Need ideas for protecting dogs from elements under RTT over open truck bed.

AL1

Observer
Hi guys, I thought the hive mind might be able to offer some ideas since I have been pretty stumped by this one. I am currently running an ARB Kakadu RTT on an adjustable Thule xsporter bed rack. I need to raise the tent to cab height in order to deploy it and the tent rainfly does a pretty decent job of covering the majority of the bed from rain.

The problem is that my two 100lb dogs sleep in the bed and the tent does not provide great protection from the elements. The dogs also love to lean over the side and bark at anything that moves. Does anyone have any ides how I could make them a little more protected from the elements while making them more comfortable?

As a last resort, I could possibly keep them inside the truck with the windows down and some mosquito netting over them. Keep in mind that they will prob ride in the truck while on road and its only a king cab so they won't have a ton of space.

Here a pic of my set up.
truck%20in%20lot%20rear-XL.jpg

Deployed.
image-XL.jpg

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
I have a local "canvas guy" that can make anything. He doesn't really use canvas anymore, the last project I had him make was with commercial truck tarp, very heavy duty. Anyway find your local "canvas guy", take him your truck and tell him you'd like a removable cover that attaches to the bottom of the RTT and encloses the bed. He'll probably give you some good ideas.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Craigs list crate get the plastic style. This also secures your dog from running off to play with a bear or Mountain Lion at 2am.

AL1

Observer
I have a local "canvas guy" that can make anything. He doesn't really use canvas anymore, the last project I had him make was with commercial truck tarp, very heavy duty. Anyway find your local "canvas guy", take him your truck and tell him you'd like a removable cover that attaches to the bottom of the RTT and encloses the bed. He'll probably give you some good ideas.

That is a great idea! There are a couple of marinas by the lake, im sure I could find someone to do the work. Thanks!

AL1

Observer
I thought about that, but because of the rack, getting the rain run off out of the truck bed would be an issue.

AL1

Observer
Craigs list crate get the plastic style. This also secures your dog from running off to play with a bear or Mountain Lion at 2am.
The dogs make me lift them in and out of the bed, so im not too concerned with them jumping over the side. Also, there isnt a whole lot of room in the bed once we get packed and the dogs are in the cab.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I know it's not what you want, but a shell.
Lock gear in bed with dogs in cab, gear in cab and dogs safe in bed while driving and camping.

Makes your life easier and more likely to go out.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier