Rover Warrior.... LR3 Build engagement pics

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
I got bored today, since it was the 3rd straight day of rain, and made a mount for my treds. This is all a little rough and if I keep it I will paint it. I left the mounts on the back long so that if I happen to pack a case by the mount the rounded bolt heads won't cause too much damage. I have wing nuts holding it now until I think up something better. Think I have $7 dollars in this.

Attachments

• DSC_0131.jpg
    DSC_0131.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0135.jpg
    DSC_0135.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 82

srschick

Adventurer
nice!

I'm still waiting on a couple of items that were ordered before you started this thread. :rolleyes:

Then I'll be caught up, mostly...

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
they are around the Ococee.

Prior to the trip I installed a tactical rovers rear bumper. Why did I choose this bumper?
From the extensive research I did there were only a few choices. Voyager racks offers a swing out tire carrier that uses the factory plastic bumper. I personally didn't like this option because I wanted actual rear protection vs just the spare tire. Kaymar makes an amazing bumper with dual swing outs for a reasonable price. After contacting them and their importer and the states side shipping company it was going to be almost $3500 for the rear bumper. After almost giving up I found a very old thread on here where tactical rovers was mentioned. Doing a little facebook stalking I was able to get a phone number and called the owner Eric. First off, amazing customer service. Eric was prompt in returning my call and discussing ideas for a dual swing out bumper. I explained about my shake down run was only a few months away and Eric assured me the bumper would be done in plenty of time....... ORDER PLACED!

While waiting on the bumper I finished a few other things

JUST LOST HALF THS POST!!! STUPID AUTO LOGOUT

I installed quick release limb risers and got bored and plasti dipped my light covers.......I was bored..... don't judge!

When the bumper arrived I was fuming mad. the driver fender edge was all chewed up and looked like the UPS driver had dumped the bumper out the back of the truck. I had to take an angle grinder to smooth down the edges. Eric was just as mad as I was. After an hour the bumper was on

Eric is still working on the second swingout. Once I finish my trip report I will link it here with a few gear reports

Last edited:

jerdog53

Explorer
I am truly liking what I see here on your back end!! If you don't mind saying here what is the cost of the rear bumper?

LR2

Any tips on installing that ARB bumper?
Any tricks not described in the instructions?
The truck looks spectacular.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
awesome truck! I'm really torn on owning a Land Rover vs a Land Cruiser. Such a nice ride.

Cheers

Butch

zelatore

Explorer
awesome truck! I'm really torn on owning a Land Rover vs a Land Cruiser. Such a nice ride.

Cheers

Butch

Butch,
I replied on your other thread, but if you're torn between the two I think I can answer it for you pretty easily. The Rover has infinitely more personality and character but even I have to admit the Cruiser will probably give you fewer headaches. If you like cars and driving get the rover. If you like camping/etc and the vehicle is just a means to and end (driving appliance) get the Cruiser.
Sort of like would you choose the BMW or the Camry? Both are mid-sized sedans, but one is for an enthusiast and the other is for people who only have a car because they have to get from A to B.
Me, I used to own and race Alfa Romeos, so you know I'm sort of wacky anyway. :)

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
Thanks for the reply! The instructions are straight forward.... there are just a 1000 steps it seems. For the rear bumper I want to say the price was right around $1500 shipped. I will double check on that when I get home. Currently at the sand rover rally in FL.

As for reliability, I had an Fj before this with what seemed like an endless list of recalls. I have close to 100k on the clock and am still planning many more 1000 mile trips. Like many have said, the air suspension is amazing but it can have issues.

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
Since some cats decided to have a massive street brawl right side my window I can't fall back asleep now. Well in just over a week I have put almost 2100 miles on rover between two trips here are some pictures

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1428819168816.jpg
    FB_IMG_1428819168816.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 67
  • FB_IMG_1428819007067.jpg
    FB_IMG_1428819007067.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 74
  • FB_IMG_1428819126177.jpg
    FB_IMG_1428819126177.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 75
  • FB_IMG_1428818958958.jpg
    FB_IMG_1428818958958.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 69
  • FB_IMG_1428818988398.jpg
    FB_IMG_1428818988398.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 76
  • FB_IMG_1428819135853.jpg
    FB_IMG_1428819135853.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 77
  • FB_IMG_1428819726947.jpg
    FB_IMG_1428819726947.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 73
  • FB_IMG_1428819796809.jpg
    FB_IMG_1428819796809.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 72
  • FB_IMG_1428819913280.jpg
    FB_IMG_1428819913280.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
Well boys we have a minor issue!!

I walked outside and found a small puddle of transmission fluid on the ground.
A quick look and my Mechatronics Guide Sleeve is leaking. Being that I am at the 100k mark I had planned on doing a fluid and filter change anyway.

This is where things get interesting!! I did a bit of research and found out about this magical unicorn metal pan conversion kit.
After a little bit more research found this wonderful ladies contact!

Caren Hunt
Rockland Standard Gear
http://www.rsgear.com/
1(800) 227-1523 ext #101
hunt98@optonline.net

The pan was $336 shipped and there was even one states side! While im under the beast I am going to change the fluid in everything. The reason I went with the metal pan was because you can change the filter without having to remove half the exhaust and jacking the motor up

Attachments

• normal_ZF_Transmission_Plastic_Oil_Pan_43.jpg
    normal_ZF_Transmission_Plastic_Oil_Pan_43.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

srschick

Adventurer
I think with that replacement, you don't have to lift up the truck to do the replacement. the reason you need to do all that work is to get that tube out/in. With the metal pan replacement, you can just drop the pan and cut off the tube on the factory plastic pan.

of course, I may be wrong about that...

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
im pretty sure you are right! I will take pics and do a write up. I plan on keeping this rig for a while. That being said, anything I can change to make maintaining it easier I will happily do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles