2002 Tahoe "Expedition" build

tdemontigny91406

Hey 02TahoeMD I've been following your truck for quite some time now and I love what you have done so far with it. I myself, am currently in the early stages of my build with my 2003 tahoe. I was wondering if you ever redid the differential breathers since you've done your snorkel conversion? I'm looking to do a snorkel conversion like you; (thanks for the great write up and info by the way) any suggestions? Thanks Tony d.

justcuz

Explorer
I looked through the thread today and had a suggestion about your rear axle.
1. If you ever need a locker, try a Lock Right lunch box locker. I've had mine for several years and like it.
2. If and when you ever need to replace your rear axle, I would endorse the use of a 14 bolt semi float rear end.

They have been installed in Suburbans and Escalades since around 2007 or so and most come with the G80 which is stout in the 14 bolt. They use the same suspension links, brakes and parking brake cables as the factory 10 bolt.
Starting in 2015 they are standard issue in all Suburbans and Tahoes.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Hey 02TahoeMD I've been following your truck for quite some time now and I love what you have done so far with it. I myself, am currently in the early stages of my build with my 2003 tahoe. I was wondering if you ever redid the differential breathers since you've done your snorkel conversion? I'm looking to do a snorkel conversion like you; (thanks for the great write up and info by the way) any suggestions? Thanks Tony d.

Thanks much Tony, actually I traced my breather tubes and found they were fairly high up. The front was up on the firewall while the rear was near the gas cap, which seems high enough for my uses.

I looked through the thread today and had a suggestion about your rear axle.
1. If you ever need a locker, try a Lock Right lunch box locker. I've had mine for several years and like it.
2. If and when you ever need to replace your rear axle, I would endorse the use of a 14 bolt semi float rear end.

They have been installed in Suburbans and Escalades since around 2007 or so and most come with the G80 which is stout in the 14 bolt. They use the same suspension links, brakes and parking brake cables as the factory 10 bolt.
Starting in 2015 they are standard issue in all Suburbans and Tahoes.

Thanks, I had not heard of the "lunch box" locker yet, will look into it. I am very familiar with the 14 bolt conversion as there have been a couple done on the z71tahoe-suburban website. There is definitely an appeal to putting a heavy duty rear axle under the rig, i just can't justify the expense at the moment. (currently paying off a new HVAC for my home, yay :( ) Maybe someday....

Here is a cheap mod I did recently, I replaced my factory under hood light with the older style GM "reel" light. This light has it's own dedicated on - off switch, and the light can be unclipped and deployed anywhere within about 15 feet from the source. (got the idea from Four Wheeler site) I added a modern LED bulb to up the candlepower significantly over the original bulb. I think I have about $35 in this project. Got the part and bulb off eBay.

Hood Light_zpsammbrgse.jpg

As always, thanks guys for the interest in my rig. :ylsmoke:

rayra

Expedition Leader
02 Sub and 05 Tahoe, breather tubes. I've found the trans tube up near the firewall behind the intake manifold. About where the distributor clamp would be on an old small block chevy. The front axle tube extends to just above the front left suspension, on the wheel well tub out of the 'splash' zone. The rear axle tube extends up into the fender / body void between the fuel filler and taillight. I suppose the locations are the same for the rest of the GMT800s. A pretty good arrangement for 'factory'. You'd have to have your tires totally submerged before it becomes an issue.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Just for a quick update... You can probably do a semi float 14 bolt upgrade for $200 to $300. So the question is.... Why not?:wings:

huntgathergrow

So glad to have found this thread. I found your other posts on other forums and it's been a big inspiration for a camping rig for my wife and me using our 2001 Tahoe. Thanks for posting and all the details!

Stryder106

Explorer
Hey John - just read through the entire post (I didn't know you had this thread on this forum) your rig looks awesome. Thanks to your help, I got my snorkel finished (you know that), but I just had a rear bumper with dual swing outs fabbed for my Avalanche (now I need to buy an appropriate spare tire and wheel). Now, for the next project - researching how LITTLE lift I can get away with and fit 35x12.50 - 17s on it.New Rear Swing Out.jpg

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I do believe this vehicle was totaled in a traffic accident a while back.

:Wow1: Uhm, are you talking about MY truck? ? ? She is sitting in my driveway at this very moment. Since I bought it, she has never been wrecked. Ever. I did hit a deer once but the ARB bumper took it out without so much as a scratch. :safari-rig:

This site is the devil I do believe. Wife had me drag home a 2000 NBS Suburban 2WD with a locked motor. Not only does she want a motor upgrade but she has seen the mods you have done and is making me a honey do list. It is her Suburban and we all know what the wife wants, the wife gets LOL. The Sub is in great condition other than a bad motor. I know the previous owner and it was drivable till parked. They had driven to the store and when they went back out it tried to start but kicked back the starter which broke the starter. A new starter wouldn't even turn the motor. I did the repair work so I know the electrical is all good. The motor is locked.

Shame no one makes a good tire carrier rear bumper like yours. There is no way anyone could torture me enough to deal with who you did to get it.

HuskerTrev

Observer
This site is the devil I do believe. Wife had me drag home a 2000 NBS Suburban 2WD with a locked motor. Not only does she want a motor upgrade but she has seen the mods you have done and is making me a honey do list. It is her Suburban and we all know what the wife wants, the wife gets LOL. The Sub is in great condition other than a bad motor. I know the previous owner and it was drivable till parked. They had driven to the store and when they went back out it tried to start but kicked back the starter which broke the starter. A new starter wouldn't even turn the motor. I did the repair work so I know the electrical is all good. The motor is locked.

Shame no one makes a good tire carrier rear bumper like yours. There is no way anyone could torture me enough to deal with who you did to get it.
I have a 2001 Tahoe and am getting ready to design and build a rear bumper/tire carrier here. If you are interested, I could make two as easily as one.
87b7b8412ac7da6ef02633158176fed7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Jelorian

Adventurer
I have a 2001 Tahoe and am getting ready to design and build a rear bumper/tire carrier here. If you are interested, I could make two as easily as one.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

If it ends up looking close to what 02TahoeMD's, then I might be interested as well. Do you have a website where we might see more of your work?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz