Windshield Frame Mount

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Would like to know if any Jeepers have experience with 2m antenna mounted to center of windshield lightbar?

I have studied the many other locations, but, the clanging and banging sound/s do not interest me. As for banging into tree limbs and such, not much of an issue anymore as I stay pretty much on roads the Government authorizes me to travel on.

I also reside in desert region.

Ground plane, i have read where an 18X18 inch round ground plane should be added for improved transmission and reception quality.

image.jpg

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
It should come as no surprise that a Jeep of that style is a relatively crap-tastic place to put an antenna for just about anything. I use to run a Larsen KG-270 off the windshield and call it good. Before I ran something atop the light bar I'd probably just go with a fender mount towards the front of the hood. The Jeep is one big compromise no matter what you do, and the extra bit of height you'll get from the light bar mount is going to be of questionable impact. Can't give you any direct experience on the mounting point you're asking about, but I figured I could at least shoot a response your way.

KB8YJD

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
My guess is that you'd get some counterpoise from the horizontal bar, but that's just a guess. I'd suggest checking the tuning before running any power into it, because my other guess is that it's gong to tune funny.

I'd probably want to put it in the back, maybe off the tire carrier. Betting that would be more out of the way than on the hood, and also a bit farther away from the drivers head.

Or maybe on the front right corner of the light bar? That way the down leg might help a little bit with front/rear coverage, as compared with just the horizontal frame you get in the middle.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Thanks guys, regarding the ground plane, if a guy fabricated an 18"X18" round copper or Metal to the lightbar itself, thus placing either a mag mount ant. Or permenant Larson right ********** in the middle?

Would that make for better transmision and reception?

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'm not sure an 18" square or circle would do much, I think it would have to approach a radius of ¼λ before it would start to have any real effect.

I'd try just the antenna right on the bar itself and see what you get. I suspect the bar alone will be enough counterpoise for a VHF antenna to match up since it's well over ½ wavelength long (maybe ground both ends of it to the windshield frame if it's attachment points don't already provide that). I've had antennas mounted to similar types of structures and they've generally worked fine.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I'd bet the bar by itself would be fine, too, except you might need to tweak the tuning a bit. I'm sure a plate would help, but I wouldn't do it on a truck just because it would look so weird.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Yes, i agree, in looking at it closer the idea would make better since welded to a regular roof rack. I believe the front left forward area of the jeep hood will make the best location.

Guess I better get with it then...

Thank you all for your suggestions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles