Which vehicle to buy?

Adenylcyclase

Hi all Overlanders,

I’m the proud owner of a Toyota Highlander 2010. I cannot believe how comfortable this truck is and how well it drives, it’s only too sad that it’s not a real 4X4 in witch I could do some real overlanding with. So, since I’m a 6’6’’ tall guy, I’m thinking I should look for a full size platform to adapt for overlanding. I would like to have your opinion on witch truck I should buy.

I would like to buy it used for around 20000/25000$ max. I was considering between: Nissan Titan extra cab, Nissan Armada, Dodge Ram 1500 extra cab, Toyota Tundra TRD extra cab and Land Rover LR4. I would like to install front bumper with winch, skid plates, lift kits with HD suspension, diff lockers if necessary and extra battery for all the electric equipment. Reliability is important.

Thanks for your input.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I would stay away from the Armada. they get about the same MPG as an 80 series. Resale is very poor. Take a look at the tundra. I have three toyotas and the only one that has let me down is from 95. Still runs but it is an around the town truck for sure.
Good Luck.

FLoffroad1

Observer
A Tacoma might work too if you got a long bed version (only available for double cab I think, unfortunately, then you'd have to deal with the longer wheelbase and overall length. Still not terrible though compared to fullsizes).

Also, I love Rovers, but I'd say stay away from LR4s given the $20-25k budget.

I dunno much about the other options, but I know Tacoma people sometimes upgrade to parts off of Tundras, so that's a good sign.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Have to decide if you want a truck or an SUV. For me trucks are more versatile...but I own both a truck and a SUV.

Tundra or Sequoia....Ford F150-350's, Expeditions, GM Silverados, Tahoes...

Anything is good anymore.

Would walk...no make that run from LR's though. :D

Last edited:

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Out of what you listed I would strongly lean towards the Tundra (high build and ride quality). The Nissan's do not have the best resale value, but my dad has a Titan since 05, and I do like that truck. If I was personally in the market for a vehicle that meets your criteria I would look at the Tundra, Chevy/gmc 1500 (gotta love the 5.3l vortec/4L60e tranny, and good resale value), and I would also consider a 1999-2003 7.3l F250 (non dually). You could find a 7.3 in great condition in your price range, and have an incredible amount of interior room. You would also be getting pretty dang good fuel mileage!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
A Tacoma might work too if you got a long bed version (only available for double cab I think, unfortunately, then you'd have to deal with the longer wheelbase and overall length. Still not terrible though compared to fullsizes).
The long bed is 6' and is the same bed on the Double Cab Long Bed and Access Cab. The wheel base is longer on the Double Cab. The only bed that is different is the 5' bed on the Double Cab Short Bed, which has the same 127" wheelbase as the Access Cab. Toyota years ago used to offer an actual long bed that was a bit more than 7' long but that was last offered I think in 1992. If the intention is to sleep in the bed a full size is probably the only option, although a 6'6" fella could fit corner-to-corner.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hi all Overlanders,

I’m the proud owner of a Toyota Highlander 2010. I cannot believe how comfortable this truck is and how well it drives, it’s only too sad that it’s not a real 4X4 in witch I could do some real overlanding with. So, since I’m a 6’6’’ tall guy, I’m thinking I should look for a full size platform to adapt for overlanding. I would like to have your opinion on witch truck I should buy.

I would like to buy it used for around 20000/25000$ max. I was considering between: Nissan Titan extra cab, Nissan Armada, Dodge Ram 1500 extra cab, Toyota Tundra TRD extra cab and Land Rover LR4. I would like to install front bumper with winch, skid plates, lift kits with HD suspension, diff lockers if necessary and extra battery for all the electric equipment. Reliability is important.

Thanks for your input.

First step do you need an SUV for better seating space 4+ people when not doing expedition trips? Which case no need for nice rear seating then the trucks are a better option. If you like the Highlander and don't need a truck the Sequoia is basically the rugged truck version of the Highlander. The Highlander is a Sienna Mini Van with a SUV body on it thats why the AWD system is not a 4x4 system. The Sequoia and the Tundra are shared platform machines. The negative for the Sequoia which I own is that the rear end is not an easy size to upgrade to a locking rear end. All the Trucks you can get with locking rear ends or easily add them later. Yes locking rear differentials are very nice especially on rocky off camber trail sections.

Bojak

Adventurer
I like old stuff and have driven too many dogged out Ford trucks to give an unbiased opinion on which one is better or worse(FORD) but I do feel like modern full size crew cab trucks are the vehicles that offers it all. Ride quality, cab room, amenities (Bluetooth/ navigation / air conditioned leather seats), towing, cargo handling, chicks dig trucks, grandma's dig trucks, kids dig trucks, supermodels dig trucks, and add a dog to go with a truck and your almost rolling with loaded dice. Once you own 1 it will be all you ever even consider owning, at least probably.

Adenylcyclase

I do not need to sleep in it. I would go for a trent on top of the truck. I just want reliability and comfort. The Sierra/Silverado are incredibly comfortable for me behind the wheel. BUT, are the GM/Dodge reliable compared to the Nissans and Toyotas? Let say between 2008-2010 year range.

straps57

Observer
I do not need to sleep in it. I would go for a trent on top of the truck. I just want reliability and comfort. The Sierra/Silverado are incredibly comfortable for me behind the wheel. BUT, are the GM/Dodge reliable compared to the Nissans and Toyotas? Let say between 2008-2010 year range.

Yes

calicamper

Expedition Leader
LR 3 and 4 are really cool machines but narrow and short. Smaller than the Landcruiser which I had before the Sequioa. Good trail machines but small. The sierra is a good truck and 1000's built meaning you can find a cream puff used one easier than a nissan product.
Used cars I've by chance become pretty damn good finding great options. My rules are #1 private sale only. #2 vin dealer call to talk service records and odometer check. Cars lux high end low miles single owner. Last april I picked up grandpas dream ride. Craigs list SLK 350 2005 no joke 13,000 miles documented! Still smells new! $23k Thats a $62,000 car to the original owner! Great car... My dad I found a cherry G35X cherry wood kit single owner mint condition 40k 2008 for $21k. Both cars have been awesome. My 2007 Sequoia bought used in 2012 64,000 miles single owner all records $23k. Great truck! Take your time be picky and be ready to jump with cash in hand at a drop of a hat.

The SLK was a luck find. 1000 mile drive home seller was very nice. I by chance had a Mercedes nut friend in the area $200 he did a very detailed inspection even had vac system gear on hand to check. Got the call to book a ticket. Flew up two days later. 1000 mile cannon ball run home in 2.5 days. Who knew a SLK has a almost full size spair a 18gal tank and can do 30mpg at 80mph!!! Cool car! No dirt I make the SLK work for overlanding;-)

Use Searchquest set your mileage range and track craigs list content. Talk to the seller if the seller id at all wishywashy move on to other listings. Every decent seller on the phone has been nice fair deal both sides etc. If your OK the seller is OK. Their risk is greater than yours when selling. Be nice be strait up and most sellers are good folks glad to find a strait up buyer.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
I love it when people are buying used trucks and are willing to pay thousands more for a truck they believe will be "more reliable" than a truck they fear will be "less reliable".... even if it's the nameplate that makes it reliable/not-reliable (which is BS, as it's a used truck and the owner/care will be the largest variable) the relative reliability of one brand to the next is pretty small. EVEN if your fears rang true and you lunched something huge, like a transmission, what does that really cost? Two thousand? Three thousand? But you're willing to pay $5000 up front to hedge the bet you won't have a $2-3K repair??? Crazy.

Just buy what you like. If you like a Ford, buy a Ford. Prefer the way a Toyota feels inside? Buy that. Like a GM truck for its power or lower price? Buy that. They are *ALL* pretty darned good in both reliability, dependability, and capability.

Now, that's when it comes to full size pickups and SUVs. Thinking of a Land Rover? Forget everything I said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier