Which vehicle to buy?

superbuickguy

Explorer
Some Toyotas are domestic now... :D

as much as MOPARs are Fiats (and I do get a great deal of joy reminding the mopar faithful of that)... plus, Toyotas are great, once you replace the axles with something from Dana, the motor with something from GM, the transmission from GM or New Venture, the transfer case from Jeep, advance adapters, or New Process Gear.... then they're awesome... before, they're simply white rice... I do admire Toyota's moxy, though, they take old, American technology, repackage it then sell that old stuff as "reliable." When the truth is they're no more pr less reliable than any other car out there.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
as much as MOPARs are Fiats (and I do get a great deal of joy reminding the mopar faithful of that)... plus, Toyotas are great, once you replace the axles with something from Dana, the motor with something from GM, the transmission from GM or New Venture, the transfer case from Jeep, advance adapters, or New Process Gear.... then they're awesome... before, they're simply white rice... I do admire Toyota's moxy, though, they take old, American technology, repackage it then sell that old stuff as "reliable." When the truth is they're no more pr less reliable than any other car out there.

You're a complete tool aren't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
RE: the LR4

At $25K, you're only going to find a beater LR4. Anything you'd want to actually own will start at $30K in my area and go to $50K pretty quickly. You are well into an LR3 at $20-25K with money left over for mods. I'd roughly target $15K for a decent LR3 these days.

Are the reliable? In a word, yes. But they are higher maintenance than a typical domestic or Japanese truck. If you're buying one used it's all about finding one with a good history and paperwork to document it. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend one to the sort of person who's shopping between brands as they are more work to own and modify so it's better if there's an emotional attachment. If you think you'd be happy driving a Toyota OR a Land Rover, you might as well buy the Toyota. If you care about what you're driving and want the Rover, I'd encourage you to look into it further over on the Rover side of the forum. Asking people on the domestic full-size portion of the forum what they think about Rovers is likely to generate the same response as asking a Nazi what he thinks about Jews...

peneumbra

Explorer
@M. Adrenaline: What you really need is one of those dual-engine Citroen 2CV things. Drive through Montreal or, even better, Quebec City, in one of those and whole crowds of people will wave and cheer.

Or simply save yourself the heartbreak and hassle and send the $25K to me. Then you can stay home in comfort and watch adventure programs while I take all the risks. Tres bien, eh?

Small, unmarked bills with non-consecutive serial numbers, if it's not too much trouble...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior