Quick review of Le Pan mini tablet

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I received my lepan mini 8 inch tablet yesterday and have been playing with it for a bit. It is very quick, light, has a built in GPS, compass and is built quite well. Best part I paid 127.00 tax and shipping included. Worth every penny to be the nav tablet for the rigs.

kojackJKU

I will put a better review up after I get it mounted and a full test done. I have to say. for the money its a smoking little tablet. only problem is storage size, but that is somewhat taken care of with SD cards.

kojackJKU

Crush jeep. Worth every penny actually. I have been playing with it a bit and its very speedy, lightweight, small in form factor, and has compass and GPS chip built in. The screen is very very bright. Even on the lowest setting for brightness it is brighter than my son's ipad mini at about the mid way point. Which is great as a nav tool for seeing the screen. I am hoping to get my Dash mount clamp this week in the mail so I can get a full nav test using both the internal GPS module and my BT GPS module. At that point I can get a good sense of how accurate the internal one is compared to the external unit.

The storage is not a huge deal either as all mapping software I have used you can easily store on SD card. I am ordering a few new ones now. 128GB Micro Sd cards for my various tablets to get some serious storage space.

kojackJKU

Been using it more and I'm overly impressed with this little tablet. It is faster, has a brighter screen and better battery life than the first gen ipad mini my son has. All for less than half the money. I have to try the 256gb micro SD card in it to see if it recognizes the card. I hope so. And I think I can install apps to the SD as well with 4.2.2. As for the screen, it does not have the resolution of the iPad, but its brighter which is better for nav, toss in the included GPS sensor, and you have a serious tablet for no money. I am still waiting on my mount. Crossing my fingers it will be here this week.

libarata

Expedition Leader
What mount and BT GPS are you using? I was an idiot with my iPad purchase/reading and failed to see that the WiFi ones did not have GPS(should have known with full metal backing). Really, for Nav duty, who need HD resolution. It is not like you are navigating at the meter level solely with the tablet. Plus, maps are only so detailed.

kojackJKU

I am using a rugged ridge JK dash mount with a 8 dollar tablet mount from ebay. The GPS module is a cheap one from ebay with tracking. Worked on 2 other tablets, so this one should be no different. I am using a combination of apps, backcountry nav, Canada TOPO and GPS co pilot. Also, I use torque pro, with a ebay Bluetooth OBD dongle.

kojackJKU

OK, Had the tablet out the other day in the rig. Mounted on my dash and running. It connects to everything perfectly, and runs great. I have a couple of issues with my setup. One, the compass reads correct when tablet is flat, not up on the mount. and I cannot get Canada topo to track up instead of having north up. The second one is a software related.

It is a great tablet worth every penny. I have been using all of my tablets lately. I just got my vivotabs unlocked and up and running on my phone plan to have access everywhere.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Does the app you are using the compass with have some kind of a calibration setting? What software is it that you are using?

kojackJKU

Canada topo. I have not looked at the calibration yet. I am still trying to find the track up function.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior