, then you'll get the same piss-poor towing mpg as gas).
diesels really aren't more reliable because they're smog-encumbered, and gas motors have come a long way in material science... to the point that diesel-level compression ratios are coming in the next couple years to gas motors (with the benefit of more power for less fuel). Overseas, diesels make sense because the fuel stays stable longer than regular gas - here, we add cow pee to make them burn cleaner, but then decrease the fuel economy so the system stays hot enough to work....
for overlanding, a hot cat is a good way to start a fire... not a good thing.

Old diesels.... are awesome - no smog, mechanical pumps, stone-cold reliability, 0-60 measured on a calendar, noisy, smokey.... imo perfect.

amgvr4

Adventurer
I think it depends on how old of a truck you are willing to buy. With diesel anything newer than about 2003 is way too much of a pain IMO due to all the emissions garbage. I love my '96 7.3 powerstroke, it has been great and only needed oil and fuel filters in the 25k I have had it. I also get an average of 17-19mpg with a 4" lift and 37" MT tires. When I had 32" ATs I could get 20-21 on the freeway. If you want a newer truck I would go gas especially with how cheep fuel is these days.

HuskerTrev

Observer
I will chime in as a diesel owner. If you haven't been immersed in the world of Mr. Diesel's engines, it is probably better to stick with gas. Diesels (which I love and have owned six in the last ten years, vs 1 gasoline) are more like a needy pet. They don't like cold. They don't like to be left alone for long periods of time. They constantly need your attention in some form. They are fickle engines that if they are not properly maintained WILL leave you stranded. Gasoline engines, IMHO were designed for the average driver who checks the oil once every oil change. Can run on less then perfect fuel and have a certain amount of idiot-proofness built into them. The main reason I would recommend someone go with a gas powered over a diesel is the simple matter of finding fuel. Take a look the next time you drive through some little town. Having grown up in a farming community you would think that with the number of farm implements that run on diesel that it would be easy to find. What we forget is most farms have their own diesel storage tanks that are filled by the co-op every month or so. Finding good quality diesel off the beaten path is more difficult than you would think.

Now if you find a nice CCLB diesel, by all means buy it! Just know that the diesel side of things is a little more work than the gas, but if you plan on towing anything in your travels you will not be disappointed with an oilburner!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I love my 5.4 gas ford. We have had great luck with gm products yes there suspension has some issues but every truck has one some where. I'd skip the bid D Un less you are going to tow other wise it's a waste.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
If you are now towing, then there is no advantage. Sure a little bit better MPG but a much higher cost to fill the same number of gallons.
Higher cost to run and fix can you say diesel exhaust fluid? not to mention more parts and anything newer is going to be all souped up and running on technolgy good luck ever working on it your self with out a lot of know how, tools and research.

My vote ? Gas. Its just plain cheaper. The new v 8's are getting awesome mpg compared to the past, unless you are going to find some old 7.3 or 12 valve then go gas .

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hello everyone been a lurker for awhile taking in all the knowledge here and i'm about ready to get a truck after a long hiatus. I'm normally a rclb guy but thinking of future family possibilities I might opt for a eclb. That aside I'm just wondering if I should get the Vortec or a Duramax. I've always been intrigued by diesels but never had one. As for outings it would be limited to weekend trips for now. I also won't be towing anything that I forsee in the considerable near future. That being said I want a truck that I can use for 20 years and do what ever needs to be done. So gas or diesel!

Thanks,
STU

Welcome!

A new guy from Ft. Wayne, Indiana….Well, hmmm, this could go either way. You could feel loyal to International Truck and Engine Company type of guy (Ford Powerjoke diesel) being International/Navistar Engineering and diesel smoke has been a Ft. Wayne staple for eons (up until recently) or straight out GM loyal kind of guy given the Ft. Wayne GM Truck assembly plant there. Sounds like you are of the wiser in speaking Vortec vs. Duramax lingo. Regardless of the regional heartstring, this topic has been beaten to absolute death here on Expedition Portal. Save the long post and summarize it very short and sweet…..buy a GASOLINE rig, especially if considering a 2007 or newer rig unless you are towing full GVWR 80 -90% of the time. You don't have to be an absolute fool to buy a new diesel truck but it would sure help especially if you plan to commit to a truck for 20 years.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I had the same dilemma 12 years ago when I bought my truck, an '02 Chevy 2500HD duramax 4x4 cc/sb. This truck has been awesome, very few repairs. It's sitting at 200,000 right now, and still running strong. It get's ~16MPG combined C/H. It's been an awesome off roader too, all stock. When I pay off my wife's FJ in another year or two, Ill be getting a new truck for myself. I bought that I'll be getting another diesel though, and let me tell you why. 95% of the time I don't need the truck for what it's made for, towing/hauling. It's really been a waste for me to own it. Don't get me wrong, I think about keeping it all the time, I love this truck, but it truly is more than I need, since I rarely tow anything. I hope this helps.

wirenut

Adventurer
I agress, if you have to ask, gas.
I'm in construction and I use GM diesel trucks every day to haul and tow up to and over their design limits. They work great with very few problems and are very reliable. However, if I was buying a truck for basic transportation, off roading, camping, etc. it would be a gas truck. The truck is cheaper, the oil changes are cheaper, the fuel is cheaper, etc.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Diesel for a 4wd that will go anywhere and with no issues, try and leave all the electrics at home :). Most of the time in remote areas it is hard to get Gas/Unleaded, also it is less of a risk fueling as the flammability of diesel is lower, this should be taken into account when re-fueling from metal jerry cans as the static can ignite ULP easily.

brice

+1 for the gas. I've had nearly identical ram 2500s at the same time with a gas and diesel and the gas engine is much easier to live with and cheaper to operate. I live in a decent sized area and regularly have to drive several miles out of my way to get fuel, and the diesel pumps are often older and dont have card readers. This is a huge hassle when you have young kids that you have to get out of car seats to go inside to pay. The gas engine is quiter, warms quicker (the cummins starts making heat about the time I get to work), does better offroad, and cheaper.

This being said, I have an 06 5.9 (with only about 70k miles on it), the newer duramaxes may be a different animal.

mdmead

Adventurer
It's refreshing to see realistic people promote the gas powered trucks, even when they themselves drive a diesel.
-
I'm a gas guy (V-10 Super Duty). While I always wanted a 7.3 Power Stroke, I couldn't justify the cost of admission and increased maintenance costs. New diesel engines have a lot of added tech, and I can't imagine repairs ever being affordable. The idea of an engine running 200-300K miles sounds great and all, but my experience has been I don't want to own the rest of the vehicle at those miles. The rest of the vehicle always seems to be nickel and diming long before that. (And I know most Ford and GM gas engines [Dodge/Ram too probably] will run to 200K+ miles today anyway; 165k on my V-10 now.)
-
For me personally, it all comes down to capability. I don't tow at max weight ever... almost never... and the towing I do, is easily handled by the V-10, even if I'm dragged down to 45-55 mph on some of the steeper climbs. If I was in the market for a new truck today, I'd be looking at the biggest gas engines I can get... and would be leaning heavily towards a Dodge (Ram) for that reason.
-
Bottom line: Don't let 'want' overpower your 'need'!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94