The Original EarthRoamer. New ER2K Owner With Some Show and Tell

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Hi all, I thought some of you might want to see what happened to the ER2K. I picked it up in Toronto last spring. Much of the summer has been spent reworking the interior. I'm in the process of making a blog to show the changes and document the rig in general. I'll try to update this page with a picture and link every time I update the blog. Enjoy, and thanks to all who post.
Tom.
er2koriginal.JPG

I am the new owner of the ER2K!! Thought process and first impressions.
IMG_3618.JPG

Time to start throwing Money at this Beast.
IMG_3663.JPG

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Congratulations, Tom, on purchasing the truck and showing us the work you've done to get it back in shape. I was, interestingly, one of the first people to see your rig, as I happened to be at Safari Vehicle Manufacturing in Richmond, BC talking about a Mog cabin at the same time as they were finishing up the ER2K cabin. I'm pleased to see it resurface in the hands of such a competent owner.

And thanks for going to all of the effort to document the rebuild in such an interesting and detailed manner on your blog. I know that it takes a lot of time to do the photography and writing involved, and I want you to know that it's appreciated.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Tom, thanks for alerting us to this.

I understand that you are concerned about the small size, but I can't help but think that it is handier than what ER have become.

Jim

Mattersnots

Adventurer
This will be an ongoing Thread showing updates on the blog.

Haven, Yep, don't worry. I'll bore you guys to tears talking about the chassis, platform, Camper, Dodge, etc. The blog is in it's infancy, I have much yet to post.

mhiscox, The competent owner part remains to be seen. I'll do my best though. I learned from my sportsmobile days how important it is to share the wealth of knowledge. It' s amazing what we can accomplish with the internet and help/sharing. Thanks.

Sleeping Dog, I agree. We get so spoiled with our "needs". Meeting Paul in Hood River, Or. Really put things in perspective. This is the largest I'd ever want to go. I can still get around, height being my main limitation.
tom.

Scott Brady

Founder
It is a nice truck. The thing I remember most was not being able to stand up in the back. Talk about a stiff neck.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Tom,

Very glad to see that you have adopted this one :D

Thank you very much for sharing the links and the photos.

Regarding the Hydronic heater, it is very easy to fit the muffler (which is an optional add on) and a number of folks have plumbed theirs so that they can use it to heat the engine only or heat the bath water only or heat both. You mentioned that the current set up is a bit complex, but perhaps with some thought, it might be possible to reconfigure it so that it is straightforward, useful, and reliable...

Just hoping you don't "throw the baby out with the bathwater" ;)

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Hi Tom,

Very glad to see that you have adopted this one :D

Thank you very much for sharing the links and the photos.

Regarding the Hydronic heater, it is very easy to fit the muffler (which is an optional add on) and a number of folks have plumbed theirs so that they can use it to heat the engine only or heat the bath water only or heat both. You mentioned that the current set up is a bit complex, but perhaps with some thought, it might be possible to reconfigure it so that it is straightforward, useful, and reliable...

Just hoping you don't "throw the baby out with the bathwater" ;)

No way I'm going to get rid of it Frank. No need to reinvent the wheel, it's there and works well. I also don't plan on changing anything except maybe adding a muffler. Until I researched last week for the post I didn't know there was a muffler. I won't change the plumbing either. Although I don't need the engine preheat option, I do love the fact that the engine heats my water for me. I'll keep the extra 30 feet of water line if it means hot water every time I stop. Overall I really like how the system works. I just doubt I'd spend that kind of money if I had to do it over again. The real beauty of this ER2K is that the basic platform is very strong. Bill did an excellent job and spared no expense. I'm so lucky to get a fixer upper of this caliber.
tom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles