Defender Questions

OneTime

Adventurer
Im really happy with my 80! Ever time I come home in my DD Focus and open my garage and see the big ol grill of my LC with the ol school TOYOTA on the grill, I smile. Thats what I love about this place you can get opions about sevaral other brands and not just a "MY BRAND IS BEST" attitude. I like the 80 but just anted info incase one day I decide to cheat and have an affair with a LR. Thanks guys.

EricWS

Observer
RonL said:
"higher expectations for reliability" for $35,000.... I don't think anyone has high expectation of Land Rover reliability. Everyone knews Rover have issues,(that is what the interent says), but I have had nothing but great luck with mine. You hear stories about head gaskets and other electric stuff and I have had none of those issues. I maybe one of the luckly ones, but I have been lucky twice, since I have two of them.

Hopefully, if someone can afford $35-50,000 for a D-90, they can afford to maintain it. Maintance is the key to these trucks.

The exterior looks of a truck is important, but you will spend more time behind the wheel, looking at the interior. Make sure you are not too big for the interior of a D-90, they are a little small in the seating area. Soft top are also very load on the road. So what I am saying is if you are looking for a D-90 soft top, keep this in mind. Interior is small, soft top are load, but the looks are iconic.

I am over 6 and have never had any problems with the interior. None of my taller friends (thru 6'5") have complained either. Stock tops are very loud. But the badger is nice for a ST. All depends on the top. Interior of a 90 is not that small either. Beat a wrangler, but if your used to a disco, then its small. I can fit a full weaks load of gear and bikes in it with careful packing.

Just cause you can afford the truck doesn't mean you can maintain it. Saw what looked to be a nice 90 at my mechanics. Talked with the guy and he ws very price sensitive to proper repairs. Needed heads, new frame, new bulkhead. That truck was a good resotration project at best. Yet he drove it around. Cause it looked cool. Poor George was seeing all sorts of dollars to get that truck in any decent shape.

Defender90

Observer
It's too late for you.....the "D" will haunt your dreams until you cave!

I hope you cave in and get one when the time is right. The day you get a Defender is a special day, one of the happiest you will ever have. Unfortunately, later that day you will be the saddest you have ever been when you find out that Rovers North, Atlantic British, and other various vendors have you by the balls! You will never, EVER, be done fixing, upgrading and modifying. Just make sure you have a special savings account that you set aside for bumpers, winches, roof racks, and things that break.
All NAS D's are getting up there in age, so they will all need some kind of work. Even if you bought one from Copely motorcars, it would still need something. Just be ready for excitement and disappointment. That being said, you will catch a lot of people breaking their necks to get a look at it when you are out and about in it.

Blair G

Adventurer
The one thing I find amazing about Land Rover owners is the blind eye we have when it comes to our Land Rovers. Things that we would not tolerate in other vehicles are looked upon as traits and idiosyncrasies common to Land Rovers. The 110/90 variation didn't really deviate from the series. It is still the same leaky, funky ergonomic, noisy trucks they have always been. I was amazed when I sat in the Defender and it was no different. For anybody of decent size and shoulders wider then your hips sitting in the Defender was exactly the same as being in a SII or SIII. Actually to be fair, the SIIa had more knee room since it had no dash.
I think for those people who migrate from other vehicles, the experience will be a different one. For those of us who have had Land Rovers for awhile, most of what I am talking about is not even noticed anymore.

Blair

RonL

Adventurer
Maybe the better way to see if a Defender is right for you, is to go on a trip in one. OneTime, you should be able to found someone on this Site that would not mind you riding shotgun in a weekend trip. That way you can see first hand what a D-90 is like.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I wanted a Defender for the rugged brawn. My wife wanted a Rangie for the posh appointments. We settled in the middle with the Disco. That's what makes the Rover vehicles so fun.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I've been holding back from replying to this thread.

I admit it. I am totally bitten by the Defender bug.

I know that they are ridiculously expensive. I know that they have reliability challenges in certain hands.

But I love them. I love their quirks. I love their lines. I love their pedigree. I would sell my Tacoma, bike, daily driver and whatever else in a heartbeat for the right Defender.

One day I will own one like this:

9518ccx1102bac6a25xy7fdf.JPG

There... I feel better now :)

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
mountainpete said:

I know that they are ridiculously expensive. I know that they have reliability challenges in certain hands.

But I love them. I love their quirks. I love their lines. I love their pedigree. I would sell my Tacoma, bike, daily driver and whatever else in a heartbeat for the right Defender.

I can hardly blame you. Looks like you ot the pic from Copley Motor Cars. :safari-rig:

toyota_jon

Adventurer
mountainpete said:

X2 on everything you just said. a 110 TDi is my dream expo truck. someday...

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
MuddyMudskipper said:
I can hardly blame you. Looks like you ot the pic from Copley Motor Cars. :safari-rig:

Certainly is Muddy...

All $180,000 of their incredibly meticulous restoration (or new parts), new 300 TDi mated to a 5 speed and basic expedition kit. Yes, you read that right $180k for what I would personally consider the "Ferrari of overland vehicles" available in North America.

I can't help but dream what it would be like to pickup that truck and spend a year just exploring North America.

Pete

Blair G

Adventurer
mountainpete said:
Certainly is Muddy...

All $180,000 of their incredibly meticulous restoration (or new parts), new 300 TDi mated to a 5 speed and basic expedition kit. Yes, you read that right $180k for what I would personally consider the "Ferrari of overland vehicles" available in North America.

I can't help but dream what it would be like to pickup that truck and spend a year just exploring North America.

Pete

180.000 grand for a 110? There better be a bag full (and I mean full!)of unmarked bills in the back. Hell, you can't even see over the tire on the bonnet.

Blair

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Blair G said:
180.000 grand for a 110? There better be a bag full (and I mean full!)of unmarked bills in the back. Hell, you can't even see over the tire on the bonnet.

Blair

Just like with TLC, Foose and other best in class restorers, there are people who are going to say that paying that kind of money for a vehicle is ludicrous. Maybe they are right and maybe not. But think about it...

You start out with what is likely to be an $65 - 80k truck and then take it apart bolt by bolt and install a brand new engine (imported), new transmission and rebuild it with all kinds of new components (from newer overseas Defenders) over the course of 6+ months. Is that work $100k on top of the base truck? Depends on the customer.

I know if money wasn't an issue, I would probably purchase a truck like this before a Ferrari or Lamborghini...

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles