2002 Tahoe "Expedition" build

02TahoeMD

Explorer
This site is the devil I do believe.

My sincerest apologies if I have caused you to stumble. :sombrero: Though, I do think it is cool that your wife wants the kind of mods I have done to my rig.

I have a 2001 Tahoe and am getting ready to design and build a rear bumper/tire carrier here. If you are interested, I could make two as easily as one.

Husker, by all means show us what you make. I admire people who can create in steel.

Time for some updates! First, I realize that I had not mentioned a couple maintenance items I had done over the past 2 years. First, I found out that the 5.3L is notorious for breaking the bolts off the exhaust manifolds. After reading about this problem, I got under the hood to take a look. Sure enough, I found a broken bolt head located on the back driver's side bolt next to the firewall. I got a set of new stainless steel bolts along with gaskets and spent a weekend crouched inside of my wheel wells replacing the darn things. (I had to take breaks to stretch my back....as well as my patience) Thankfully only the one bolt was broken and it was just the head at that, and after a good bit of uncomfortable work the bolts were all replaced.
HPIM0370_zps595e9910.jpg

Also, last fall my second Flowmaster exhaust rusted through completely and lost the back half of one pipe and most of the other. So I decided to go with a stainless system from Gibson, single pipe, and be done with the replacement cycle. Driving down at Outer Banks as well as East Coast winters just is not good for steel. I am delighted with the sound of the Gibson. There is absolutely NO drone at any speed - unlike the Flowmaster which at about 45 MPH the drone was obnoxious at times - and when you open it up the sound is super. It is also pretty quiet at idle which is a bit improvement for me over the Flowmaster. When I would warm the truck up in the morning items inside of my house next to the carport would start to buzz from vibrations given off, now, that is gone. The kit came with a polished stainless tip which I then converted to black with a bit of sanding and painting work. The photo below shows the system with a couple thousand miles on it now. The paint does have some wear but still looks decent.
Gibson Exhaust_zpsatbqpfyb.jpg

Next up was a dual USB charging port that I added to the inside of the center console. It is tied in directly to the LED cupholder lights and works great. It is a nice way to power up items and keep them out of sight from prying eyes.
HPIM0078_zpsnq3dojca.jpg

Lastly, I took the rig out to western Maryland for some camping at Greenridge State Forest. I can not recommend it enough as a place to go visit and explore. It is a great testing ground for any equipment and setups you may try to use on an extended trip. Since my 2009 trip out West, I have consolidated the gear a good bit and after this most recent trip, trimmed things down yet again. Like usual, I took my dogs with me for this short trip and they loved it - as far as I could tell. Greenridge Forest has many miles of trails that vary from simple gravel road to deeply rutted roads that require a good eye to drive without hurting your vehicle. If you live within a few hours of Flintstone, MD, give the place a try.

On to some photos from the trip.
15 Mile Creek Crossing 2_zpslq4rngeq.jpg
IMG_7081 BampW_zps13ei9qgb.jpg

15 Mile Creek Crossing ...................................................................................................Greenridge Road headed southbound

IMG_7017_zpsjclbn18j.jpg
IMG_20161004_142201_743_zps3l1iwae8.jpg

Campsite at night....................................................................................... Lunch break with happy dogs

IMG_20161004_104634_392_zpsewj6jnfo.jpg

Early morning campsite view

IMG_6995_zpsruvvfrsy.jpg

My ever faithful traveling companions.

As ever, I do sincerely appreciate the kind words and compliments given to me over the years. Hard to believe I have had this thing for 11 years now. No intentions of getting rid of it.

Big50

Adventurer
Great update and very cool to see you stick with a rig for so long. Question for you, what mounts did you use to mount your rack? I have a 2012 yukon and it pretty much as the same factory rails so I'd love to mount a defender rack the same way you did. Really like how low profile it is.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Great update and very cool to see you stick with a rig for so long. Question for you, what mounts did you use to mount your rack? I have a 2012 yukon and it pretty much as the same factory rails so I'd love to mount a defender rack the same way you did. Really like how low profile it is.

Thanks much. I do enjoy the truck very much and have become loyal to it, besides, I could not afford to get another rig and tinker with it as much as I have done on this one. I know most of it very well as I have worked on it off and on over the years, I have learned SO much since I bought it in 2005 it is amazing to think about.

Anyway, in regards to the rack mount I just fabbed up some metal plates that could attach to the bottom of the rack and then screw into the outside of the factory rails. I then painted some large hose clamps gloss black, and then covered them in heat shrink tubing, and used them to clamp the tubes of the rack onto the rails of the factory luggage rack. The hose clamps alone are probably strong enough to keep everything in place. I do not recall the exact version of Defender rack I ordered, I went by the dimensions of the factory luggage rack system, NOT the one that was recommended by Defender to mount to the truck since it would have had a fairly significant overhang on the sides that I did not want.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Where in the park did you find that 15 Mile Creek crossing?

Great pics. I'll be in Greenridge again shortly and wouldn't mind checking out that area.

Thanks!

Thanks. That crossing is on Fifteen Mile Creek Road after it splits off of Rt 40, north of I-68. There is also a bridge crossing but if you look off to the side you can see a well traveled fording area. If you are not familiar, further south in the Forest there are several other stream crossings that are rather photogenic. Look for Maniford Rd, drive it completely from Pack Horse Trail Rd to Lower Town Creek Rd and turn around once you hit L.T.C. Rd.

RPhil

Adventurer
Thanks. That crossing is on Fifteen Mile Creek Road after it splits off of Rt 40, north of I-68. There is also a bridge crossing but if you look off to the side you can see a well traveled fording area. If you are not familiar, further south in the Forest there are several other stream crossings that are rather photogenic. Look for Maniford Rd, drive it completely from Pack Horse Trail Rd to Lower Town Creek Rd and turn around once you hit L.T.C. Rd.

Noted, thanks! I'm not too familiar with the different areas, I stayed around campsite 88 last time I went. I will keep in mind your comments for my next trip.

MadDogDelpho

Did you ever do a write-up on how you mounted the snorkel? I also have an '02 Tahoe and I love your build, I'm in college so I don't have a big budget, but whenever I can make a mod, I do it!

Jelorian

Adventurer
Did you ever do a write-up on how you mounted the snorkel? I also have an '02 Tahoe and I love your build, I'm in college so I don't have a big budget, but whenever I can make a mod, I do it!

Look here.

Hello All
Thought I would finally introduce my ride, I have been working on her just about non stop since I bought it in 2005. Ever since I have slowly been working towards turning it into an Expeditionary Vehicle. I finally have it to a point that I feel that the project is just about 75% done......

If anyone is interested, I have done a complete write up on the snorkel conversion over on z71tahoe-suburban.com, under " Off Road Tech ". I am really, really glad to have found this forum and others who love an Expeditionary ride.....:safari-rig:

Any comments or suggestions appreciated...

Jelorian

Adventurer
I found it pretty soon after posting that. But thanks anyhow!

I did one as well.

Check it out here.

You mentioned you were a college student on a budget. The Ebay snorkel I used was $70 shipped. Much cheaper than a real Safari Snorkel at $400.

After going through both write ups, I'm sure you will come up with an installation that is even better.

Good luck!

RedF

Adventurer
Time for some updates! First, I realize that I had not mentioned a couple maintenance items I had done over the past 2 years. First, I found out that the 5.3L is notorious for breaking the bolts off the exhaust manifolds. After reading about this problem, I got under the hood to take a look. Sure enough, I found a broken bolt head located on the back driver's side bolt next to the firewall. I got a set of new stainless steel bolts along with gaskets and spent a weekend crouched inside of my wheel wells replacing the darn things. (I had to take breaks to stretch my back....as well as my patience) Thankfully only the one bolt was broken and it was just the head at that, and after a good bit of uncomfortable work the bolts were all replaced.
HPIM0370_zps595e9910.jpg

Do the SS bolts remedy this problem? Are they from ARP? I have two broken bolts (the very front and the very back D/S) on my Silverado. I've not been very keen on tackling this project, so other things have been taking priority.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Do the SS bolts remedy this problem? Are they from ARP? I have two broken bolts (the very front and the very back D/S) on my Silverado. I've not been very keen on tackling this project, so other things have been taking priority.

Yes, Red, they are indeed ARP bolts. Considerably better quality than what GM used during initial manufacture. ( shocking, I know ) Below is a pic of the bolts I took during the install. You can see the broken one near the top of the package. It was a relief to have it done before it caused a major problem.

HPIM0372_zps2decee9b.jpg

02TahoeMD

Explorer
14 bolt axle conversion

My latest mod was just wrapped up yesterday. In December my Tahoe gave me an early Christmas present of grinding noises coming from the rear axle.:( Diagnosed with failing bearings, I was quoted over $1100 to get the axle rebuilt back up to "new" condition. After doing some research I decided to swap out the notoriously weak 10 bolt axle and put in a 14 bolt " hybrid" axle out of a 2006 Escalade. This axle is called a hybrid since it has a 14 bolt diff but runs 6 lug axle shafts. If you would like to read more, please follow this link over to Z71Tahoe-Suburban where I did a writeup on the conversion process. It is about as close to a true drop- in axle conversion as you will find. I also added a Spohn Performance panhard / track bar to the assembly when putting it all back together. Much better made part than what it came with from the factory. Definitely can recommend their products based on what I have seen in the track bar.

Escalade Axles_zps1zjbomur.jpg

HPIM0126_zpsbitz3975.jpg

So far everything is working on it just fine. Any questions, ask away.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier