2002 Tahoe "Expedition" build

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
I beat the heck out of my 2001 cheby 4x4 with the CV front and never had an issue. I had worried when I first got it but after several years of hard use I stopped thinking about it. They were working great when I sold that truck to get the Ford I'm driving now.

Superu

Explorer
That all said, if you like to do mods to your ride and are looking to put on new bumpers and other off road goodies, then the Land Cruiser is the way to go. There are just tons of aftermarket items available for Toyotas vs. Chevy trucks.

I would agree with this assertion only to the extent that the Toyota will afford more choices for mods. As 02TahoeMD has demonstrated, mods are available, you just have to be willing to settle for fewer options.

There is no shortage of good lift kits for the Full sized Chevy ranging from 2" to 8". The prices on bumpers from Kennesaw are about half what you would pay for a comparable ARB. Warn makes a nice grill guard/winch carrier combo as well as a hidden winch setup if you don't need/want the added weight and protection that a full winch bumper affords.

Snorkels are another issue. You'll probably have to do some custom work to add one, but that's sometimes part of the fun. (You're hearing from a guy who has Toyota Safari Snorkel on an 05 Subaru!)

I've owned Yukons in the past and just recently purchased an 03 Suburban that will slowly be built to handle more than the average asphalt jungle. The 5.3 is very smooth and I like the fact that I'm not locked into AWD when RWD will do just fine for 90% of our travels and return better mpg.

One thing I would suggest is a spare fuel pump as the GM's have a design flaw that leads to premature failure of the pump if the tank is regularly run below 1/2 full as the fuel in the tank is relied upon to help cool the pump. Airtex makes the redesigned OEM replacement and for a little over $200 delivered it's cheap insurance since you'll nearly always be able to find a mechanic who can change it (or worst case, have to drop the tank yourself in the field) but you may not always be near a dealer or shop that has the part in stock.

Police consoles are also readily available if you have radio and switch gear that you want to mount up easily in the GM.

cvs1200gmlg.jpg

Good luck and drive what you love!

Nick02

I love your rear bumper, looks like an excellent design, how both the gas and tire fold out and latch separately.

flyingyogi

Good inputs, I always like to hear from people who drive/beat their vehicles and get some good input. With that said my concerns about the cvs are fading. As for the bumpers, I have a welder and saw. I do like the Kenshaws front and back, particular all the custom stuff like the LED light etc. Besides going camping to remote areas, I need something to do when home, so modding a Tahoe would be fun compared to buying exact fit bolt on accessories.
There is just one thing I don't like about newer cars that is all the plastic on the engine, like radiator, intake, valve covers etc. I never had a bad experience with the plastic pieces, it just seems cheap.
I talked to my neighbor who has a "slightly modified" Landcruiser and he only gets about 12mpg on the highway. I think the Tahoe can do much better. We always joke about the Toyota/ Chevy issues. He told me that he would have no problem going to the next town and getting spare parts so I can fix a Chevy on the trail, I keep telling him that at least he can get the Chevy parts in town unlike for his Toyota which have to be mail ordered and shipped overnight.
Besides there are all kinds of engine enhancements for the 5.3 or 5.7. I gotta go and search my local area for a decent low mileage soccer mom Tahoe. :coffee:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I do love my 5.3L, the engine has scads of power and zooming up through a mountain pass on the open road is a breeze. (of course, I mean a paved pass like Wolf Creek and not a place like Engineer )

There is not a terrible amount of plastic under the hood on my truck, at least when compared with more modern stuff. I could remove the trim piece that covers the center of the engine as it is the only "decorative" piece in there...but it doesnt bother me that much.

Oh, and on my recent trip west I was averaging 16 to 18 MPG each day, at least according to my ScanGauge.

GWolfe

:drool: I want your bumpers! :drool:

That is one sweet Tahoe. I just had Justin do a tune on my truck also, man what a difference.

skysix

Adventurer
suspension

Couple of suspension questions, did you have to increase the length of your shocks after the Ford keys and coil spacers? I do a lot of washboard at medium speeds (30-50) so was planning on replacing the OEM anyway - might as well get set for leveling at the same time.

In lieu of coil spacers did you ever try suburban Z71 coils? Have been assured they fit and have a higher spring rate since Sub is heavier. Z71 supposedly also 1" or so taller within a given model line - so seems kill 2 birds with one stone, get an inch or so og lift and offset the RTT and gear weight.

A couple of electrical questions - how does the National Luna price compare to Wrangler Northwest? Did you upgrade the alternator? I mounted a 1000W (1500 peak) inverter under the seat (in the middle) which has made all sorts of things possible... ran a 4 gauge supply from the battery.

Planning to add a pair of flat AGM batteries (group 8D equivalent, info at http://www.energy1batteries.com/Tech...10FT_Specs.pdf)
that Carlisle detailed in his Alaskan camper build (http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ead.php?t=9502 ) under both front seats as I plan to use the dual battery location you used for an Espar or Webasto hydronic heater etc.
Edit/Delete Message

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Couple of suspension questions, did you have to increase the length of your shocks after the Ford keys and coil spacers? I do a lot of washboard at medium speeds (30-50) so was planning on replacing the OEM anyway - might as well get set for leveling at the same time.

I tried stuffing some Rancho shocks up front meant for a 4 inch lift. They worked, but one of the shocks failed recently. I suspect due to it not being able to flex completely. And both of the bushings that came with the Rancho shocks melted from heat. The fronts have been replaced with standard Superlift shocks, and heavy duty bushings I got off eBay. When I ordered the shocks, the catalog said they were set up for a 2 inch lift, but when placed side by side with the factory shocks, they are the exact same length. Go figure. I am going to try these shock extensions from eBay to compensate for the extra height of the torsion lift. I also trimmed about 1/2 inch off the bump stops to get a bit more play out of the front, I will see how that does out on the trail, and maybe trim some more.

In lieu of coil spacers did you ever try suburban Z71 coils? Have been assured they fit and have a higher spring rate since Sub is heavier. Z71 supposedly also 1" or so taller within a given model line - so seems kill 2 birds with one stone, get an inch or so og lift and offset the RTT and gear weight.

Yes, the rear coils were replaced with Z71 coils and spacers. I did a detailed write up over on z71t-s to show the differences. I think I will add airbags inside of the coils to assist with a full trip load out.

A couple of electrical questions - how does the National Luna price compare to Wrangler Northwest? Did you upgrade the alternator? I mounted a 1000W (1500 peak) inverter under the seat (in the middle) which has made all sorts of things possible... ran a 4 gauge supply from the battery.

No clue about the pricing. I read the review of the National Luna kit in Overland Journal and figured I would get that kit. I do plan on putting in a bigger alternator when monies become available. I have an inverter mounted in the back running off a heavy gauge lead that I ran from my house battery. It is not too big but suits my needs just fine.

skysix

Adventurer
the Z71 coils you have photos of on the Z71 board - are they both Tahoe coils? Both Suburban coils? or a stock Tahoe and a Suburban Z71?

02TahoeMD

Explorer
the Z71 coils you have photos of on the Z71 board - are they both Tahoe coils? Both Suburban coils? or a stock Tahoe and a Suburban Z71?

Both Tahoe coils - the LT out of my truck and the Z coil out of a forum member who lowered her Z71 Tahoe. Didnt bother with trying to shop for Sub coils since I got the Z Tahoe coils for a great price. Though I often will put a high quality (and $$$) system into the truck like the National Luna kit, I also am always trying to find a cheaper way to do things.....

02TahoeMD

Explorer
02TahoeMD, Did you replace your Tie-Rods with after-market units? What about your rear trailing arms?

No, I have not changed them out, yet. I have, however, been looking around on the net here and there to find well built replacement goodies. But, so far, the factory equipment has held up fine.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
So any updates ? Or have you mostly been enjoying it 'as is' ? Keep it up !

Thanks for asking Jean-Seb, I have been remiss in updating this. I appreciate you asking... For the most part, I have just been enjoying the truck, it is very nice to be able to just get in and drive it and not worry about whatever new idea has popped up in my head.

Things I have done:
Added a KYB steering stabilizer. There is no real conclusive evidence on the net about this being a good thing, or a bad thing, for the pitman arm, but I figured I would give it a try. Pretty easy install, and it does help the bigger tires when hitting a pothole or washout in the road, as it absorbs some of that impact, you feel it less in the steering wheel... here is a pic of it before I put my steel skid plate back on.
Tahoesteeringstabilizer.jpg

I also upgraded my brakes to EBC slotted rotors up front and Green Stuff pads, and also installed Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, as well as flushed the brake system completely. Brake fluid is normally clear, and my old stuff came out the color of coffee. UGH! Big difference now with the fresh fluid and the stainless lines, I am very happy with the results. Mostly easy project with the exception of the one stainless line that goes from the frame and across to the bottom of the axle. Major irritation ensued while attempting to work in the few inches of space between the frame and body...but I managed and got it done.
IMG_5341.jpg

Also, the truck started to show some strange sounds (a surging and loping of the throttle) when under acceleration, which was determined to most likely be the imminent death of my fuel pump, which is a common ailment on these trucks. So, I replaced the fuel pump with a new one. I did it myself and saved huge $$$ on labor, but it took about a full day to figure out and complete. Frustrating, sure, but I was glad to have done it myself and not had to shell out about $1K for it. Problem solved too.

HPIM0245.jpg

Otherwise, I have just been driving the truck in the local area some, my work schedule this year just has not permitted me to take so much as a trip down to the beach. I regret it looks like I wont even get my kayak out this year:( but hopefully next year will be better with work. Sigh.

Here's a few of the pics I took the past year...
IMG_5529-1.jpg

IMG_5536.jpg

TahoeandCannon-2-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles