Waterproofing Dralon? Autohome Airtop

800days

Observer
Hi Guys

We have an Autohome Airtop which we purchased in Dec 2011. The tent is amazing, but has been used for 350+ nights in all weather conditions from the top of mountains to the middle of deserts. We've recently noticed that in heavy rain water is starting to soak into the tent fabric and can be felt on the inside. After looking on the UK site and emailing them, they can only offer to change the fabric (at our expense). This option is pretty difficult as were currently half way around the world.

We're after some advice on what products we can use to re-waterproof the tent.

From what I can gather the fabric is Dralon which I believe is acrylic based, what products can I use on this? Will cotton based waterproofers like Nikwax Cotton Proof work on it?

Any help is greatly appreciated as we don't want to ruin the tent.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Very common condition, yes Dralon is a polyester acrylic so it needs to have a "DWR", durable water repellant, finish to repel water. If you look at the fabric in the light you will see thousands of tiny pinholes, air can come through but the water drops are stripped out. You want to keep the air flow so you don't want to use a product that waterproofs. With time, the DWR finish will degrade from the elements and have to be renewed.

Here is what I found works best. In the states we have 303 Products that I feel is the most compatible with Dralon. First use their cleaner to get the residual dirt off so their Fabric Guard will adhere best. After cleaning and letting the fabric dry, spray their Fabric Guard in light coats in a hot day in the sun so it bonds to the fabric well. It does't seem to work quite as well if you soak the fabric. It will perform like new and also the finish repels dirt so it last a very long time. You can use other products like Nik-Wax for tents and 3M Scotchguard but I understand these finishes attract dirt, and the dirt attracts moisture.

You should be able to find 303 Products Fabric Guard locally, I found it at an upholstery shop in the Netherlands so I know they distribute it internationally.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
The guys at 303 Products recommended the "High Tech" Fabric Guard. It is expensive stuff so you want to use it wisely. Here is what I do.

First, make sure the fabric is clean, very clean. 303 has a cleaner but I would think you could use anything that doesn't leave a residue will be fine. If you have any mold on the fabric, mix in a little bleach, but be careful to dilute it first. Once clean, wait for it to dry then "mist" the Fabric Guard on the fabric and leave it out in the sun. This will lock it in, it likes heat. Then I usually repeat the misting and letting it rest in the sun. This is better than soaking the fabric, you are just trying to renew the DWR finish which is on the surface. It doesn't bring back all the water repellency of new fabric but it seems to work well for a few years then you have to renew it again. Probably last a very long time on rooftent fabric, I use it on boat covers and it works quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94