jeep jk unlimited camper project

SoCal Tom

Explorer
The people over on tnttt seem to really like a product called CPES for sealing the outside of their wood trailer builds. Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. I am not sure on the price, but it does sound like it holds up incredibly well. I stumbled upon it when trying to find something to seal the bottom of my pop-up, maybe someone with experience with the stuff will chime in.

I used CPES it's basically epoxy diluted with mineral spirits. I've still seen others that used it have delamination issues. I've wondered myself what mineral spirits does to the glue that holds plywood together. If you decide to use it, don't go overboard.
Tom

Cringe

Observer
I used CPES it's basically epoxy diluted with mineral spirits. I've still seen others that used it have delamination issues. I've wondered myself what mineral spirits does to the glue that holds plywood together. If you decide to use it, don't go overboard.
Tom

Good to know, guess I will be looking for that Olympic product jscherb suggested.

bamajeep

Adventurer
Tom

Thanks for the heads-up.

bamajeep

Adventurer
Yes, I'd definitely recommend primer on the fiberglass. I used two-part automotive epoxy primer and applied it with a roller. You probably could use other types of primer, although I've only tested the Olympic product with the epoxy. I use epoxy primer for pretty much everything because it adheres extremely well to almost anything including fiberglass and provides an excellent base for any type of topcoat. I primed my entire cover, both the fiberglass and wood parts, to get a consistent surface for the finish, but you probably could get away with only priming the non-wood components if you wanted to economize on epoxy, with will probably run $40 per quart.

I use PPG Omni epoxy primer because it's the least expensive epoxy my local auto paint jobber carries, but places like Eastwood and Summit Racing sell it too.

Thanks, Jeff! Will most likely be going this route too.

bamajeep

Adventurer
Sorry in advance, for the crummy picture - can't photoshop, and I obviously can't draw. However, was wanting to get some opinions regarding windows, doors, and tire placement. This is kind of what I had in mind...

Attachments

• J4.jpg
    J4.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 149

Yuccahead

Adventurer
Maybe with a ladder to get up there, I could get a tire down from up there. Can't imagine how I would ever get the tire I replaced back up there without maybe winching it up. Looks cool.

I'm not sure this is even a remotely good idea but perhaps you could have the spare on the front bumper somehow to counter the extra weight sticking out back. Maybe tilt it out front like a stinger?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
BamaJeep4_zpsvnvp3xn0.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Beautiful work. What material do you plan to use for the pop up portion? Also, having built several plywood skiffs (essentially your camper is an upside down boat :)) I suggest taping the seams with at least 3" fiberglass tape and using a thickened epoxy as the glue... tape both side of every joint. This will bond it all together and also seal the ends of all the plywood. Secondly, assuming using fiberglass cloth on all exterior would be too heavy for this application, look at other options from the boatbuilding world. Even a few coats of unthickened epoxy would effectively seal it. I do not think CPES was designed to be used as a stand alone product, though I may be wrong.

Great job

John

bamajeep

Adventurer
Finally got a chance to get back to the camper project. Worked on the tail light bezels and fuel door. Hopefully, more progress to come in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_6643.jpg
    IMG_6643.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_6644.jpg
    IMG_6644.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6645.jpg
    IMG_6645.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_6652.jpg
    IMG_6652.jpg