Custom old school class C globe-trotter

PoloTurbo

Observer
Just wanted to present my old class c 4x4 on a chevy 2500. I guess it's not an "expedition" camper but not far from it.

The story starts in 1992 were the owner, a wealthy guy that owned the company "Ascenseur Viau" in Montreal (elevator company) and wanted to do the RTW trip.
He contacted VR Lajeunesse in St-jerome Québec as custom RV builder.
I spoke to the very first man who built this unique class C almost 25 years ago. Still working there in St-jerome.
I could not beleive what he told me.
My very old camper traveled in 1992 to Ushuaïa. Then was shipped to Australia. Went to Europe and finished in North America.

168 000km on the odo. I guess it's the mileage of his trip as I bought it from an old lady driving a few miles from her home.

Pretty impress by that story and I traveled only the east coast last year to surf in Hatteras and access beaches.
I'm repairing lots of things but the story convinced me that I need to keep it and keep traveling with it.
Kinda cheap buy, thats the best part :) but costing so much of repairs as no big maintenance were made the last 5 years.

Heres a few pics.

Ps: sorry for my english;, I know it's terrible.

My plan is to travel a few months next year with my wife an a baby boy.
Looking for waves and adventure.
I traveled 1 month in my sportsmobile out west but were ready for more in my old RTW roamer.

Hope to learn a lot more by reading here as it's been a continuos inspiration for exploring.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• 20140731_123828.jpg
    20140731_123828.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 20140812_104818.jpg
    20140812_104818.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 20140812_165331.jpg
    20140812_165331.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 20140925_142315.jpg
    20140925_142315.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 20140925_142213.jpg
    20140925_142213.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 20140925_142304.jpg
    20140925_142304.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
That's very nice. The rear layout is similar to a Tiger - or perhaps I should say a Tiger is similar to your truck. :)

If it's traveled the world, it IS an "Expedition Camper".

One of those pictures had me very confused...until I started wondering why the stove was on the roof. :D

PoloTurbo

Observer
Hahaha I guess that pic is when they were in Australia. ;)
I don't know how it got flipped like that.

They back is like a tiger layout. The front is quite useful with the dînette.
Lajeunesse VR are a company that were building truck camper. They fitted the camper on the chassis. The weight is at the limit of the gvwr at 8400lbs. On a K2500 HD rated for 8600.
I have an airbag kit in the back and set at 80 pounds the handling is very stable to my surprise. It hold up 25 years so I guess that I can continue a few more with maintenance.

Need lots of small work but the engine is very good an the 5.7 tbi quite reliable and eats lots of fuel.

The whole camper is quite ugly say compare that my minty sportsmobile I sold but functionnality and space was so much better. :)

Attachments

• asset.jpeg
    asset.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,438
  • asset-2.jpeg
    asset-2.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,433
  • asset-3.jpeg
    asset-3.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,435

PoloTurbo

Observer
Thanks Capt Eddie. Your rig is awesome.

I'm looking right now for good offroad options.
I don't really know if my setup could be good offroad. I tried with a very steep mountain and broke the front driveshaft. (Never use in 20 years)

I will change the front driveshaft but wondering what kind of offroad could be made with my setup.

Still searching for a better layout but impossible to find.

Petrolburner

Explorer
That looks like an awesome platform with a cool history! Probably not going to ever be much of an "off roader" but you can drive in the snow and soft stuff without getting stuck as easily. Something that heavy would not be fun to try and rescue!

java

Expedition Leader
Very cool! My RV was converted to 4x4, they will go more places than you might think! Turning around on the small roads becomes interesting sometimes.... And the rear overhang gets old, but yours looks shorter than mine.

PoloTurbo

Observer
Really like your Skibum rig. Must be awesome. I'll try it maybe in the white stuff for snowboarding eventually it is completely insulated and quite warm. Is is 23 ft long.

Yes I got stuck 2 times at Pismo beach with my sportsmobile.
I bought this one to try more beaches like last year in Cape Hatteras and Assateague. Looking to be good also in the snow and to "help" to get unstuck if I need it in forest roads, blm, grass with water etc.

I tried to climb some steep stuff I wouldn't even dare in my sportsmobile 2wd and it was very surprising in 4lo. The wife was very angry. :)

The original idea was to buy it, try it for space and buy something newer 4x4 diesel like a tiger or a Scotty or similar.
The problem is that it is almost impossible to import one used and they are quite expensive.
I even talk to the owner of Lajeunesse VR to build this exact same layout as my wife loves the back couch, a real dinette very practical with a baby, a permanent bed and a passtrough not even negotiable and they dont do custom on a class c anymore.

For my use I think I'll try it again this year to test more and see what we like and dont like.

Last edited:

Aquathlete13

Observer
Nice! It's too bad that it is so far away. I am interested! I have been searching everywhere for an option for my family. 2 kids, 1 dogs, and my husband and I. We are backpackers, but with two kids under 5 it's been hotels mostly as we travel. Or car camp.

PoloTurbo

Observer
Only a flight and cool adventure away. :)

I will put a real sale ad soon.

Private would be good as I'm not always logged.

Regards

Safari997

Hello Polo,

It's Safari997 from St-Jérôme. Maybe if we try again an again to ask them, maybe they will finish to do it!!!!!!

I will try to see them and i will give you answer soon!

I already had 2 Safari-condo (16 feets et LC20) ans i contact them to ask them if they have that kind of project.

They won't go in the C world, they have a lot of command in the B Class and the Alto. They export the Alto to USA and Australia!

Let's keep working to find out who will make that change because i don't have the skills and the time to do by my own!!!!

I already ask Northern lite and they don't offer the pass trough option.

Please share if some one know who can make that modification!

safari997.blogspot

PoloTurbo

Observer
Hi Safari.

Will try to talk to you soon. Don't have too much time.
Already talk to Lajeunesse VR on the 158 and they won't redo it.
Might as well look into the amazing project healeyjet is doing. And its a Canadian dealer.

Will send you a private.

Merci

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier