2002 Tahoe "Expedition" build

Boost Creep

Adventurer
i really liked having the pelican on the roof for recovery stuff. haven't had one since i switched to a flat rack for the rtt. nice new mods :)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
That is the nicest Tahoe/suburban of that generation....I love it. Mine is connected to the plow for the winter again. DOH! I have a misfire as well, getting round to that this morning. Its one thing after another with it now. lost the PS pump, before that it was a massive front end, suspension/brakes rebuild. I HOPE this is the last of the issues for a while.

Very nice tahoe! I will be trading in the expy for a tahoe soon, so this is some good inspiration.
Question, how do you like that rear bumper? It looks awesome but I've heard some sketchy stories about the build quality coming from that shop.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Very nice tahoe! I will be trading in the expy for a tahoe soon, so this is some good inspiration.
Question, how do you like that rear bumper? It looks awesome but I've heard some sketchy stories about the build quality coming from that shop.

Thank you. I do like the bumper, it has held up well. That said, I did have to clean it up a bit after getting it, there was weld splatter on it, sharp edges, and a single coat of paint. I do seem to be in the minority as there are many unhappy customers out there on the internet, and I think there is a reason that they have changed the company name 3 times. Someday if I get additional funds I may try another go at a rear bumper, maybe design one myself that matches the lines of the ARB front bumper better. I recently got a contact at a fab shop that would probably be capable of building me something exactly to my own design, in aluminum. So, we shall see.....

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Martin, I am not sure what is up. I can still see the photos, and I know I am only at about 18% of the allowed content storage at Photobucket. I just tried to sign into my account and they are showing as "down for maintenance" at the moment - 1315 hrs EST on 29 Jan 16

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Ok I can finally see the pics. Wow! Great build. Doesn't hurt that hunter green is my favorite color.

Am I right that your Tahoe was not a Z71 but that you added the z71 air dam? I like it (I wanted a Z71 but ended up with an LT.)

Although your build is way more extreme than what I plan on, I like the stance of your Tahoe. So that is all keys and spacers? Any CV issues so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Mine is slowly looseing its Z71 appearance every useage. from sliding and backing into snowbanks while plowing, I keep knocking plastic off it. ha ha!

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Ok I can finally see the pics. Wow! Great build. Doesn't hurt that hunter green is my favorite color.

Am I right that your Tahoe was not a Z71 but that you added the z71 air dam? I like it (I wanted a Z71 but ended up with an LT.)

Although your build is way more extreme than what I plan on, I like the stance of your Tahoe. So that is all keys and spacers? Any CV issues so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Martin. Yes it was a LT Tahoe to start. Of course I did end up losing the Z71 style airdam when I switched to the ARB bumper, but that was the only Z71 appearance part I had added to the rig. It is an easy switch to do, the air dam switch was easy, just had to find some aftermarket round driving lights that fit it since the factory ones were pretty expensive. The coils are Z71 parts bought off of someone who lowered their Z71 into a street rig. Only lift is the 2 inch spacers and cranked Ford F150 keys. So far, no issues with the CV joints (knock on wood :box:)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks Martin. Yes it was a LT Tahoe to start. Of course I did end up losing the Z71 style airdam when I switched to the ARB bumper, but that was the only Z71 appearance part I had added to the rig. It is an easy switch to do, the air dam switch was easy, just had to find some aftermarket round driving lights that fit it since the factory ones were pretty expensive. The coils are Z71 parts bought off of someone who lowered their Z71 into a street rig. Only lift is the 2 inch spacers and cranked Ford F150 keys. So far, no issues with the CV joints (knock on wood :box:)
BTW, I've only skimmed the thread but a few pages back you stated that you didn't have the rear locker because your truck was just an LT. FWIW my LT Suburban has the G80 so I wouldn't be so sure your Tahoe doesn't.
We've had a couple of heavy snowstorms here in Denver since I got my 'Burb and it has really impressed me with how well it's done. The tires that came on it are Kelly Springfield Safari ATRs, which would not be my choice (my understanding is that Kelly Springfield is a "budget tire", favored by car dealerships that need to put new rubber on vehicles before they sell them.) Despite that, the tires have a lot of tread left and are reasonably quiet so they'll stay on, most likely until they wear out or at the end of the 2016 camping season, whichever comes first.
I'm hoping you bring that rig out West where it can be put to use! Seems a shame to have a nicely built truck like that stuck in a place where off roading is hard to find.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
BTW, I've only skimmed the thread but a few pages back you stated that you didn't have the rear locker because your truck was just an LT. FWIW my LT Suburban has the G80 so I wouldn't be so sure your Tahoe doesn't. .....
I'm hoping you bring that rig out West where it can be put to use! Seems a shame to have a nicely built truck like that stuck in a place where off roading is hard to find.

According to my code sheet I do not have a locker in back, unfortunately. I have taken her out West, it has been too difficult with work the past few years to schedule the solid 2 weeks to get back out there for another visit. My tentative plan is to just relocate out there in a few years. I miss the mountains, big time. I do try to take regional trips to get some time off the beaten path and do some exploring, I have had it off road now in 8 different states. Here are a couple pics of her in her natural environment....

7f7a817c.jpg

Outer Banks North Carolina

TripWest2009113.jpg
TripWest2009358.jpg

Colorado.................................... .....................................Arizona North Kaibab Forest

TripWest2009223.jpg

Toroweap Trail Arizona North Rim Grand Canyon

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz