pickup recommendation

Seabass

Idiot
Your a lucky man. You don't mind used....and 7k gives you plenty to choose from. I'd say go gas. Diesel engines are great and all- but everything about them is expensive. Right now I daily drive a 97 crew cab long bed F-350 4x4 with a 351 and a five speed trans. It's got almost 300,000 miles on it. I only gave 3,000 for it three years ago with closer to 250,000 miles. It's super dependable and cheap to fix/maintain. I have a power stroke- but it's not as dependable. Suburbans are awesome, 6.0 chevy 3/4 tons last forever, half tons too, the ford F-250 &5.4 is super solid too. You see what I'm getting at? Pick a flavor that you like and get to looking- there's plenty out there to choose from if your patient and all of them have some great features to build from. Good luck!

Kmehr

Adventurer
I'd look for a crew cab 2001 and older chevy gas truck, or maybe a newer extended cab, depends on how big the people are you wanna haul. Ext cab is fine for kids, but crew cab is a must for taller people in my opinion. diesels are great, but for the budget you have, getting a really solid 4x4 is going to be tough to find in good shape without a billion miles on it. Sure diesel engines can last forever, but the rest of the truck wears just the same as a gas. I'm a chevy guy, and i'm sure the fords are similar.

As for engine, my 89 Chevy has a 350 tbi. It's regular cab 4x4 and i can get 18 on the highway. Best part about it though, is the cost of repair. For example, I replaced the water pump last year, it cost $19.99 from Advance auto. That to me is just crazy. Stupid simple to work on, stupid cheap to run, super reliable, and they only made about a million of them so parts are everywhere. Hell you can get a BRAND NEW long block from GM for $1700. that's crazy cheap. A vortec 5.3L (96+) is pretty much the same story, just parts are a tad more expensive. Just my .02

Bojak

Adventurer
I'd look for a crew cab 2001 and older chevy gas truck, or maybe a newer extended cab, depends on how big the people are you wanna haul. Ext cab is fine for kids, but crew cab is a must for taller people in my opinion. diesels are great, but for the budget you have, getting a really solid 4x4 is going to be tough to find in good shape without a billion miles on it. Sure diesel engines can last forever, but the rest of the truck wears just the same as a gas. I'm a chevy guy, and i'm sure the fords are similar.

As for engine, my 89 Chevy has a 350 tbi. It's regular cab 4x4 and i can get 18 on the highway. Best part about it though, is the cost of repair. For example, I replaced the water pump last year, it cost $19.99 from Advance auto. That to me is just crazy. Stupid simple to work on, stupid cheap to run, super reliable, and they only made about a million of them so parts are everywhere. Hell you can get a BRAND NEW long block from GM for $1700. that's crazy cheap. A vortec 5.3L (96+) is pretty much the same story, just parts are a tad more expensive. Just my .02
I second the 350 tbi thought. It really is the standard bearer of small block v8's. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.....for a long long time. Then when time a crate motor is cheap and your good for another 300k. Affordable parts, readily available parts, and really simple 2 work on if inclined. Even if your not a "mechanic" you are better off with something simple to work on out on your journey than something more complex. Every small town has a cooter who can fix it. Not a horsepower, towing, or performance king but it is adequate in all departments for 90% of life.

yosh1975

Observer
I did own a 93 (?) Chevy 350 1/2 ton with a 5spd. Great truck, rusted out though. I will definitely keep it in mind. Kids are 6 and 5 so need a big cab but short box. Thanks guys.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Just saw you are in the rust belt...the best thing you can do is look somewhere rust free for a truck and drive it back. Anything old enough to be under 7k in Ohio will have rust more than likely.

yosh1975

Observer
I am in the rust belt for sure! My 05 Tacoma is waiting for new frame courtesy of Toyota Motors. I have owned a few old trucks/cars and it makes repairs so much harder when everything is all rusted up or half way gone. I have an uncle out in Texas so I am looking out there. Fly in, buy truck, visit with family, and then roll home.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Perfect. I grew up in NE Ohio and the difference between my montero that spent 10 years there and my f250 I picked up out of western CO is night and day.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I'm looking for a similar truck as well. I also currently drive a Reg Cab Tacoma, I don't have kids though. I like the looks of the Rams but putting coin into the front end of a stock truck seems silly. So, I'm leaning towards a ford. I like driving a stick, so that limits the pool a ton. A texas truck would be awesome as I live in NJ and all the trucks here are rusted to bits as well. Post up a Pic if or when you get one!!!

-jorge

yosh1975

Observer
Chevy 6.0 would be nice but when driving my father in laws I can't go by too many gas stations before stopping. He has hd, probably 10mpg.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I like the looks of the Rams but putting coin into the front end of a stock truck seems silly. So, I'm leaning towards a ford.
-jorge

Any $7000 truck is going to need money put somewhere. Dodges, probably front end. Fords, probably motor. GM, well, I don't drive GMs so?? The point is, they all have their issues. Pick your poison and have at it!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I know I have been super lucky with my Ford. 2000 5.4 purchase with 165k now has 215k

Cost $100 on trans adapter $250 for wheel bearing $120 front shocks $80 for brakes. Oh I paid 4500 for the truck and 800 for current tiers. So less than 5600 in the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier