FJ Narrow Tires 16 vs 17

Strider

Observer
Anyone know what narrow tires equivalent to 33x9.50 are available for the FJ? I like the tall narrow tires. My first choice would be BF Goodrich AT.
The current size adds up to about a 31.5" tire, so 33s should not be a problem with gearing-or would they?
I am installing the OME lift.

I currently have 17" wheels but they are the fancier ones. I prefer simple steel ones. So is there any advantages/disadvantages to 16 vs 17" wheels?

If this has already been answered elsewhere please point me there-I did not find it in search.

Thank you

skates04

Adventurer
255/85/16 will give you what you are looking for... I apologize I can't remember the 17 inch equivalent. However if you google tire size calculator you can convert from the easy to understand inches to metric size.

Lucas

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I can't speak specifically for bft a/ts, but as mentioned a 255/85/16 or 255/80/17 is roughly 33x10. Someone use to make a standard 33x9.50 but it was for 15" wheels.

The obvious difference between a 16 and 17" wheel with the same diameter tire is sidewall height. Taller sidewall generally will provide more dampening on rough terrain, particular when aired down. On a 17" wheel you may find more stability with a lower aspect ratio.

Usually (not always the case though) a 16" tire is less expensive than 17" as well. Steel wheels are much heavier but usually considered more durable. Beat them up and you could bend a bead, but less likely to crack and break than aluminum. The extra rolling weight of the steel wheel will reduce acceleration/braking performance and mpg, all else being equal.

Gearing and performance is subjective. I don't like stepping up in tire size much without re-gearing the axles. A lot of people don't mind or think anything about it. You will definitely feel a difference though.

Expedition Leader
With the power of the 1GR-FE, you will be fine with stock diff gears and any tires up to 33". Taller than 33", you will want to re-gear.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I run 255 80 17 BFG KM2s on my FJ. Your biggest limitation will be availability in that size. There are only a couple of manufacturers that produce "pizza cutters" in a size for the FJ. If you go with those tires you will not need to perform a body mount chop. Any wider and you will need to cut back the body mount if you are going off road. I believe recently BFG discontinued the 255 85 16 but introduced a couple of sizes comparable to it in their new KO2 tires. Performance has been awesome for me with the KM2s on the FJ both on and off road. There are plenty of threads on http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/ that can help you with tire size choices.

zscott

Adventurer
BFG KO2's are supposed to have a 34 x 10.5 x 17 soon. Specs list it as more like a 33.5" tall tire so I would be interested to see how stock gears do with it and how real life dimensions compare with specs.

nater

Adventurer
Bfg 34's... Ill let you know March 1st, I'll be at the tie store to order them the day they are released.

Strider

Observer
Interesting.
Debating whether to keep the 17" wheels or swapping to 16s. I may swap them anyway as I don't like the factory ones: too fancy. I want to get the simple steel wheels. I love that look!
Going to check on those "34"s from BFG in March. Don't really want to rehear though so we'll see.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
If you are going steel you'll probably end up with 17" on the Toyota FJ. 16" won't have the backspacing or clearance for the brakes. Also there are more tires available for the 17". I have the 17" steel wheels and they are great. Only downside is rolling mass and the effect on mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior