Quick review of Le Pan mini tablet

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
ha ha, don't talk about the 256gb card. As soon as I got it, they sent a 256KB card, and changed the listing on it. I got suckered in that. I will find a real one and order. All purchases are on hold right now, as the family florida trip has been pushed from August to April.....YEAH!

Ballbearing

Observer
I received my mini 8 a few days ago and have been playing with it. Im actually typing this reply on it. I'm completely new to the android system having used apple for several years. With that said, I tried a friends 64GB card and it would not read. I then used a 32GB and it mounted properly.
My issue now is that I can't transfer any apps to the card. I have Azenza PDF loaded and my main concern is running out of space on the internal 8GB when multiple maps are loaded. Maybe I need to use another program?
Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I've searched the net and only found that it couldn't be done, which doesn't sound correct.
Any advice is appreciated.

Ballbearing

Observer
Ok. Thanks. Looks like I need to check out backcountry nav or perhaps Gaia? I'm pleased with the tablet so far. It seems to be a great deal and I'm glad I checked out your post so that I was aware of the Le Pan. Otherwise, I might have spent hundreds more.

kojackJKU

Backcountry Nav allows it. That's what I am using. and there is another one call mytrails. That one is mentioned in another post here. We are going to florida this month, So I am waiting until I get back to buy that app. From the trial of it though, I like it. Download the sat imagery for mapping as well. They only allow download of 100 tiles in the free version. I am going to try the full version to see how it works with my setup.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I've searched the net and only found that it couldn't be done, which doesn't sound correct.
Any advice is appreciated.

Oh, it can be done, but if the company who made the device doesn't support doing it, you'll probably have to root the OS and do a bit of hacking to make it work. For a new device, if you can't hack it yourself, you'll probably have to wait until someone else develops and releases a root kit - which will no doubt eventually happen.

kojackJKU

mytrails looks promising since you can get the google sat imagry downloaded. I cannot wait to get the full version on my tablet so I can get them downloaded for the island. Our topos are older so the sat imagry fills in the gaps etc.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Also, on the original post, a built in GPS is mentioned. Later, the OP mentions purchasing an external GPS. Is an external necessary?

Ballbearing

Observer
Mine has an internal GPS and is the same model as the OP. I don't have any long term use with it to evaluate, however, it seemed fairly accurate in the 45 minutes I used it within the cab of the truck.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Ballbearing,

What app are you using (going to use) for Navigation? It seems Motion X is iOS only, so I was looking at Gaia.

kojackJKU

Gaia is fairly expensive compared to BCN and a few others. I found BCN is good, and there is another one that I have been tryng but I have to pay for the real version to download the mapping for my area, plus Sat imagry. When I get back from Florida, I will get it up and running and take it for a test run up in the bush. I will report back. The Tablet itself is awesome tho. It works great.

Ballbearing

Observer
On this tablet I use Gaia. I used MotionX on my iPhone and was very pleased. Gaia has taken me a long time to get the hang of (not that I really have yet) and I'm still trying to learn. I was really hesitant to pay $20, but some of the reviews persuaded me. I don't have any other experience on Android so take that into consideration. I wouldn't mind trying a few others as KojackJKU has done, but I'm not that ambitious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles