Shock Question Again

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
In may of 13 while in attendence ExPo I had the pleasure of speaking to several supension/shock manufactures that resulted in my choosing Tera Flex coil spring replacing my stock 2012 JK springs. During the discussion, I was advised to also upgrade to Fox 2.0 shocks.

Having my local Jeep dealership swapout my coils, I chose to keep my factory Rubicon shocks mostly due to my concern of once again spending good money on a shock that only results in pounding and shaking my fillings out of my teeth. I spend most of my time one pavement, with ocassional backcountry exploring. Being ripped not once but twice times has me seriously shock shy if you will as there never seems to be a try before you buy option.

All sells final anotherwards.

Here is a photo of the typical roads here in my county.

Currently running stock Factory MT's 1.75 frt coils, 1.50 r coils heavy so as to handle small Jeep trailer.

Well, I cannot insert the photo from my Ipad. The photo consist of errosion cuts across the road including miles of washboard.

Weeds

Adventurer
Research the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. They are made in USA and come with a lifetime warranty. I like mine. You cannot find many bad reviews. My OME shocks that came with my springs only lasted 2 years. I think you will find the stock shocks will not last on washboard roads if you drive at any speed. Good luck in you search and decision.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Thank you Weeds, I would have never thought of Rancho as it seems only yesterday the brand had fallen into disfavor.

I am aware of the manual knob Settings for varying terrain conditions. So? In your endorsement? The adjustments do make a positive difference?

After coming home today getting slammed and pounded by factory, sure, going very slow makes for less shaking rattling and poumding, but? When my belly tells me its time for dinner, I wanna get home. Also, these MT's are fun off-road, but man, airing down does NOT seem to soften the ride. Tough sidewalls I figure are to blame. Better than a ripped or torn sidewall I suppose

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I will be ordering Rancho's today, the trial period of 90 days is very telling for me. Thanks for suggesting these shocks.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am running Monroe reflex monotubes. For anything 2.5" or less, they are damn near perfect. I love the ride and control they provide over stock. Add the shock extensions for 2.5" of lift, any less just run em. They have longer versions for the rubicon.

Lifetime warranty and price is awesome when you get them on BOGO.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
in researching other post, I read positive opinions regards adjustability for trailering. Having a mountain cabin has me oftentimes hauling stuff so again, try before you buy is a good thing. Yes, I realize the cost will be more, but, I am so happy with my Jeep my kid will end up with it when I'm out of service.

kojackJKU

I was under that understanding that they help with trailering, but in actual fact they do not help you carry any extra load at all. and the monroes react to all conditions automatically. They are such an improvement over stock its very noticeable.

Sal-XK

Observer
The biggest problem is most shocks get progressively worse as you go because they get hot and over heat. If you truly drive miles of wash board roads I would consider remote reservoirs shocks. This allows the oil to stay cooler and gives you a more consistent ride. Getting a remote shock that is specifically tuned to your vehicle and lift is crucial for performance and comfort.

kojackJKU

yes, its true, however, most people don't want to spend 300 plus per shock to get that. The Monroes are a great compromise. Mine have been pounded off road, on road, etc. I have about 70k on mine now and they are like new. I tried them as a stop gap until I could decide what "real" shocks I wanted as my stockers were spent. After using them, I will never use anything else. I have them on 3 rigs now and they perform as advertised on all three. They are tuned for each rig. Again, going over 2.5" of lift, they are no good. but up to 2.5" you can use the shock extenders and have a great cheap shock. I called rancho and they even said the 9000 won't help carry more weight.

Sal-XK

Observer
yes, its true, however, most people don't want to spend 300 plus per shock to get that. The Monroes are a great compromise. Mine have been pounded off road, on road, etc. I have about 70k on mine now and they are like new. I tried them as a stop gap until I could decide what "real" shocks I wanted as my stockers were spent. After using them, I will never use anything else. I have them on 3 rigs now and they perform as advertised on all three. They are tuned for each rig. Again, going over 2.5" of lift, they are no good. but up to 2.5" you can use the shock extenders and have a great cheap shock. I called rancho and they even said the 9000 won't help carry more weight.

I used the monroes myself in the rear of my last Jeep. I thought they were great as well and I had no real complaints either. They really paid off when I had a ton of weight back their all packed up for trips. But if I ran lots of wash board roads or constant speed on rough terrain I would get the remote shocks.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
So? Maybe the head houncho for Tera Flex was right, Fox?

There is alot of open desert here where I live. This is the best time to be out there as well.

Of course I have seen King shocks, but dang! That would eatup money for other stuff I also need.

Regards to trailer towing, I'm a big fan of SumoSprings. The company makes them for JK's.

kojackJKU

Go with an upgrade you can afford, If you can get fox remote resivoirs, and you think you would benefit from them, go for it. if you really think that you don't need them, I would seriously look at the Monroe monotubes. They are softer than say the bilstein monos, but have way more control and better ride than stock. Plus, they are inexpensive on BOGO at most retailers.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
For much of the time I do run pavement, but then my trek up a county maintained road littured withpot-holes and sudden rock boils in the road make ah guy go "YIPPEE" when at certain speed on one side of the rig is up and the other side teetering (��)

Jus-kidding, but in the old days�� what were shocks as they didn't do much anyways then.

Senior moment.

Affordability=too dang many choices sometimes.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Go with an upgrade you can afford, If you can get fox remote resivoirs, and you think you would benefit from them, go for it. if you really think that you don't need them, I would seriously look at the Monroe monotubes. They are softer than say the bilstein monos, but have way more control and better ride than stock. Plus, they are inexpensive on BOGO at most retailers.

Are the Monroe Monotube shocks the ones with the dark gray body?

kojackJKU

Yes, the dark grey body with a hard shock "boot". it looks like a rubber boot but is actually a hard cover over the piston rod to keep it from getting it mauled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne