RTT on 110 with 2" Lift

Ncrover725

Does anyone on here have a RTT on a 110 with a 2" lift? I am curious to the stablility with the weight on top and increase in ride height.

Attachments

• Trail Day.jpg
    Trail Day.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 15

n4585k

I've got a 90, no lift. But with quite a bit of stuff on my roof rack (Front Runner, like yours right?) it isn't too stable. I don't do a lot of hard off road stuff so it is not that critical, but still...

MarkIIa

Observer
Sure do!

30-05-11_001.jpg

Admittedly my RTT weighs around less than 20kg (40lb I think), so pretty light.
Never felt a problem with stability either. I do predominately rock driving, so plenty of lurching side to side and off-camber.
2" lift, 255/85R16 tyres. Wider offset rims give a slightly wider track, but only by around 20mm per side.

Generally, if you avoid weight up high, you're better off.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I have run both a 2 inch and 3 inch lift on my 110s, with a far amount on the roof rack (about 150 lbs on some trips).

The more weight up top the more careful you need to be, but overall I'd say it's not a huge safety problem if you drive sensibly.

I would recommend going for a heavy-ish spring set up. A light or progressive, but longer, spring will make you seasick when overlanding (but feel awesome on a technical trail) and a RTT will aggravate the issue.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ray

ExploringNH

Explorer
I had a RTT, a couple jerry cans, and a spare 33" tire on my roof with a 3" OME lift. VERY stable in all conditions. Far better than the stock suspension with no weight on the roof. I have been less than impressed with the OME lift in other makes and models of vehicles but the 110 lift was absolutely the best lift I have ever run for it's intended purpose. It wasn't as flexy as I would have liked off-road but on road handling was incredible for a lifted vehicle on 33" tires. The suspension setup will play a large roll in how top heavy you feel.

Normally I avoid any weight on the roof like the plague. I had a spare 33" tire on the roof of my 02 4Runner for about a week before I removed it. It was way too top heavy. Any weight up top on any vehicle, regardless of suspension setup will have a negative effect. It is just a question of how manageable it is and what your intended use of everything is. Sometimes it is worth the trade-off.

Honduras002.jpg

RauschCreek014.jpg

Our friend with a similar setup but on Land Rover HD springs was far more top heavy.

Colombia010.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94