pickup recommendation

yosh1975

Observer
Hi all, looking for 4x4 with room for 4. 7kish budget. Will be used for family camping and occasionally driving to work. Currently own reg cab tacoma but too small for all of us. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

98dango

Expedition Leader
Every one will say get an old 7.3 crew cab or a square body chevy why because that's what is said hear. There good trucks. I love my superduty with a 5.4 gas. I got it for 4500 and have not put much in to it. You need to decide if you want a newer or older truck.

yosh1975

Observer
Used for sure. 7000 budget. You have 150 superduty or 250? How's it do on gas? Any problems?
I think an older Ford with 4.9L would be nice too.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I agree with a square body Chevy. If I had to buy another truck for around $7,000 right now, I'd get a 99-06 (or 07 Classic) Silverado. Well made bodies, good motors, and long lasting. I daily drive my 2wd 05 Silverado 75 miles a day. I take it to other states without a thought. So far it's the best truck I've owned. Hope this helps, and good luck finding a truck!

yosh1975

Observer
Gas only.
I like looks of f250s plus they have 5 spds and floor transfer.
I had a 2001 Chevy 4.8 with 5spd 2wd. Great truck only problem was abs in front or something. What size motor you recommending? Father in law has the 6.0 in his HD but he gets 10-12 mpg. I am hoping for 15ish.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Gas only.
I like looks of f250s plus they have 5 spds and floor transfer.
I had a 2001 Chevy 4.8 with 5spd 2wd. Great truck only problem was abs in front or something. What size motor you recommending? Father in law has the 6.0 in his HD but he gets 10-12 mpg. I am hoping for 15ish.

My truck has the 4.3L V6. It gets close to 20. Again, 2wd and a standard cab short box. It's a DD and goes to the grocery store. Yu can get the 4.8L V8, but I heard that's not much more power for the drop in MPG. I'd personally recommend the 5.3L V8.

98dango

Expedition Leader
My wife just sold her 4.8 5 speed 1/2 ton standard cab 4x4 long box. It would get 18-22 regular basis. Our mileage is never the exact same as our local fuel station changes grades and brands often.

Bagger

I would say a 2006 Honda Ridgeline but it would take some serious searching to find one in your price range

1meanz

Mullet Club Chairman
I would say a 2006 Honda Ridgeline but it would take some serious searching to find one in your price range

You've got to be joking LOL. Why would you come to a fullsize section of this forum and say that? He just said his Tacoma is too small. I don't think the puddle jumper you suggest is good for anything except fooling people who aren't smart enough to buy a real truck.

88-99 Chevy or GMC. Done...

Bojak

Adventurer
Get a square body chevy. Reason? Chicks dig old trucks, buddy dig old trucks, kids, grandma's, dogs, policemen, preist, ...... Buy a suburban or a crewcab and you're good to go. It really is a simple question to figure out, do I want a square suburban or a square crewcab? Flip a coin cuz either way you're winning. Glad I could help.

Paul B.

Adventurer
Anything mechanically sound you can find in your price range.

Amen. In that price range, the condition matters more much more than the model. Especially a 4x4, 4 door? Any full size Ford, Chevy, Dodge in good mechanical shape at a good price should be grabbed. The really good deals aren't around long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94