Leaf Suspension Tech - Planning for my 04' Tundra

jsnow

Adventurer
What shocks are you running on the back? Something doesn't seem right, I loosened up the rear shackle bolts and gained 3-4" of droop. It lays flat. Here is a pic of when I was checking clearances.

image.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
DSC_0872.jpg

I did not photograph my Tundra at full droop but should have. The shackle angle isn't anywhere even close to this at droop, and the shocks were disconnected, so I know that wasn't my limiting factor. I don't understand how the 2nd Gen inverted shackles will rotate this much? Maybe my Tundra shackles are binding?

That is not a stock taco shackle or it's a modify one. I have replaced rear shocks on tacos and when I remove the shocks. The rear end doesnt droop any more

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I think his 35's makes it appear a little deceiving. I have a single AAL and Hellwig helper springs, so I know I'm already limiting my flex, but we appear to have about the same.

offroad.PNG

Custom springs are in my future, however I tow trailers and load down the bed quite a bit. To get the best of both worlds I think I'm going to have to go with a "flexy" spring and bags + cradles.

rickashay

Explorer
What shocks are you running on the back? Something doesn't seem right, I loosened up the rear shackle bolts and gained 3-4" of droop. It lays flat. Here is a pic of when I was checking clearances.

My shocks are limiting my droop. But not by much (~1.5"). I'd like to see your shackle angle at the above photo... if it's laying flat, I've got something going on wrong with mine.

That is not a stock taco shackle or it's a modify one. I have replaced rear shocks on tacos and when I remove the shocks. The rear end doesnt droop any more

True, but its the only pic I could find at the time. I'll search for a better pic of the Pelfreybilt setup using the factory shackle and hanger... it flexes like crazy.

I think his 35's makes it appear a little deceiving. I have a single AAL and Hellwig helper springs, so I know I'm already limiting my flex, but we appear to have about the same.

Custom springs are in my future, however I tow trailers and load down the bed quite a bit. To get the best of both worlds I think I'm going to have to go with a "flexy" spring and bags + cradles.

I think your seeing about the same as myself. Maybe my expectations are high coming from my LX450 and 4Runner but I want to be able to hang my 35's below the rocker panels and I think it's doable.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
True, but its the only pic I could find at the time. I'll search for a better pic of the Pelfreybilt setup using the factory shackle and hanger... it flexes like crazy.

one or two things/ maybe both on the taco got me thinking again. either the shackle starting point is much more forward with weight on it compared to how they are from the factory which is upright and towards the rear. In order for the shackle to move forward that much from stock location would mean the front leaf end needs to move forward, since it is bolted to a fixed location, the spring as to be able to flex down in order to pull the shackle forward like in picture. since we do have stock leafs able to handle loads, has to be some what stiff. the taco in picture i bet has a very soft spring rate, allow it to actually bow as much as it does in which will force the shackle to move that much more

so our problem is the stock leaf are just to stiff to bow enough so it can droop more in turn make the shackle move as forward anymore

seanpistol

Explorer
If that's the case, shouldn't you be able to remove the leaf and check range of motion of the shackle by moving it by hand?

Interested to see jsnow's photo

toyotech

Expedition Leader
If that's the case, shouldn't you be able to remove the leaf and check range of motion of the shackle by moving it by hand?

Depends if the rear rubber bushing is design similar to the front UCA The front UCA bushing limits movement.

Even if the rear bushing isn't limiting movement. You still can't change the fact the stock leaf spring would bow/droop more unless they are softer. I might try to remove my 1inch block and do a similar mod I did on my runner which still has the stock leaf. I just installed a pair of coils from the rear of the 3rd gen runner which are 16inches long. I bet they force my stock leafs to droop more. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423519289.791743.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
one or two things/ maybe both on the taco got me thinking again. either the shackle starting point is much more forward with weight on it compared to how they are from the factory which is upright and towards the rear. In order for the shackle to move forward that much from stock location would mean the front leaf end needs to move forward, since it is bolted to a fixed location, the spring as to be able to flex down in order to pull the shackle forward like in picture. since we do have stock leafs able to handle loads, has to be some what stiff. the taco in picture i bet has a very soft spring rate, allow it to actually bow as much as it does in which will force the shackle to move that much more

so our problem is the stock leaf are just to stiff to bow enough so it can droop more in turn make the shackle move as forward anymore

I definitely see your argument. Damn I wish we had more suspension gurus over here. Might have to post this on TW and see the flames, er feedback I get. haha

That's not a bad idea. Pulling the leaf and testing motion range free of the leaf pack would certainly pin point if the shackle is the cause or the leaf pack. This weekend is a long weekend too. Hmmm....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles