2002 Tahoe "Expedition" build

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Latest Update - Interior Console Mod

Once I decided to pursue my ham license, and thanks to a donor radio from a friend of mine, I was stuck with the " where to put it ". Since I already was using my center console for a CB that I didnt want to get rid of, and the fact that I have a sunroof that keeps me from doing any headliner installs, I started thinking of replacing the factory center console.

At the same time, I had been seeking a smart switch system like what ExpeditionXterra is using on his rig. However, the Touch Tek system was a bit too pricey for me, and I did find the Sho-Me system to be a good bit cheaper while providing the same function. So, now when I add some side, reverse, and work lights, I will have an easy to route to switch system.

THEN, I found a brand new ( but long discontinued ) Midland 79-290 CB/WX radio. The capabilities of this radio, especially its ability to be activated on ham frequencies, really sold me on switching out my old Cobra.

So, I got a used Troy police console off of eBay. I pulled out the factory center console, and then used some Jotto Desk trim plates to hold the radios and switch panel, and bolted the Troy console in place of the factory setup. Rock solid! After the install, I fabbed up some side panels to give it all a finished look, and painted it to match the interior trim. I also added a fabbed microphone bracket and a Federal Signal dimmable map light. And moved my Ram-mount for my PN-20GPS to a lower position.

So here are the pics of the end result:

IMG_4159.jpg

IMG_4158.jpg

I also used a Quick Fist Clamp to mount my "bailout" fire extinquisher in a perfect spot. If you can see the switches behind the handle, they are my master on/offs for my aux cig lighter outlet hidden behind the console as well as the supply for the Sho-Me switch box.

IMG_4168.jpg

I also stumbled across a solution to my swinging rear tire carrier. Again, I have to give credit to ExpeditionXterra for his idea of using a hitch pin. Only, I just hang my hitch pin on the end of my Hi-Lift and it grabs the inside of the bumper. Voila! swinging carrier problem solved!

IMG_4155.jpg

So, the project marches on. Thanks much to those that have given me so many great ideas here. A major front end update to be coming soon too....stay tuned!

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Converted ARB bumper

With many thanks to "Hoser" / Lee from the Toyotal Land Cruiser side of the Portal world, I was able to modify an ARB bumper originally made for a Series 100, and was able to get it to fit my Tahoe pretty well. Biggest mod I had to do was to lift the corner hoops, since the upper pipes were blocking my headlights almost completely.

Pretty pleased with the overall results, I have stuffed a MileMarker 9000E under it, and I have shackle mounts on order as well as synthetic winch line en route at this time. ARB Bumper Build thread here.

Again, thanks to Lee for providing the measurements that confirmed that this project was indeed possible.

ARBon09042008.jpg

Last edited:

ginericLC

Adventurer
That looks really good. And the nice thing about it is you won't run into another Tahoe with the same bumper!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice "command center" console, it looks perfect in there. The LC ARB looks great too, totally unique. I've seen pics of someone using an 80 series LC ARB on a truck like mine with some grinding and pounding. Just shows what can be done with a little effort and ingenuity.

Nice work - :beer:

toyrunner95

Explorer
You know i was reading the thread about your bumper mods. Its amazing that ARB doesnt look at the comsumer modifications or look at the wants of the customer. Like the push bars you mentioned. It doesnt look like there was much modification. the brackets would be made for a model, then attach the diff bumper styles.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Thanks....and a new mod

As ever, a sincere thanks for the compliments on my build. I agree about the comment on ARB, wondering why they don't cater a bit more to the customer. Without the members here on the Portal, I would not have gotten the information I needed to figure out wether or not my conversion was even possible. And I figure they could get even more customers if they offered some custom fab options instead of churning out cookie cutter copies. Oh well...

So, thanks again ALL.

In a previous post we discussed wether or not I could make the rear gas can holder capable to carry 2 cans instead of one. I had some ideas floating about and then saw the individual jerry can holders offered by Adventure Trailers. A lightbulb went off and I knew what I could do.

I ended up ordering two AT jerry can holders, cut off the base of the KMA jerry can holder, and then welded them in place. They fit perfectly and voila, I now can carry two cans in the same space as one. Thanks much to AT for making such a great, solid product.

Couple of pics....
176dc7d3.jpg
a34332d0.jpg

The can holders do come with lock bars that clamp across the can itself to prevent theft, but I figured I didn't need them for a day roaming the countryside taking some pics. For now, a ratchet cargo strap will do just fine.

And I figured I would share a couple from this afternoon, one of my favorite roads in the county, which doesn't bother with a bridge....
00b53a18.jpg

Kind of hard to read in the shadows, but it says "Stream X-ing No Bridge"

Rather shallow, unless it has been raining out, but a neat place for some pics...

8aa1f2f7.jpg

RedDog

Explorer
Very nice indeed. Good work and impressive innovation. I'm getting older and that kind of interior space and comfort is beginning to make my TJ seem like a rough and drafty lumber wagon. Projects like this really get the mind wondering about alternatives.

FshTaco99

Adventurer
Where abouts did you snap those pics? I'm about a half hour from Hartford County and can't seem to find anywhere else around the Delaware region.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
The road with the stream crossing is Tabernacle Road, which runs off of Flintville Rd/Maryland 623. Also recommended for scenic driving /photography in Harford County in that general area is Susquehanna Hall Rd, Robinson Mill Rd, Line Bridge Rd, and Delp Road. Also, there are a large amount of summer homes built on Broad Creek and the roads to access them are usually open during the weekends, and the roads are named Bigfoot Lane, Susquehanna Ridge Dr, Thompson Lane, and Huneke Lane. If you have an ADC map of the area check out pages 5 and 6 to find these roads, which are either half paved, all gravel, or privately maintained (read: you may need 4WD to drive down it). Approximate GPS coordinates to the general area: 39deg42'00" X 76deg16'00".

Google Maps Shot

Nice kayak launch also at Broad Creek Landing Park, just about 50 yards south of the Broad Creek Bridge on Flintville Rd. Allows access to both Broad Creek and the entire Conowingo Resevoir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles